An overview of Abyss league.

bump
"
Grauthrim wrote:

11) The map "drop" system is completely and utterly ambiguous and I fail to see why. Constantly I feel GGG seems to find it required that nerfing anything in regards to sustainable income from the game, even with 57% bonus on the Atlas, it mostly feel's worthless. To play for days without finding even guardian map drops to then get a few that sputter on the ground at once is more than demoralising and does nothing but create a negative picture of the end game experience. Players should be rewarded for mapping, they should be able to sustain maps. I've heard nothing but complaints off guild members about this throughout the entire league.

Great post and I agree with most stuff mentioned - except for for the mapping system.

They way I understand the mapping system is:
Its not meant to grant you access to anything.
Its meant to be a currency sink and its baiting you into investing more for getting access to harder and hopefully more rewarding content. But thats just a carrot on a stick, if you will.

The system is great and highly profitable, IF you actually know what you are doing.
Sustaining red tier maps isnt an issue - again - IF you know what you are doing.

In conclusion that means to me, the mapping system is serving at least 2 purposes:

1. Draining currency out of the system to
a) slow down progression
b) fight inflation

2. Keep the high tier content somewhat exclusive
Thats exactly what you are complaining about I understand that. But if GGG wouldnt keep that content exclusive and everyone could do it whenever he wants to, even the best drops from toptier content would be worthless soon. Why would you buy a Starforge, if you could just farm Shaper nonstop til it drops? If no one buys Starforges (because if you want it, you farm it yourself) there will be hundrets and hundrets of them listed on poe.trade
Given the investment needed to run shaper, it would be a guaranteed financial loss if you cant even sell the best drops.
If that happens, the carrot on the stick is gone and that is not allowed to happen in a game where you are supposed to grind your ass off and play for months ;)

The carrot has to exist and has to appear big and shiny enough to give you a sufficient incentive to endure the grind needed to get there. There can be several carrots in place encouraging different approaches and goals. But that doesnt change the fact, that there has to be a carrot.
Unfortunately that carrot is on a stick and you´ll never reach it unless you know how to break the game.

This is frustrating concept for sure, but highly rewarding once you know what you are supposed to do and it suits PoE as a knowledge based game very well.

Cheers
Yeah you leaving the game is really going to make us care more.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Player089 wrote:

No, the reason you died three times to the same boss is that you are not good at the game and should practice more.

I have started to translate "get skill" with "get HP/ES". That´s at least, true and solved most of my problems.
I guess it makes people happier to talk about their supposed skill than talking about, that they made it to stack enough global defenses or - rarely and even more rarely on their own - mechanics replacing them. Admitting it would help troubled players more than a failed gg attitude.

Regarding Innocence in my opinion GGG did a exceptionally good job. One-shots out of nowhere in maps are more annoying because they are harder to analize and consequently harder to avoid.

Wow, this thread has shown there is a knight even whiter than the one I always thought was unbeatable. Jeez, what a load of crap from one single poster!

Anyway, the difference in experience regarding the innocence fight is probably one of different builds. True melee can be utterly fucked in this fight, which is pretty easy for a ranged character. That effect probably explains a lot of the mindless "git gud" posts some people always spam. The difference in DPS and/or survivability between build styles is huge in POE, so people have wildly different experiences even if they are similarly skilled at games.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
I agree with most of the points. I'll pick on two that I disagree with though:

"
Grauthrim wrote:

10)Chimera fight sequencing is amongst the most ridiculous in the game, when I talk about gauranteed deaths.... the smoke cloud phase is amongst the least fun, frustrating aspects of the guardian fights as a whole. I feel it's honestly one of the worst bosses in the entire game, their is literally no way of mitigating other than block/eva the damage chimera doles out, even with serious damage mitigation on your character. The design choice is clearly supposed to point out the contrasts between different builds and suggests that you should use a more tanky character yet, all the other guardians don't display this problem and have easily learnable and progressive fight systems. Yet the Chimera fight sits alone as one of the most talked about and annoying fights in the game. Little has changed or ever developed from these complaints and simply a lot of it feels brushed under the rug and forgotten about versus new content.

As long as there's enough movement speed (or a decent movement skill), manual IC laughs at Chimera clouds.

"
Grauthrim wrote:
11) The map "drop" system is completely and utterly ambiguous and I fail to see why. Constantly I feel GGG seems to find it required that nerfing anything in regards to sustainable income from the game, even with 57% bonus on the Atlas, it mostly feel's worthless. To play for days without finding even guardian map drops to then get a few that sputter on the ground at once is more than demoralising and does nothing but create a negative picture of the end game experience. Players should be rewarded for mapping, they should be able to sustain maps. I've heard nothing but complaints off guild members about this throughout the entire league.

