Oh Boy... Oh Geez... Crit chance is confusing...

Guys/gals,

I am very new to POE, around 30 days play time (D3 player for years, wish I would have switched earlier). I have been reading up on crit chance for my Tectonic Slam Marauder and I am now more confused... I am wondering about two specific crit modifiers. Global crit chance on a jewel VS Melee crit chance. If both Jewels have an 11% chance which one is better? I run tectonic slam, leap, and ancestral war chief totem.

And any character critiquing would be welcome as well! I am currently running T7 alched maps with few deaths if any.
Last bumped on Apr 20, 2018, 2:11:49 AM
"
Guys/gals,

I am very new to POE, around 30 days play time (D3 player for years, wish I would have switched earlier). I have been reading up on crit chance for my Tectonic Slam Marauder and I am now more confused... I am wondering about two specific crit modifiers. Global crit chance on a jewel VS Melee crit chance. If both Jewels have an 11% chance which one is better? I run tectonic slam, leap, and ancestral war chief totem.

And any character critiquing would be welcome as well! I am currently running T7 alched maps with few deaths if any.

Depending on how you're using them, there is no difference between those mods. One applies to everything including spells, and the other is limited only to melee attacks. If you're a melee build using only melee skills then they are equal.
Study and use poe wiki.
pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Critical_strike
"
Guys/gals,

The posts above me are correct.

The difference to Tectonic Strike is 0 for both those modifiers. However, If you use a build which incorporates other damage types the global crit can be better.

What's interesting is that a lot of people stack crit (global, local, melee, specific damage type crit) but still complain because the forget about the other part of it: Accuracy.

You have to hit before you can crit. :)

If the two things you listed are the only two damaging skills you are using, then global crit, melee critical strike, and weapon based critical strike (depending on what weapon you are using) all would basically perform similarly.

Now lets say you add a triggered spell in the mix (i.e. cast when channeling or cast on crit or something like that)... spells can only use that Global crit modifier OR spell crit OR crit associated with the element of the spell. In cases like that, the global crit modifier would be better. That being said, specific crit modifiers tend to have higher rolls on jewels and in tree so sometimes focusing is better.

:)
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Guys/gals,

Depending on how you're using them, there is no difference between those mods. One applies to everything including spells, and the other is limited only to melee attacks. If you're a melee build using only melee skills then they are equal.

Thanks for the answer. Would the melee crit chance work with the totem? I assume not?
"

Thanks for the answer. Would the melee crit chance work with the totem? I assume not?

Your critical strike chance also applies to your totem. So if it is a melee totem, then it should still work.
Last edited by Nubatron on Apr 17, 2018, 3:31:50 PM
deleted.
Last edited by MrBelugaBiscuit on Apr 17, 2018, 3:33:24 PM
"
"
Guys/gals,

The posts above me are correct.

The difference to Tectonic Strike is 0 for both those modifiers. However, If you use a build which incorporates other damage types the global crit can be better.

What's interesting is that a lot of people stack crit (global, local, melee, specific damage type crit) but still complain because the forget about the other part of it: Accuracy.

You have to hit before you can crit. :)

If the two things you listed are the only two damaging skills you are using, then global crit, melee critical strike, and weapon based critical strike (depending on what weapon you are using) all would basically perform similarly.

Now lets say you add a triggered spell in the mix (i.e. cast when channeling or cast on crit or something like that)... spells can only use that Global crit modifier OR spell crit OR crit associated with the element of the spell. In cases like that, the global crit modifier would be better. That being said, specific crit modifiers tend to have higher rolls on jewels and in tree so sometimes focusing is better.

:)

He is more in the 101 course. No reason to jump straight to 201 level coursework :)
"
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Guys/gals,

Every Skill Gem (and Support Gem) has a couple of tags under its name, you can see them when you hover over them with your mouse cursor. In case of your totem those tags are "Totem" "Attack" "Duration" "AoE" and "Melee". So that means any modifiers (like the Crit Chance we're talking about, but also things like damage or attack speed) that mention one or more of those will affect your skill, while global just basically means "all tags". So i.E. Global Crit Chance, Melee Crit Chance or Totem Crit Chacne all have the same effect on the Ancestral Warchief. Note that if something would say Melee Totem Crit Chance that would NOT mean that it applies twice just because two tags are mentiond, it rather means that both must fit for the bonus to apply.

I hope that was understandable and not confusing. As for critique your caracter: you would have to make them public in your profile setting for anyone to take a look.
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Apr 18, 2018, 10:55:32 AM
I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. I have also made my character public. I am at the point of not knowing what to really do to make greater returns other than 5-6 link on chest and 6 link on staff. Kind of hitting a wall at alched T9 maps.

Edit: And I'm poor! Have never even seen an Exalt. Still trying to learn what drops are valuable without taking the time to research each drop that Neversink seems to think is good on semi-strict.
Last edited by MrBelugaBiscuit on Apr 18, 2018, 2:42:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info