[Sept 18] Disconnection heartbeat time

Players are disconnected after six seconds of not responding to requests from the server. This is to keep hardcore (and high level Default) characters safe if they lag out.

Some players have really bad internet connections and hit up against this often. We will add support for either disabling or extending this period, for those players.

Edit (Sept 18): This still represents our view of the issue. It's likely that the ability to disable this feature will be added soon.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Sep 18, 2012, 12:23:46 AM
Currently if I experience this, it's because of a long load time moving between areas. Usually only after playing for an hour or two without restarting and entering a new area (like twilight strand after the waterfall cave->pyramid marathon).

If portals persisted even when you disconnect, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. As it stands if this happens you end up having to fight through two or three areas all over again from the last waypoint.

Ideally though the character shouldn't enter the instance at all until the client is ready. Whereas currently the character enters the instance straight away, and if the client isn't ready within x seconds, DC.
Last edited by Malice on May 22, 2012, 1:39:56 PM
6 seconds are too much!!!

it should be 3 seconds instead ^^
An immense river of oblivion is sweeping us away into a nameless abyss.
Last edited by Betergeus on May 25, 2012, 7:41:00 PM
Is the reason why if I tab out I will come back to the game logged out? I've occasionally done that when my cpu is giving me overheating warnings, to give it some time to cool down. I town portaled before I did it, but no way of going back though the portal when I get logged out :/.
I often get disconected when I'm lagging to load the skill tree. Just saying lowering the heartbeat time isn't a solution.

Better working on server stability and synchronisation.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
never happened but now it's always happening even without lag
Are you going to have AUS/NZ based server to aid those us from this part of the world so this disconnection stuff doesn't happen as often?
What about a command line option allowing the Player to set their preferred heartbeat length themselves?

-heartbeat n seconds

It's probably not a big enough issue to work into the GUI, which would also be confusing. But as a command line argument it could be very useful to the players with packet loss or latency problems that are getting disconnected frequently.

Also for those players with very fast, consistent connections it could be useful to let them lower the heartbeat as well.

IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

This really has to be changed to 3 seconds or at least give us the option. It's the most frustrating thing getting BSOD when entering instances that actually happens alot and come back to find my character dead, 15% exp gone and 3 hours of levelling wasted. Im sure hardcore players hate it even more. Sometimes i just can't bring myself to play for days after something like this happens its pretty brutal.

I know it will be fixed in the future but plz change it soon.
Beyeser - 77 Marauder
FuzzyClam - 80 Witch
FishyTaco - 74 Witch
Last edited by Badmotorfinger on Jul 16, 2012, 12:49:54 AM
I'd really like an option to disable/extend it. I seem to get these disconnects very often, sometimes I'm just staring at the passive tree trying to plan my way through and it happens :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info