Biggest concern for 3.1(mapping wise)

32 new maps and a completely new redrawn atlas is both amazing news, but will it influence the end game to take another fresh route? Currently, if you focus specifically to hit that level 100, all you do is run 1-2 shaped maps(or in this league - Beachhead, thank god it's gone) to 100, roll an easy pack size mod and repeat. Facetank all mobs on map, finish it in 1 minute and start a new one. Over and over and over. The difference between exp per hour from Tier 11 and Tier 15 is very slim so it's more effective to run a T11 as it's faster to complete, thus it provides more loot and exp on a longer run. If you are still with me on this, I think it's important to make higher tier maps more rewarding to run, both exp and loot wise or make lower tier maps less rewarding to run. It's also important to make diffucult map mods more rewarding as well.
Basically what I mean is there is very little motivation to run difficult content while mapping. Will 3.1 change the current meta? Because there is no point of making a whole expansion, add new maps, new bosses, all that effort for nothing, coz people will be ignoring all that content and brainlessly run 1 shaped map till their eyes fall out.
Last bumped on Nov 19, 2017, 6:29:50 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
GGG have said they want to normalize xp/h for bad and good maps. But they didnt think it through. If xp/h is same for Torture Chamber and Shaped Strand - why the fuck would anyone play awful map like Torture Chamber?

So, the only hope is something in new Atlas changes the mapping meta. For people wanting to get to 100, new items dropping in zones affected by Shaper/Elder (I'm just guessing here) will not be incentive enough. For example, Opal Rings are very valuable but I'm not gonna run shit zones like Maze or Colosseum.

With Beachhead gone, players will simply move to next thing. Poorjoys 24/7. We go from two maps worth playing in 3.0 to one map in 3.1. But I pray I'm wrong.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Nov 18, 2017, 5:13:46 PM
Exactly, as far as I can see in 3.1 there is no incentive to run various mapping content if all you focus on is exp per hour. Poorjoys is at least a little more semi-challenging map, but %exp should be nerfed and the map tier should be moved to 12-13+ to make it more dangerous to run. I also hope for their map density rebalance. Maybe they actually make it right this time so map mods synergize well with unpopular maps to add more density in them so those maps can actually compete with easy layout maps in terms of exp per hour.
Biggest problem is shaped maps, they kill the end game, imo. Being able to control what maps you can drop is the biggest mistake from GGG, it completely kills any incentive to run other maps on atlas more than once. But maybe if they finally rebalance all maps right, there will be no need to run only shaped maps.
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
Exactly, as far as I can see in 3.1 there is no incentive to run various mapping content if all you focus on is exp per hour. Poorjoys is at least a little more semi-challenging map, but %exp should be nerfed and the map tier should be moved to 12-13+ to make it more dangerous to run. I also hope for their map density rebalance. Maybe they actually make it right this time so map mods synergize well with unpopular maps to add more density in them so those maps can actually compete with easy layout maps in terms of exp per hour.
Biggest problem is shaped maps, they kill the end game, imo. Being able to control what maps you can drop is the biggest mistake from GGG, it completely kills any incentive to run other maps on atlas more than once. But maybe if they finally rebalance all maps right, there will be no need to run only shaped maps.

Letting us run choosen map was a good decision. Let's be honest poe is mostly single player game (I guess for 99.99% of players only "online" part is trading). There is no reason to limit anybody in what type of content they can make.
Also from what i know in terms of best outcome from 3.1 you will have to run different maps (tier also matters) for better loot (elder, shaper items & new guardian fights).

I think it's balanaced this way. If i want to run one map to reach lvl 100 it's not your problem as it doesn't affect you in any way, I can't invade your maps destroying fun for you or anything like that. However when it comes to loot (part of the game you may consider "online") from 3.1 higher difficulty = better drop.
Last edited by karoollll2534 on Nov 18, 2017, 5:59:05 PM
"
karoollll2534 wrote:
Letting us run choosen map was a good decision. Let's be honest poe is mostly single player game (I guess for 99.99% of players only "online" part is trading). There is no reason to limit anybody in what type of content they can make.
Also from what i know in terms of best outcome from 3.1 you will have to run different maps (tier also matters) for better loot (elder, shaper items & new guardian fights).

I think it's balanaced this way. If i want to run one map to reach lvl 100 it's not your problem as it doesn't affect you in any way, I can't invade your maps destroying fun for you or anything like that. However when it comes to loot (part of the game you may consider "online") from 3.1 higher difficulty = better drop.

