Movies we recommend

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
The Matrix. This movie changed my life.

The original is my absolute, number one favorite movie of all time. :-)

You genuinely need to see more movies, or at least admit your cool 90s shades are obscuring a more objective view. That movie is almost unwatchable now.

So I watched a little flick called Maggie last night. Oh man. Arnie can act. Who knew. That movie devastated me.

To each his own. I looked past the 90s black trench-coats and shades to see the true value of the movie, and enjoy it for what it is, even with Keanu Reeves' horrible acting. ;-)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Damn, was hoping for Maggie love. Way to let a sappy guy down.

Not a zombie movie fan, but just for you I'll give it a watch. ;-)
Rampage. It's an extremely inspiring movie for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337057/
HAIL SATAN!
"
de99ial wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6197028/

The Coming War on China (2016)

The Coming War on China is John Pilger's 60th film for ITV.

pilger is fantastic, its a shame his sort of journalism has been all but sidelined by autocue readers and embedded pr regurgitators.

"
kolyaboo wrote:
I love Baron Munchausen. Haven't seen it in years.

+1

"
de99ial wrote:

Also i recommend:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/

Utopia.

Seriously reading about this is just spoiling the journey throught the exploring the story.

I really liked utopia, visually is was great, the music was awesome and the vibe of the thing was top quality. Shame it got cancelled.

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
The Matrix. This movie changed my life.

The original is my absolute, number one favorite movie of all time. :-)

you know what, I enjoyed the first matrix movie. The whole thing has now got such baggage from the sequels, the whole ham fisted philosophy aspects that have now essentially become memes... its hard now to see the movie outside of that for me. I can just about manage it, but having seen it a lot already on top of that I cant bring myself to put it on again. But as a sci fi action film I think for its time it was absolutely solid and as unfashionable as it is I give credit to the brothers for trying to push the envelope.

They may have fallen short when u view it as a trilogy, the attempts to pull in all the religious stuff, the philosophical stuff, the social commentary, the technological stuff. It all got a bit messy and clumsy, a bit pretentious, a bit overly impressed with itself, a bit comicbook. But you know what, they tried. They didnt make lost in space with joey from friends, they didnt make divergent.insurgent.detergent, they didnt make independence bay, they set out to make an impossibly dense and layered film that spanned from an iceslick wowfest of cooler than cool kung fu sci fi through to an intellectual mindblower that dragged in the entire scope of modern social, political and philosophical thinking. and yes, they failed, but what ambition in a medium just full of utter bullshittery and wankbankism. The movie was still better than 99% of big budget action films even as, in my opinion, a film that fell short on so many of those levels it attempted to reach. I walked out of the cinema after seeing the first matrix and felt like holy fuck, that was really something.

If you havent read them, from a sci fi perspective I think everything good in the matrix was essentially lifted from 3 books which did them a lot better, an awful lot better for my money. 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson, and to a larger extent imo 'Hyperion' and 'Fall of Hyperion' by Dan Simmons. I dunno if ur a book guy but theyre worth a bash if you liked the matrix.

for me the 2 hyperion books really hammer home how you can take that war for the fate of humanity waged across time, space and cyberspace dragging in the religious and political scope of human culture and add in wayyyy more stuff than the matrix did and yet pull it off in the grandest of fashions where matrix was left looking like a 14 year old clumsily waffling out bong philosophy in comparison. The matrix essentially attempted to steal maybe 1/4 of that book duos contents and then collapsed under its weight, at least thats how it felt to me.

"
fatkatmamma wrote:
"
S0ULSH0CK wrote:
Videodrome

Thanks for that, was a very good movie! Any other recommendations?

NP, and sure, but i have to admit i haven't seen this one, its just that some guy in 4chan recommended it to me so ill post it here for ya

Naked Lunch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102511/
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
They didnt make lost in space with joey from friends, they didnt make divergent.insurgent.detergent, they didnt make independence bay...
LOL, true.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
and yes, they failed
Failed? No. They succeeded with the original: $463 million worth of golden success for a film budget of $63 million. On opening weekend, they made back 1/3 of their budget. In the next two months they made $160 million. Combined, the entire series made $1.5 billion. It's that original, almost half a billion, that was the real money from fans. The following billion was just Hollywood action from the unwashed masses.

The sequels ruined the franchise for many of the core fans, myself included, but I still watch the original Matrix at least once a year. I forget about the sequels, I forget about the memes, I forget about all of their fanfare, games, etc., and put myself back into that pre-millennium mindset to just enjoy the journey again.

And you said it best as to why I do that :-) ...
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I walked out of the cinema after seeing the first matrix and felt like holy fuck, that was really something.
Box started.
I figure all the larger movies or blockbusters will be covered -- figure some of the lower budget "kind of surprised I liked it" movies need a home...... (Not necessarily my favorites but noteworthy)

-Clerks
-Army of Darkness

Also worth noting for the simple quotable aspect of it:

-The Princess Bride
"
Nubatron wrote:
Also worth noting for the simple quotable aspect of it:

-The Princess Bride

One of my top ten for sure. :-)

Yet the Princess Bride, a sleeper turned geek/cult-classic, always disappoints me when I watch it again. I seem to have fonder memories of it, but perhaps that's because of the memes. The level of cheese in this movie is high, but it sort of makes fun of itself along the way, so that makes it alright.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Dec 21, 2017, 10:10:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info