Auction House (AH) still not implemented yet...

Not sure how many years it has been, but there is still no AH. Can we get it up and running please? The sole reason for not having one, that being "it promotes player interaction", is null and void as players join another players hideout, open trade, trade occurs, players drop group.

Furthermore, statistically speaking, I have been running a little test of my own. 1 in 10 players will respond to "Hi" when you want something FROM them. 1 in 24 players will respond when they are buying something from you.

I would also point out that there are a multitude of other reasons to have an AH, as follows:

- No more waiting for players
- No more lack of replies
- No more replies of "Now offer real price or I ignore you"
- No more abuse when you message someone a second time a few minutes later
- No more players with things for sale also using DND
- No more players likewise begin AFK

I'm sure there are more reasons to have an AH. I don't think it's because GGG can't be bothered, because they are so good with literally everything else involved in this game. I've no doubt they they/you [GGG] are still under the impression that players want to interact. They don't. Players in-game are no different to their real life persona -- the least time spent with people they don't already know, the better.

I cannot see anyone of at least reasonable intellect not agreeing with this current situation. However, if you can think of any reasons, for or against an AH, I'd be interested to hear it, as I may have missed a vital piece of the puzzle.
Last bumped on Jan 25, 2018, 10:24:53 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Auction house's have screwed over ever eco-system in every game they were implemented into.

Think about how bad price fixing would be if there was zero limitations to the people doing it.

Right now to price fix requires a lot of effort, with an AH and bots able to skim through it all day, people would easily price fix / screw any and all values up.

I could simply leave a bot running on the 2nd instance of POE running and have it buying any ex for less than what I set up then force the community to pay what I want for ex.

A few guilds were already in trouble for doing cordinated price fixing. It's the same reason they ended up white listing the main API sites and letting the other ones get a 1 minute delay to prevent item scalping prior to indexing.

so if there are people running API scrapers, and beating refresh indexes on key price items so they can try and price fix. What you think will happen when it's all automated and they don't even have to slow down to get to the person?
Auction house would be a bad idea in this game, and it'll be like D3's AH all over again...so probably not a good idea.

Sure, it would speed-up the trading process and such, but the majority of the community doesn't want it, becuz they learned what happen w/ D3's AH.

Lesson learned, no AH.
I used to want an AH but after some critical thinking I believe I understand much better why they're terrible for games like this. While trading is not very fun in this game and can definitely be improved, an offline, D3 style AH would kill this game. The economy is pretty bad each league after the first few weeks. If we had an AH it would happen after a day or two, perhaps even within hours for some items. I personally don't want to end up with exalts going for 1500c and 6l shav's costing an alch. That kind of value erosion is what happens in every game with an AH (and I've played a lot of games with player-to-player AH). You see, POE doesn't have those RPG staples of consumables and similar items to keep an economy running when items flood the market. It is primarily already rolled items and the consumables are the currency. It's odd. But regardless it would get destroyed by an AH.

Also, GGG has explicitly stated this is not happening in POE, so I read these threads with some bemusement. To be honest, I'd be happy with:

1. A really, really robust, in-game item search system.
2. The ability to trade without leaving my instance.

If we had both of those then 90% of trade would be fixed I think. For #2 I'm thinking a shop in my H/O. It's only open when I'm online and only has spots for a limited number of items. I put items and prices, buyers put orbs in that unlock the item to be removed. Something like that isn't an AH and only provides a small convenience boost by me not having to leave my map or the lab to conduct the transaction. You could run your shop by mixing items that sell quickly with more expensive items that sell slowly. If you could have 4 or 5 items it would be enough. Although, as I type that, perhaps that is still too much of a cost-of-effort reduction and would also be damaging to the economy. I don't know but I like the concept anyway.

P.S. As I reread that last paragraph that concept is so close to an AH that some might argue it's no different. In my experience that is significantly different than an AH where items from lots of different people can all be purchased individually. I'm speaking of taking only one step out of the transaction, me returning to the h/o to put the item in a window and have the buyer put orbs in another window. Can't we do that while I'm still in the lab? ;-)

P.P.S. Actually, remote trading would be good. Forget all that other mumbo jumbo. lol.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Jan 22, 2018, 9:37:15 PM
"
keeperofstars wrote:
Auction house's have screwed over ever eco-system in every game they were implemented into.

