[3.2] BUFFED "Chin Sol Trapnel Shot" - 10c Budget, farm Atziri/Uber Lab/High Maps

Spoiler
Spoiler

Last edited by fixas2 on Oct 22, 2017, 2:01:15 PM
"
fatekills wrote:
would this build work w/o the chin sol and tinkerskin?
I am playing ssf and looking for a new build.

Thanks

I don't think so
Playing this build in Turmoil SC and found it very squishy.

I have replaced Herald of Ice + Arctic Armour with Blasphemy/Enfeeble (both Q20) and this does wonders for survivability. Enemies have about half of their normal accuracy and hit way less often and for a lot less damage. Since my mana reservation is now 85%, I took out Eldritch Battery and have no mana problems whatsoever now.
Dear Maligaro,
I left my head in San Francisco, I lost my legs in Peru
My liver and kidney are on holiday in Sydney
And I am sending my Heart to you
--- Love, Malachai
Hey, can you please post a POB link? I tried to remake your build in POB because your gear is stripped on your char now, but I think I am missing some stuff since my damage isn't anywhere close to what you said in the vid. Thanks!

You mentioned in the video you built the char in POB so please share that link when you get a chance TY.

I have a few questions I wanted to save after running thru the char but I might as well ask now:

1. Have you tried the build with lightning arrow or ice shot? I'd like to understand what thought process led you to deciding shrapnel shot was the best skill to go with for this build and blast rain as the secondary.

2. I noticed on your tree in your current char you don't have clever construction. Did you unspec out of this or is this something you pick up at the very end? Having played a miner, CC was a great QOL passive to pick up so I'm curious why you don't have it.

3. Flasks, are you using something like wise oak and dodge?

4. The poster above me mentioned it, but I'm JW why you don't run enfeeble/temp chains ? YOLO damage?

5. Have you already played around with the lioneye's fall jewel? Did you find it was too costly in terms of points?

6. Have you done any type of comparison with ascendant (something like sab/ele) in terms of DPS?

Thanks, a few of the other questions I'll ask after I have played around with POB with a few numbers.
Last edited by ironstove on Nov 22, 2017, 7:37:49 PM
"
Couza wrote:
"
fatekills wrote:
would this build work w/o the chin sol and tinkerskin?
I am playing ssf and looking for a new build.

Thanks

I don't think so.

I used a Storm Cloud and then The Tempest Long Bow for higher leveling dps and while I gave up phys damage I'm now into Act 9 and can switch to a 5L Chin Sol. I didn't try my Death's Harp Bow as it is 1.32 dps and I stayed with the 1.93 dps Tempest while leveling so I don't know if the extra arrow and greater crit overcomes the much lower dps. I got the DeerStalker boots early and Rearguard Broadhead quiver plus a Peregrine helmet for more accuracy and increased move speed (the extra MF is a bonus). All the extra dps speed worked well until I could get up to where I can make the bow and chest switch. Coupled with a decent tri-res evasion 5L chest and it worked out ok.

I do agree that for Act 9, 10 and endgame I will need the Chin Sol for the 100% extra trap damage and the Tinkerskin for the increased mana recovery and shorter trap cool down. Other than using the OP's recommended/required uniques I filtered the passive tree on traps and picked up the Expeditious Munitions keystone for the extra trap throwing speed. As a result of this the Blast Rain (I use Firestorm) is also sped up nicely.

All in all a very fun-to-play trapper and proves all those that say Saboteur was nerfed too much and now is un-viable wrong.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
I'm trying to play this build in mayhem because it is supposedly budget and I keep getting my ass handed to me by the nemesis bosses and rogue exiles. They're way too fast and you can either try to spec into life and do 0 damage or get damage and keep dying like me.

80 deaths so far. I don't think this was the build to go. I probably should have tried a tankier build instead. It's a shame because I wanted to play trapper, but this build is way too soft to deal with swarms of monsters coming at you. Maybe in the low density meta that was 3.0 but IDK about races.
Ok, reporting back. Once I got tinkerskin equipped things became MUCH more manageable. Tinkerskin is night and day difference for this build. I would say leveling is pretty difficult prior to that and it's very easy to die due to low hp pool, but tinkerskin + soul strike or rearguard make you much better at dealing with hits/mobs.

Once I get blinding assault, I think things will be much better after that.
So, question I have regarding chain reaction, if I were to get it and say a trap is nowhere near the enemy, where does shrapnel/blast rain aim?

Can someone with the node chime in? I took a few notes off ziut's version of the build and skipped chain reaction, mom/eb to really utilize tinkerskin and it's working great, but I do occasionally see the cooldowns being hit when I am dealing with heavy monster spam from breaches.

