[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Well if we use Soulmantle we either remove curses via flask or use kikazaru (the lazy way which i like more)

151/150/150 is the goal anyway, because in many cases we have those dual resistcurses up.

btw currently leveling some rf totem ci version (occultist) to toy around what are good setups etc.

atm a3 merc, will probably reach 69 later if my kid lets me :p

playing with soulmantle + kikazaru and wanna test how good i can survive with that.

Iron Commander (totem life) + soulstrike can be a good combination as well, but seems hard to use as an addition to soulmantle + kikazaru.

For hc it can be pretty safe to run just IC + SS and a high es chest and good rings, like any caustic arrow occultist.

While testing this i keep es changes for 3.0 in mind > no es% on rings, 650 es chest max etc.

Passive builds like summoner, totemer, caustic arrow etc won't be hurt that much from the ES changes in 3.0, hell they might even be stronger in some directions like more support for es recharge.

For Scion (guardian + whatever) it will. be harder to get good substain. ES recharge can be interupted (fight phoenix without taking any damage at all can be rough) and liferegen needs some good investment but maybe the way to go.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 5, 2017, 1:52:17 PM
lvl 73 Occultist RFT

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAN1DXwQzBFQEmkVfhXXFxwYVhhqGyUc3B0UHU8d2SL0KPortiy_L281uTwtPV9Bh0J6Q1RLrlH7UlNWSFZjV8lYB1jlWitca15dXwRmnmh0bAttGXC7cXl4L3pwfIN85Xzwf8aCx4Nfg8yESIauiEKMRox2jxqPRpEHkyeXlZf0mK2boZ1jna6hL6cIpyunlLQMtzG3PriTu_y-isHFwxPDbcauytPR_dgk2RPZW9pi2t3fiukC6rrr7uwY9HH3wffX-JP56PrS

Ok here is my CI version of the build, its in progress ofc.

I will ofc switch to doryanis with lvl 75 (the requirement) and try to find a cryatal belt with stats i need.
Besides that i probably won't change any gear because:

- i am lazy
- beta is coming, wanna level not trade so much anymore
- its a good benchmark for the es changes to have not BiS gear.

Helmet and Boots have poor es values, but the shield and gloves are pretty good so far. This should on average be the ES we could manage to get in 3.0 (crystal belt missing).

Resists are all above 150/151 and the flasks are fine for me now.

Compared to Life its way more expensive. The lvl 4 enlighten alone (saves skillpoints for mana reservation) can cost much (lucky corruption on my side.

Top ES gear is obviously very expensive, while life gear doesn't need to be that good.

Damage comparison is lower i think, but atm its a 20 lvl difference to my lifebased char.

I will gain way more ES over time. 16% ES via the uber lab (the notables are worse than 2 small nodes for the build) and there are several 6% nodes to skill.
Also i got no es on jewels.

Around 10k ES should be achieveable with Soulmantle + 2x kikazaru.

If i wouldn't use the combo it could be around 500-600 flat es more (if we think about 3.0 stats) and it could be way more defensive.

On the other side its possible to use a doedres on top (or two) for quad or pentacurse.

My final thoughts for the day:

The damage will most likely be lower. I have not enough free mana for Searing Bond or lightning warp and maybe just enough for a few shield charges.

Breaches are a pain in the ass if vaal discipline is on cooldown, the occultist recovery cannot kick in most of the time.

In other cases it feels like cheating while clearing regular content.

i hope i find enough time to level the char higher before the beta starts to have a better comparison with the lifeversion especially in hard content.

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 5, 2017, 5:33:08 PM
For the beta i will go for a Mind over Matter route to test this out. Could be the strongest option SSF (since poe.trade won't be aviable the first days).

There will be some rollbacks from time to time, so i wont play this build every rollback - i don't wanna burn out on it ;)

For the occultist - i am currently leveling with 400m xp/hr, got a decent crystal build in the stash and will repost the char after he is able to equip it.

Will probably focus on path of building tests to compare my life and es based char.

Both use similar core gear (soulmantle kikazaru, same gemlevels, doryanis) so it can be a pretty good comparison.

