[3.2]Lightning Tendrils Penta Totem - 2M+shaper real DPS, fast clearing, cheap to gear, fun to play

lol he actually played Lightning Tendrils the absolute madman

Welcome to a build guide that actually encourages you to use lightning tendrils. As far as I know, there are zero other people in the league using this skill aside from myself and the build’s creator, but that changes today. Every so often someone discovers that a skill is actually really good but nobody pays attention to it, and today, I’m here to tell you that tendrils (in some ways) is that skill.

Credit for this build, the passive tree, and the idea all goes to Xanthochroid. He made the theorycraft, I checked it out and it seemed solid, so I ran it. He got almost everything right with that theorycraft, and in reality, this is mostly just a formalized build guide of his creation (done with his permission). This is essentially a complete copy of view-thread/2092215
Why play this build?

Pros

+Very high single target DPS (400k+ per totem real DPS vs Shaper)
+Very inexpensive to start playing, has a high gear cap so you can go from nothing to top tier
+No reflect risk (although ele reflect maps are annoying)
+Really good for Uber lab carries & runs, somehow
+Solid clear speed for all map tiers
+++You get to tell all your friends that you’re actually, unironically playing a lightning tendrils build

Cons

-You usually have to run a mana flask. Sucks.
-Defenses rely on a relatively high eHP pool and regen, which can feel wonky at times
-Gem swap for bosses

Gearing

Required gear

To make this build work, you will need at least a 4-linked Soul Mantle, two Kikazaru rings, and a Self-Flagellation jewel. All of these items combined should be 5c or less, which you should have by the time you reach Act 7 or 8 or whenever you start putting everything together.

While not required, the absolute best weapon setup for this build is dual wielding Shimmeron. These wands are just ridiculous and you do not get the downside of them with a totem build. Yes, they are better than dual void battery. However, if you check the video section, I’ve got a sick montage of me easily clearing yellow maps with two white driftwood wands and a 4L, so don’t consider these required. I used Apep’s Rage and a rare wand until I could get Shimmerons on day 3 or so of the league and was carrying Uber Lab runs with that setup and a 5L Soul Mantle.

For helmet, gloves, boots, belt, and amulet, focus on getting life and resists. You’re going to need to be slightly overcapped on resists because you will have resist-reducing curses on you (at 20% strength thanks to Kikazaru). Adding mana will indirectly also add to your life pool so try to get flat mana if you can. I found that getting enough dex to use Vaal Haste was somewhat challenging: you might want to try to get one item with added dex. Otherwise, do what I did and get dex on a jewel. For jewels, you want life of course, and anything crit multi, spell damage, lightning damage, or cast speed that applies to your setup. I have a 4-mod jewel that is basically perfect, sniped it for 90c. Others were self-crafted or a couple chaos.

You have to run a mana flask. It sucks but also doubles as a second life flask in some ways. Get “of dousing” or “of curing” on it so you can dispel ignites and poison (very annoying with MoM) and put the opposite mod on your life flask. I also highly recommend a diamond flask because you can have it up at basically all times and get a huge DPS boost from it. I have an Experimenter’s Diamond Flask of Staunching (dispels bleed and has extended duration) and I consider this to be the best possible flask in that slot. Quicksilver flask of adrenaline and another flask up to you (I recommend either Atziri’s Promise or a silver flask).
My Gear

Gem Links

6L in Soul Mantle: Arc/Tendrils – Lightning Penetration – Controlled Destruction – Faster Casting – Increased Critical Damage – Concentrated Effect
Up to you which gems to cut out before you get 5 or 6 links. Conc effect was my 6th link so I could clear better early on in league, but it added 50% more damage when I finally got it. Only gem that you should absolutely definitely have in a 4 or 5 link setup is lightning pen.

4L – Flame Dash – Increased Duration – Arcane Surge – Faster Casting
It is important to monitor gem levels here so that arcane surge procs every time you flame dash. I keep Flame Dash at level 17 and Arcane Surge at level 9 so that I spend 51 mana exactly and proc the buff every time.
4L – Immortal Call – CWDT – Increased Duration – Vaal Haste

Aside from the 6L setup and the two 4Ls you have a lot of freedom with gems in this setup. Kaom’s Roots are viable and if you can balance your resists without boots, I recommend using them. Other random gems you will need somewhere are:

Conductivity
Wrath
Lightning Golem

I also personally recommend a culling strike setup but it’s totally optional. Fit in as much or as little as you like. Do NOT run extra auras, it will lower your eHP pool because we take Mind over Matter. You may even want to forgo or toggle off Wrath when you don’t need it.