Think about how bad price fixing would be if there was zero limitations to the people doing it.

Right now to price fix requires a lot of effort, with an AH and bots able to skim through it all day, people would easily price fix / screw any and all values up.

I could simply leave a bot running on the 2nd instance of POE running and have it buying any ex for less than what I set up then force the community to pay what I want for ex.

A few guilds were already in trouble for doing cordinated price fixing. It's the same reason they ended up white listing the main API sites and letting the other ones get a 1 minute delay to prevent item scalping prior to indexing.

so if there are people running API scrapers, and beating refresh indexes on key price items so they can try and price fix. What you think will happen when it's all automated and they don't even have to slow down to get to the person?

How exactly did a few guilds got in trouble? GGG telling them ''be more careful guys, folks are starting to get angry you guys are price fixing'' ?
Here is a thing, I'm for the auction house, not because I want to put less effort but because GGG are not doing jack squat against price fixers. You might say ''but price fixing is not against the rules'' which is funny since GGG could add it in the rules, but they would rather let jobless kids rule their game's economy with the use of bots while emphasizing heavily how ''trading is a major part of their game''.

"
Raxxxis wrote:
The sole reason for not having one, that being "it promotes player interaction", is null and void as players join another players hideout, open trade, trade occurs, players drop group.

you got it wrong.

"player interaction" isn't meant for testing your social skills, it's for slowing down trades so player wanting to manipulate the market (f.e. to buy all items of a certain type off the market to sell it for a higher price) have to at least group up.

as soon as there is automatisation, there is botting. you can see it live already ingame for trading currency, reddit idiots even appreciated those bots for being efficient. that wont change for item bots.

i have no desire to run external programs to work the item auction house as it's common for other game to underbid other players and being able to sell my stuff.
"
cronus wrote:
"
Raxxxis wrote:
The sole reason for not having one, that being "it promotes player interaction", is null and void as players join another players hideout, open trade, trade occurs, players drop group.

you got it wrong.

"player interaction" isn't meant for testing your social skills, it's for slowing down trades so player wanting to manipulate the market (f.e. to buy all items of a certain type off the market to sell it for a higher price) have to at least group up.

as soon as there is automatisation, there is botting. you can see it live already ingame for trading currency, reddit idiots even appreciated those bots for being efficient. that wont change for item bots.

i have no desire to run external programs to work the item auction house as it's common for other game to underbid other players and being able to sell my stuff.

There is already botting happening lol, have you not dealt with folks you msg and get an automatic message right away and a trade invite?

Edit: Keep in mind, I'm talking about a customized message on how ''item name'' is ready for pick up, not a ''sure'' or just a normal trade invite with no words.
Last edited by andreicde on Jan 23, 2018, 1:58:45 AM
"
andreicde wrote:

There is already botting happening lol, have you not dealt with folks you msg and get an automatic message right away and a trade invite?

Edit: Keep in mind, I'm talking about a customized message on how ''item name'' is ready for pick up, not a ''sure'' or just a normal trade invite with no words.

Stop talking nonsense, those aren't bots. It's a trade tool available right here on the forums. Educating yourself alittle bit wouldn't hurt.
GGG can barely keep up with patches to keep the game from exploding while you run it or some godforsaken some other issue (such as their balance decisions).

I 100% do not trust them to add an AH that would function properly without duping items or some other stuff.

I would add an "ingame" profile system though where you can add comments/feedback for the person in question for their trading that would show if you want to see it before you message the person for the item.

So I can perma ignore all price fixers.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 23, 2018, 2:07:56 AM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
I 100% do not trust them to add an AH that would function properly without duping items or some other stuff.

That's not even the issue, i 100% don't trust that any AH no matter how good would not be abused by the players, to the point that it would make the trading we have now look fucking awesome.

Dose not matter anyway, they have been saying no since the early development of the game and have continued to say no to one.

You are not going to get one, accept it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info