157/157 Atlas here. Donated all of my t12 and below maps to guild a while ago. Recently I also gave away all my t13 maps, since I'm having no issues running t15-t16 maps almost permanently. It's only occasional that I drop to t14.

As for the multiplayer aspect of the game, yeah. The mate I usually run with is someone I trust completely, e.g. if I dropped a mirror I'd let him sell it in his shop without a shred of doubt that he'd scam me. Our mapping is a collective effort, although I have PA on for the sake of clarity, we share the drops whenever necessary. The contrast between this and the rare few times when I run maps with randoms is pretty clear. People just tend to run off (because I'm not playing a 'clear every map in five seconds' - build), obviously getting all the drops and in the worst cases even leaving exp range. They open boxes/abysses/essences etc before I even get there. Sometimes they even complain about the maps I open, because I run a bit of everything instead of the most efficient layout a million times in a row. I never charge anyone for running my maps, and these days I no longer feel very comfortable with inviting strangers to map with me due to the myriad of issues I've had in the past. I'd prefer finding one or two people more to occasionally run duo maps with, but it's almost impossible to find suitable people...

"
Miská wrote:
No, I'm getting 2x t14 back for every t14 I run. This is an average over about 2000x t14's. Every 2 days I sell off about 100x t14's (And then another 100 other red map on top of that t11-t13). But then again, I actually spend currency (40-50c per map) to sustain. And make about double that back every map.

2000 x 40c = 80 000c

~80c is an exalt i think? So...

80 000 / 80c = 1 000 exalts

And if every map let's you 'make about double back', that mean's you have about 2k exalts, at a conservative estimation.

Two choices here. Either you're lying your ass off, OR you're actually one of those in the top 0.000....1% of wealth scaling and are just bragging about how rich you are. Pick your poison.

"
Player089 wrote:
"
Pinchyskree wrote:

Maybe you could actually read what I posted on the previous page.

It doesn't matter. You died to him multiple times because you are bad, you lacked the skill. The fight is extremly easy once you have seen it, you can get hit by pretty much everything in this fight without dying and there is almost zero overlapping. You don't need any statue to hide behind, you can dodge every single damage by just moving correctly.
The reason you died in this fight is your own lack of skill, not the design of the fight.

Pretty sure that implies a lack of knowledge, not a lack of skill. They're two different things. You clearly don't even know what "skill" in gaming means, yet you try to comment on it...

"
Pinchyskree wrote:
No, the reason I died is because it's designed with an instant death attack that is unreadable and can be unavoidable on first play which causes new players to feel cheated and leave. I did beat it fast but it felt like shit.

Yeah, and? If you don't know about Malachai's smash it'll kill you all the same. Or Dominus' smash. Or Vaal smash. Act 4 Piety beam. Act 4 Daresso in its entirety. Act 6 crab boss. That fucking goat Pantheon boss that does a fire curtain. Kitava. Tukohama. So on and so on. If you play a game blind you're to expect deaths.
"
Grauthrim wrote:
Life does not matter in the context of boss behavior or end game mapping.

this is the single dumbest sentence i have ever seen on this entire forum
congratulations
"

Yeah, and? If you don't know about Malachai's smash it'll kill you all the same. Or Dominus' smash. Or Vaal smash. Act 4 Piety beam. Act 4 Daresso in its entirety. Act 6 crab boss. That fucking goat Pantheon boss that does a fire curtain. Kitava. Tukohama. So on and so on. If you play a game blind you're to expect deaths.

I've only played up to the Innocence fight so I don't know about act 6 crab yet or Kitava outside of descriptions of the fight.

For Vaal Oversoul and Dominus, you can see them lift an arm with the intent that they will slam it down. I think for Vaal Oversoul you need to be close for it to choose the Slam (on new bosses I always do a few hits to bait out anything like this). Dominus is on a well lit platform and he will do the smash in such a way as you can see it clearly and safely whilst moving away, so I've never died to those, which both do no where near the damage of the bullet hell, they also look powerful, unlike those tiny fireballs.

With Daresso, he builds up in power, intensity and area covered. This meant I could gauge what I could be hit by and for how long and know when to apply damage, so I beat him first time without dying as well, as a melee duelist.

I can't remember Malachai's VollSlam at all, I think my play style must have avoided this every time. I only remember good damage from the Tentacle Portal, which after the first time, managed to not take much from it, since it's more of a fast drain (since act 4 was new, I played everything and grinded it out a bit and was a bit stronger than normal) .

The Innocence deaths just felt much worse, with awkward things happening and the contrast in boss strength way too far apart.
We can now trade in this game , so everything balances out perfectly :D
I can't really take the OP's comments on one shots seriously when he is apparently dying to bleeds. I can't even hear the bleed sound over my music and I still can't remember a time when they gave me an issue.
Last edited by Telzen on Feb 7, 2018, 7:42:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info