Also, if I get an additional arrow corruption quiver + dying sun, does that triple the shrapnel shot DPS?
Last edited by ironstove on Nov 26, 2017, 1:01:27 AM
"
ironstove wrote:
So, question I have regarding chain reaction, if I were to get it and say a trap is nowhere near the enemy, where does shrapnel/blast rain aim?

Can someone with the node chime in? I took a few notes off ziut's version of the build and skipped chain reaction, mom/eb to really utilize tinkerskin and it's working great, but I do occasionally see the cooldowns being hit when I am dealing with heavy monster spam from breaches.

Also, if I get an additional arrow corruption quiver + dying sun, does that triple the shrapnel shot DPS?

I have the chain reaction set up but I don't have tinkerskin yet. I haven't had much time to play the race because of work.

From what I can tell the Shrapnel Shot will try and target the closest mob when it is triggered, not necessarily the mob that triggered the trap that caused the chain reaction.

So sometimes you will throw a trap into a pack and only kill half the pack because of weird targeting. This is why the guide suggests using blast rain to clear. It is has much better coverage and deals enough damage to packs on a short cool down.
e77322447a68f9c997c346c2e4539ca7
Alright, I hit level 90 on a 5-link for both blast rain/shrapnel for mayhem and I'll share some thoughts...

-The build is a glass cannon, even when I tried my hardest to use more defensive items i.e. switched my signal fire to rearguard which dropped the DPS by about 20%, but rose the survivability significantly, I was still feeling like I was a fragile little baby. I never successfully made it to red maps because ghosted bosses, rogue exiles, and invasion bosses were too insane. Even breaches were hard to manage in t10. I ended up grinding t7-t9 maxing out exp with sextants because anything higher was a real risk of getting 1-shot/dying to mobs.

-This build is EXTREMELY slow for mapping. Yea, you can kill bosses pretty fast, but the trap cooldowns are such a pain in the ass. This was my first trap build and I thought I'd enjoy it having played miners, but holy shit the trap cooldowns even with chain reaction are not enough to keep up with the actual speed you can run maps at. You basically end up just capping your own clear speed due to cooldowns and you can't do anything about it because there are no other passives/items to reduce it further. It's infuriating. This is probably the slowest build I've ever played for mapping and it's a serious glass cannon, BUT!!!! It is definitely capable of running on a tight budget, so I will give it that.

-I'm really not sure about getting iron reflexes. I picked up acrobatics as I was leveling up and eventually switched out to IR and felt like the survivability was WORSE when I made the switch to IR.

Keeping acrobatics, yes you lose half your ES and some block, but evasion + dodge + the bit of block you get from rearguard actually made you more tanky than dropping the dodge IMO. Also, my build in the end had 800 ES without acro and 400 with, so 400 ES was not a big deal to me, I still died to 1-shots regardless, and most of what kills me were 1-shots and mobs swarming me. I felt that acro was better at keeping me alive than IR for the second scenario. Having played tanky builds I gotta say that 5k armour is about as effective as no armour in the situations that really count, so I really think IR is a mistake with this build.

-I used the build with chain reaction and without. I gotta say that chain reaction is worth getting. The situation where tinkerskin only heals for 1-tick rarely happens. Actually, if you throw your traps onto monsters all of the traps can still trigger and result in 400 hp/200 es restored with chain reaction. The only situation where chain reaction results in 1-tick is when you throw your trap on the ground with no monsters, the trap arms, and the monster walks up to it. Ok, not that bad actually because you're probably not being pressured or swarmed in those situations where you have that much time available.

My conclusion is that people saying chain reaction is bad synergy with tinkerskin are overblowing the issue. Having played both with and without CR, the CD reduction is fantastic and the entire reason you even go sab. It also allows you to skip clever construction (Though I'm still debating about this).

-Deadeye does more damage hands down than saboteur if you're going for pure DPS, but sab is arguably more defensive because of blinding assault. I may try to remake the build in 3.1 as a deadeye to see how I like the ascendency because I'm very curious about how endless munitions and powerful precision will interact with shrapnel shot (Also might be better to go with barrage/tornado shot instead of blast rain for trash clear at that point).

I tested and if your AOE% increase is big enough, and you have extra projectile, the cone of shrapnel shot can hit the same target i.e. each trap throws 2 projectiles and each projectile hits effectively serving as a 75% MORE modifier if a second cone hits. I have not tried this with 3x projectiles, and I think you'd have to be deadeye and/or heavily invest in AOE to get the 3rd projectile bonus.

Final thoughts: Fun build to play, but cooldown even with sab's CR are a pain in the ass. It could have been due to the fact that I felt myself needing to really spam the traps hard because it was mayhem, but it's definitely a slow and steady build. I would try it again sometime in the future if any changes or improvements introduced to trap charges/cooldowns.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info