As of racing aspect it is my problem and it does affect me in many ways. You are saying that there is no reason to limit anybody but having shaped maps is exactly that. If i want to compete on ladder, for example, and get 100 fast I have to run shaped maps to be able to compete with others. Players who run shaped maps have an advantage over players who run atlas whatever way they like. You agree with me on this? That's exactly what means being limited. Before making shaped maps GGG should have made sure they could provide at least 1 more alternative option for effective exp per hour. Which i still hope will be the case in 3.1. Just to highlight, I m not showing off as a pro racer or anything like that. I love to race and did have some successful runs here and there but there are better racers out there for sure. So i hope you get my point.
And when you focus on exp per hour, you don't care much about loots anyway, so the whole idea of the expansion to make you jump from map to map is only an advantage to get some cool craftable items, nothing more. It won't affect your exp per hour in any way.
"
toyotatundra wrote:
GGG have said they want to normalize xp/h for bad and good maps. But they didnt think it through. If xp/h is same for Torture Chamber and Shaped Strand - why the fuck would anyone play awful map like Torture Chamber?

Well, (a) not everyone is gonna agree which are the "awful" maps, and (b) not every map can be the worst map, so instead of two shaped maps forever ... ten? twenty? that would be a rather large improvement for the masochists.

(Also, some folks just run ... all the maps. Not whatever is most efficient, because their goal isn't "clear as fast as possible", it is something else.)
"
Dr1MaR wrote:

As of racing aspect it is my problem and it does affect me in many ways. You are saying that there is no reason to limit anybody but having shaped maps is exactly that. If i want to compete on ladder, for example, and get 100 fast I have to run shaped maps to be able to compete with others. Players who run shaped maps have an advantage over players who run atlas whatever way they like. You agree with me on this? That's exactly what means being limited. Before making shaped maps GGG should have made sure they could provide at least 1 more alternative option for effective exp per hour. Which i still hope will be the case in 3.1. Just to highlight, I m not showing off as a pro racer or anything like that. I love to race and did have some successful runs here and there but there are better racers out there for sure. So i hope you get my point.
And when you focus on exp per hour, you don't care much about loots anyway, so the whole idea of the expansion to make you jump from map to map is only an advantage to get some cool craftable items, nothing more. It won't affect your exp per hour in any way.

I raced during Garbinger, I was level 98 and top 50 on softcore ladder before quitting the league.

If you random run maps instead of shaped maps, you're fucked. My setup was (11) Shaped Canyon, (12) Shaped Mud Geyser, (13) Shaped Shore, (14) Shaped Reef, (15) Shaped Courtyard. Canyon was way better xp than the empty Racecourse garbage, Strand is even worse, Strand has like 20 mobs in the entire map. All of these T11-15 Shaped maps gave me somewhat similar xp/h. However, Beachhead and Poorjoys SHIT on every other map in the game. If you care about xp there is no reason to play any map except these two unique maps.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Nov 19, 2017, 2:15:34 AM
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:

(Also, some folks just run ... all the maps. Not whatever is most efficient, because their goal isn't "clear as fast as possible", it is something else.)

I want to run all the maps too. Not joking, I really do. I want players to be rewarded for fully completing the Atlas, but right now we're being punished. If you play all maps, you're sentenced to running awful layouts, with no mobs and having to backtrack for 2 minutes before finding a monster or two to kill. Your xp is terrible, the amount of currency and loot you'll be getting will also be terrible.

I really hope they change something. But GGG developers dont really play the mapping endgame, so how would they know any of this?
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:

I want to run all the maps too. Not joking, I really do. I want players to be rewarded for fully completing the Atlas, but right now we're being punished. If you play all maps, you're sentenced to running awful layouts, with no mobs and having to backtrack for 2 minutes before finding a monster or two to kill. Your xp is terrible, the amount of currency and loot you'll be getting will also be terrible.

So, you know how they said the goal was to normalize XP/h across all the maps? If the XP earned from "awful" maps, and "great" maps, is normalized, doesn't that address your request?

"
toyotatundra wrote:
I really hope they change something. But GGG developers dont really play the mapping endgame, so how would they know any of this?

I'm not even going to try and address this. It is a statement that is just plain foolish.
"
Dr1MaR wrote:

Racing is your personal choice. Even if GGG decide to nerf shaped linear maps there will always be best map so according to your logic it's a factor that limits you (You can't win race if you run any other map that is not best one). I don't see any reason to destroy fun for others by making linear maps feel bad.

If you focus on gaining as much XP/h as possible you don't care about loot, I agree with you about that. But this is again your choice, only you decide what you want to achieve in this game. Different maps serves different purposes. From the other hand people who focus only on xp/h can complain about others who farm maps for best currency/h. Why others can make much more wealth by running specific maps?

In my opinion it's fine as it is. Poe is mostly single player game so there is no reason to ruin part of it in sake of "balance". Besides racing there is no harm in gaining exp slower than others (and as i said before there will always be best map you have to run in order to win).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info