question for someone with pro knowledge of psychology

rawr. fear me.
Damn and here i thought it was called the braindead masses' syndrome.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Nov 13, 2017, 11:41:29 AM
It will be for you to create your reality and maybe decide your interpretive perception of it. many so called definitions/labels are out there. good luck !
"
tidbit wrote:
Mandela Effect
http://mandelaeffect.com/
I find these types of reactions to the Mandela Effect very interesting.

I've dealt with some PTSD in my life, which I've thankfully pretty much entirely conquered, but I digress... I've been triggered into some hallucinations in my life. Seeing shit that isn't there is weird enough as it happens, but afterwards you have memories of shit that didn't happen, hence the Mandela Effect.

But it isn't some giant conspiracy or anything — one of those two sets of memories was created during a time where I was noticeably crazier than the other, and it's not that hard to discern which. A memory is only as reliable as the consciousness storing it, and it's important to realize that your vocabulary and ability to summarize visually are key factors in how well you store memory. It's not like you have the "space" to store all your sensory "data," you just remember a synopsis of it, and that is a skill-based activity.

For the most part, this is the kind of skill that grows as one grows older. I was in the US Army and my PTSD had nothing to do with that; instead it was a childhood incident. Most people's mental health issues stem from traumatic experiences in childhood, and in the context of memory-as-skill, it's clear why: children are comparatively shitty at storing memories. It's easier for our child selves to create memories that cannot be resolved with the reality we know as adults, and it is this dissonance between the remembered and the real that is the quintessence of mental illness.

For me, getting better had a lot to do with letting go. I criticized my own memory of the incident, finding the weak spots, the parts that didn't make sense because they defied physics or common sense. I stopped putting all my faith in the little kid I once was and started believing the man I am now. I'm not saying to be less than loving to your inner child but, c'mon now, children are in need of correction pretty often. Acknowledging the mistake allowed me to forgive it and move on.

The people on that website are mostly running away from correcting their inner children and trying to convince each other that such cowardice is okay and popular and someone else's fault. It's a little sick TBH, yet fascinating all the same.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 19, 2017, 1:43:33 AM
Interesting. And congratulations on moving on/letting go :)

Also, I only linked that site as it had a list of all the common ones, so the OP could look at it and confirm if that's what he was talking about.
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Nov 19, 2017, 11:47:42 AM
Tidbit, that is an interesting site. Will look more into it. THanks!
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info