CrispyTaters Ignite Templar/Witch Build (Hardcore)

So...

How does it handle against Elemental Reflect Mobs? That's my biggest worry with this build. I recently came by a Searing Touch and am curious about this.
I have zero issues with elemental reflect mobs. You don't take reflect damage from Fire Trap or ignite, and it'd be almost impossible to get Fireball to one shot you on reflect unless you don't pay attention to your resists and have some absurd crit/crit multiplier somehow.

Maps with elemental reflect are also doable, but I have to use some flasks on heavy packs. Life leech gem pretty much compensates for any ele reflect though if you're that worried about it there.

Last edited by bbqsauced on Mar 1, 2013, 8:18:06 AM
Thanks for the build.

I have 2 questions:

1) Why purity is not maxed?

2) Is "doedre's tenure" good item for this build? Traps are spells (= get damage bonuse) but use their own animation (= doesn't use faster cast speed)
That was a typo, it's Clarity that I use that isn't maxed. You level it as your mana pool allows.

Using Doedre's Tenure depends on what other skills you want outside of Fire Trap. If you're using Fireball, I wouldn't recommend it. I tend to not like a lot of the uniques as most of them don't have any + to life.
Thanks for the build!

It was my first time playing a fire build, and it was a blast!

Just a question, is searing touch able to last us til merciless/end game?

Was hesitating to buy searing touch off other players.
IGN: SporkWithABam
Gateway: Singapore
Online only on weekends
Searing Touch is great pretty much through the entire game. The only time it becomes an issue is when you hit 70+ maps and you really need to worry about defenses. If you keep the rest of your gear in good shape, you should be fine though.

I'm not currently using mine, but I used it pretty much up to lvl 76. If I can get my hands on a Kaom's or get some good upgrades in my other slots, I may switch back eventually. I need a 6L though and my current staff can't go past a 4L.
Is there a reason, why you didn't take the passive for 4 traps in your endgame build?

I had the impression that this would increase the main source of your damage quite well?
Yo OP great thread. I'm trying to build a Fire Templar myself and would love to learn more from you about the character and fire damage in general.

What are your thoughts on Firestorm compared to Fireball and Fire Trap?

Also what is progression like for this character (I'm more asking about the later levels, say 50-65) and what are the things to watch out for when leveling the character and playing the character in general?

And what are your thoughts on Incinerate? I understand that we don't have much information on it right now but do you think you would respec into the skill or use it as a supporting single target skill etc?
"
Is there a reason, why you didn't take the passive for 4 traps in your endgame build?

I had the impression that this would increase the main source of your damage quite well?

This build doesn't hit the Shadow area until very late in the game. I've just learned to manage with 3. There are a lot of passives I'd like to take, but it's becoming pretty thin. I would recommend taking it if you want the additional trap, but I've been using a balanced approach to keep Fireball as a good damage source as well. Crit/Spell Damage passives help all your spells, and the trap passives only help one.

"
What are your thoughts on Firestorm compared to Fireball and Fire Trap?

Firestorm is a very good fire spell combined with the right support gems. I just don't have enough gem slots in my build to add it in. I would prefer Fire Trap if using Searing Touch personally, as it does more damage overall, but Firestorm doesn't suffer from Trap limitations.

"
Also what is progression like for this character (I'm more asking about the later levels, say 50-65) and what are the things to watch out for when leveling the character and playing the character in general?

Progression is pretty straightforward, you might run into a few item requirement issues depending on your gear, but it shouldn't be too hard to fill those out. You will have a lot more damage than most other ranged at your level due to Searing Touch, but don't let it make you cocky. I soloed most of the game with a few exceptions, just be sure to take care of your defenses and spend some time getting decent flasks.

The biggest thing to be concerned about while leveling is keeping resistances maxed. I used Purity a lot when it was needed in place of Determination. Be mindful of curses and elemental debuffs (frozen, shocked) as they can quickly lead to your death. Always have a way to deal with them.

You also need to have an exit strategy for when things get tough. My quicksilver flask has extra movespeed on it, so I just run away for a short time if I get too overwhelmed.

Other than that, I'd say the next biggest things to watch out for are Chaos damage and Fire Resist mob types, especially the rolling golems. All the charging mobs can be extremely dangerous as well, so play defensively when you spot Roas, Shield Chargers, or rolling golems. The desync that happens with those mob types has killed many characters. It never hurts to pre-pop a Granite if you see a charge coming, even if you are out of the way.

"
And what are your thoughts on Incinerate? I understand that we don't have much information on it right now but do you think you would respec into the skill or use it as a supporting single target skill etc?

I definitely want to try it out, but I rely on being very mobile, so I doubt a skill that gains benefit from being stationary would supersede Fireball or Fire Trap. I'll most likely be testing it on a Spell Totem, if it works in such a way that the totem triggers the increased damage from being stationary. It is doubtful I'd need to change any passives for it, but I guess I'll see when they release the final skill info.

how are things going?

I haven't been able to pull the trigger and switch from flavor of the month pulse yet. Thoughts of a build similar to this one keep me awake at night though

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info