Passive Skill Tree and Bandits and Stuff

Note that the PoB link is completely unaltered from Xanthochroid’s original. Just replace Spark with Arc.
PoB Pastebin

https://pastebin.com/Lz9nHxmX

Passive Skill Tree

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.2.0/AAAABAUCABzcEFgdFIPzFm_AmlnzjxqUb92MvOpqQ6IACPSa4BZANZLyRacIRtdkM7b6hX3-j8Bm_of-CjrhPfxVxvrStz5mVCyc-d34k15d8B88LfemjM9fP3GFCar2SOASKhPv6xQgfINXKdi97w46WEyzUEfbXmebBUIfAuRRjRkLYXsgOhYEUdgk0f1YY9D10B9FncauZp6xNho4Jy8DmljlrrN2Ea4-rhJEoaeUg1-mV6Pycg8y0ZBVUDAgbmha42qPRouMjmSGgoUyg9sEs0GWU1KvbH6vKyYEB1htWitFR9n8g8xN4xDMTq42xREP2V_r7mjy

Bandits: Help Alira.

Ascendancy order: Pursuit of Faith > Ritual of Awakening > Conviction of Power > Illuminated Devotion/Divine Guidance

I went with Divine Guidance to add a bit to MoM but Illuminated Devotion is viable as well. Your call.

FAQ

Q: Wouldn’t Ball Lightning be better?
A: I think Ball Lightning is a pain in the ass, so not really. It requires different gearing, skill tree, and playstyle to some degree. However, it would be higher raw DPS.

Q: Wouldn’t Spark be better for clearing than Arc?
A: I was using Spark originally for clearing, but then figured out that level 16 Arc was clearing t14 maps better/faster/more comfortably than level 19 Spark, so the answer is no.

Q: wtf lightning tendrils
A: Linking the lvl 21 tendrils gem to friends when they ask what I’m playing is fun

Q: What are defenses like when flasks run out?
A: Run around in circles and hope you don’t die while life and mana regen. That’s why I don’t usually like regen builds but that’s how totems are.

Videos

Yellow maps with white driftwood wands and a 4L
https://youtu.be/3k2bdvzubBY
First Uber Atziri I’ve done in like 8 months
https://youtu.be/UZT4r-v6LhM

Last edited by Weeshnaw997 on Mar 10, 2018, 10:49:13 PM
Last bumped on Apr 13, 2018, 2:14:34 PM
wat, this iznt frustbolt, ur bad lol

Anyhow, thanks much for formatting this 10X better than I ever would, I'm absolutely inept when it comes to actually making guides.

Long live our lord the Tendril.
Tendrils build? videos show arc totems 0_o

Hello,

I dont get why you (and some other totem builds) dont pick Shamanistic fury ?
"
Thottz wrote:
Hello,

I dont get why you (and some other totem builds) dont pick Shamanistic fury ?

Not as much damage per node as all the other close DPS options.
Tendrils are really nice but arc is pretty medicore. What changes would be needed to use ball lightning and tendrils?
HC?
"
Tecken1407 wrote:
HC?

Probably not, the tree is optimized for softcore. You would need a lot more life nodes to make it viable and personally I don't like running totems on HC at all because no leech.

"
Milaan wrote:

Tendrils are really nice but arc is pretty medicore. What changes would be needed to use ball lightning and tendrils?

I'm not sure why you would use ball lightning as a clear skill but not single target. Arc is probably the best lightning-based clear skill out there because it is fast, has a lot of range, and its chain mechanics clear any number of enemies higher than 1 really quickly. Ball lightning with slower projectiles gives higher single target DPS but has some caveats. I believe Xanthochroid made another theorycraft for that skill, check it out.

"
CoolColJ wrote:

Tendrils build? videos show arc totems 0_o

Arc is used for clear because it has really good range and pack-clearing potential. Tendrils can be used with conc/AOE gem swap for clearing but it won't feel as comfortable. Arc, in turn, can't really be used for single target. It never has been able to, really. For bossing you're pretty much always going to use Tendrils (or, say, Uber lab farming, which I've been doing a lot of)
Last edited by Weeshnaw997 on Mar 11, 2018, 3:05:34 PM
"
Weeshnaw997 wrote:

"
Milaan wrote:

I'm not sure why you would use ball lightning as a clear skill but not single target. Arc is probably the best lightning-based clear skill out there because it is fast, has a lot of range, and its chain mechanics clear any number of enemies higher than 1 really quickly. Ball lightning with slower projectiles gives higher single target DPS but has some caveats. I believe Xanthochroid made another theorycraft for that skill, check it out.

Yes, im am seeing that now too. Maybe i should have tested a bit more and level my arc gem before saying such things. Arc is wonderful :-)

One questions remains... Why are you going to the nodes all the way down near Marauder? Wouldnt it make more sense to spend points to reach the crit nodes near Shadow? Is it just because of the life down the there or are there other benefits i dont get?
"
Milaan wrote:

Yes, im am seeing that now too. Maybe i should have tested a bit more and level my arc gem before saying such things. Arc is wonderful :-)

One questions remains... Why are you going to the nodes all the way down near Marauder? Wouldnt it make more sense to spend points to reach the crit nodes near Shadow? Is it just because of the life down the there or are there other benefits i dont get?

Yes, we need the life nodes down by Marauder start and between Marauder and Scion. While we're down there we go for the totem node too. Also, if you're struggling to get enough res (at a league start or SSF or something) then Diamond Skin is 2 points away and well worth it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info