[3.3] Whispering Ice CI Quad Icestorm Totems

"
boombrakka wrote:
Probably a bit risky to be honest. I never really took part in races because I don't have enough time so I don't know how easily you will be able to get a whispering ice and good enough gear to get to endgame and that. Also with some of these extra area mods it could be a bit slow because things like exiles can take out your totems pretty fast before they can do much damage. So maybe ok as a league starter but probably painful for these events. If you do try it though let me know how it goes :)

hey man just started making my own builds recently and was hoping to start with a Whispering Ice build so I can skip all that linking.

I decided to convert it to fire and have a 5-6l Scorching Ray setup in my chest. Could you take a look at my POB and give me some advice, if any? I'd really appreciate it.

https://pastebin.com/DSYiMKkf

EDIT: Did another with an Eye of Chayula for the stun immunity, just in case. DPS and ES drop but well, I don't have to worry about stun anymore. https://pastebin.com/XTV9YGrg
Last edited by samlzy1993 on Dec 3, 2017, 8:37:24 AM
yo, seeing as you have plenty of exp with this kind of build, i got a few questions.

When I saw the new hiero changes, 1st thought i had was Whispering Ice totem, idk why, but yea.

So Now I am debating which route to take. Stay Cold vs convert to fire and hybrid or CI ( maybe you can weight in on these options)

Going Fire conversion allows you to get 6 link in chest - SR cwc Fire Storm + supports, which would help alot with big single target and aiming at some mechanics on bosses if totems don't wanna listen and with the new hier you get leech while under arcane surge, so you can leech with firestorm. Downside, scaling dmg is abit weird, as you want as much int as possible, but int wont do anything for Firestorm, there are some efficient fire nodes on the tree, but only a few.

Crit Icestorm viable?
HOLY SHIT!!!

The changes are so nice :D

-No more less damage already means that dmg will be buffed by roughly 39% MORE damage :O
-4% life regen means definitely go zealot's oath :D
-totem placement and duration is a nice extra thing

I'm not sure whether it will be possible to go for the arcane surge points unfortunately because the mana cost without sanctuary of thought will be over 170. Of course now theres that 2% mana regen with 4 totems but also an extra 50% placement speed so might feel clunky unless you drop an aura.
Also leech is useless with totems and I personally don't care about aoe because having 4 totems gives enough aoe anyway. The thing that hurts the most is not being able to get the elemental ailment immunity. That seems OP. The rest is just damage which isn't that much of a loss especially with the removal of the less damage thing anyway.

"
deadlydoze wrote:
Stay Cold vs convert to fire and hybrid or CI

Going for fire conversion depends whether you want a bit more damage or defences. Using Pyre instead of a rare ES ring can lose you up to 1k ES but by making use of the SR fire pen you can make up for it with extra damage.

I have never actually tried going hybrid with this but I guess you could do some kind of MoM version and I'm sure it could work somehow but I think it might again be best to go sanctuaray of thought instead of arcane reverence.

"
deadlydoze wrote:
Going Fire conversion allows you to get 6 link in chest - SR cwc Fire Storm + supports

To do this you would have to drop ancestral bond which now means up to 25% less damage from the totems. Also it would mean dropping some useful albeit non-essential supports on other stuff like faster casting for flame dash, minion defences and increased crits on orb of storms.
Then there's also the thing that only using totems means you have a lot of time to move around and kite and never have to stop to cast, which you would have to do with SR + CwC etc. This is often underestimated and can be a huge defencive boost.

"
deadlydoze wrote:
so you can leech with firestorm

Meh :D Its only 0.5% and I'm not sure how much damage you will be able to get out of firestorm to really notice it. I think the 4% life regen by having 4 totems will probably outdo it depending on how much life/ES you have.

"
deadlydoze wrote:
int wont do anything for Firestorm

This. Sure there are some spell and elemental damage increases here and there, but I doubt it will be enough to justify losing a totem and filling up a 6L. But who knows? maybe worth a try anyway let me know if you try this and if its any good :D

"
deadlydoze wrote:
Crit Icestorm viable?

Hmmmm. Maybe but probably not as Hiero I guess. One downside to crit with this is that the skill is made up of many small hits so freeze or ignite is not going to be as effective.
"
boombrakka wrote:
"
deadlydoze wrote:
Stay Cold vs convert to fire and hybrid or CI

Going for fire conversion depends whether you want a bit more damage or defences. Using Pyre instead of a rare ES ring can lose you up to 1k ES but by making use of the SR fire pen you can make up for it with extra damage.

You could also use Cold to Fire Support and AoF instead of Pyre. And you can selfcast SR for the debuff even with AB. SR + CwC + Curse + Spell with high crit could be your curse setup if you go for fire conversion.
"
Flouyd wrote:
You could also use Cold to Fire Support and AoF instead of Pyre. And you can selfcast SR for the debuff even with AB. SR + CwC + Curse + Spell with high crit could be your curse setup if you go for fire conversion.

Neat idea :D
Never actually thought about CwC curses. I presume it casts the normal aoe curse centred on the first enemy affected by SR? or how does that work?
But you would be losing some damage when you use CtF which means that the advantage of using SR could be reduced a bit.
"
boombrakka wrote:
"
Flouyd wrote:

Neat idea :D
Never actually thought about CwC curses. I presume it casts the normal aoe curse centred on the first enemy affected by SR? or how does that work?
But you would be losing some damage when you use CtF which means that the advantage of using SR could be reduced a bit.

afaik it cast the curse where your cursor is. just like cwc - firestorm does.

And don't underestimate CtF. It is 29% more dmg and 20% inc dmg from quallity. And it enables you to take snowforged witch is 76% inc dmg for 3 skill points
"
Flouyd wrote:
And don't underestimate CtF. It is 29% more dmg and 20% inc dmg from quallity. And it enables you to take snowforged witch is 76% inc dmg for 3 skill points

True the damage form CtF is nice but not as much as one of the other more dmg gems and to get snowforged you will have to swap some passives round so the actual increase won't actually be 76%.
That said, I can imagine that going CtF and SR will no doubt result in higher damage. I personally just don't like SR so I don't bother :D
Build looks like fun in 3.2.
I have a question though. How is the lag with quad ice storms falling?
Mass firestorm lag can be noticable, i am thinking this has noticable frame drop as well?
"
dobri11111 wrote:
I have a question though. How is the lag with quad ice storms falling?
Mass firestorm lag can be noticable, i am thinking this has noticable frame drop as well?

Yes. This build can get so many instances of Icestorm and the projectiles each create chilled ground. Not quite sure why GGG didn`t redo all ground effects and not just burning ground. Maybe coming some time soon? If Firestorm is unplayable for you then this probably will be too :/

Thank you for answer.

Might i suggest Cyclopian coil for you build ?
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cyclopean_Coil

Imunity to ignite (very helpfull), shock and more int.
That coil works better with LL, so you can get shavs, and switch to LL and get couple more auras and take the more spell damage talent.
Also sin trek would be cheaper substitute for your boots.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info