If it's useful/successful i will add a ci section and compare both versions in detail

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 6, 2017, 1:34:37 AM
Hitting those capped resists on the Soulmantle build might be a little tough, considering we will be using so many uniques. :-(
"
solidghost wrote:
Hitting those capped resists on the Soulmantle build might be a little tough, considering we will be using so many uniques. :-(

definetly. Its way more expensive to get high es coupled with good resists (especially in 3.0 to get compareable gear).

Its possible to swap out one blasphemy for purity and add the curse to orb of storms.

also totem life + all resists / dual resists are pretty cheap.

CI is by far more expensive than the life route

lvl 80 Occultist

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAN1DXwQzBFQEmkVfhXXFxwYVhhqGyUc3B0UHU8d2R8YIvQo-iu2LL8vbzW5PC09X0GHQnpDVEuuTLNR-1JTVkhWY1fJWAdYWljlWitca15dXwRmVGaeaHRsC20ZcLtxeXIPeC96cHyDfOV88H_GgseDX4PMhEiGrohCjEaMdo8aj0aRB5MnlG-XlZf0mK2boZ1jna6hL6cIpyunlLQMtzG3PriTu_y-isHFwxPDbcauytPNFtAf0f3YJNkT2VvaYtrd34rpAuq66-7sGO_r9HH3wffX-JP56PrS

8258 ES atm

So i won´t change anything of the gear with the char except adding a jewel.
There is upgradepotential on every piece of rare gear, but this should be a decent benchmark of how good es gear looks in 3.0 (total es over all gearpieces).

With blasphemy enfeeble and temporsl chains the char feels very durable and is very hard to kill.

Curse immune maps however are a big weakness (way more than my lifeversion which doesnt rely on curses) and those are dangerous atm.

If i think about scion CI rft i dont know how to survive reliably, since the es recharge of an occultist is so powerful and the main sellingpoint of CI on this build.

An Alternative could be a low life guardian which cannot use soulmantle except we wanna rely on dragon juice (corruscating elixir). He at least can get a good amount of regen.

Hell even a chieftain ci version could be possible, but needs 4 more skillpoints for a similar skilltree than this occultist.

the next points would go in another jewel (2 pts) and after that point probably in both curse cluster (6 pts).

Growth and decay is an option but doesnt feel necassary.

So after that point ES% and damagenodes are the way to go i think.

With the 16% es of an occultist, maybe some %es on jewels and 13 ES nodes ready to skill its pretty easy to achieve over 10k is if i level into the early 90s and invest more into good jewels/gear.

The thing is: each item thats not used on the life version costs more than all the gear combined on my life version (well without Tukohamas fortress which is a unnecassary luxury item).

lvl 3 enlighten is required to use stuff like orb of storms or a movement skill, lvl 4 is still not enough to use searing bond.

The benefit of ci is that its even safer while mapping due to the defensive curses, high es recovery and higher healthpool.

The downside is the price of items and jewels (es % is more expensive than life%, lower damage, higher weakness to mapmods and its tougher to cap resists with budget gear.

Funny sidenote: I loose dps while using witchfire brew if flammability is up says path of building :P

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 6, 2017, 7:44:28 AM
Added a thread on the mainpage with a comparison between my life version and ci version

LIFE VS ES

So i´ve tested a ci occultist RF totemer up to lvl 80 so far, took the gear, tree and jewels and slammed it into Path of building. I added 12 levels and skillpoints and copied one jewel (because one jewelsocket got specced in the process. This way i can compare the stats better.

Pastebin link to my life based Chieftain character
Pastebin link to my ES based Occultist character

The best thing is to open two path of building clients.

Both have NO FLASK active.
Both have Elemental Equilibrium on the enemy
Both are cursed with all curses (lvl 20)
Chieftain has endurance charges active
Enemys are NOT shocked
Elemental overload is up and Curses are on the enemy

Both use the same RF setup in a soulmantle (rf + aoe + conc + ele focus + rapid decay + totem resi)
Occultist (my current version) cannot use searing bond totems due to the manacost (115 mana, like 65 free mana)

Offense

Chieftain Stats:

613236.7 RF DPS against non bosses
112782.3 SB DPS against non bosses
---
726019 combined DPS against non bosses

372213.3 RF DPS against Shaper/Guardians
68454.9 SB DPS against Shaper/Guardians
---
440668.2 combined DPS against Shaper/Guardians

Occulstist Stats (Enfeeble, Temp Chains, Flammability):

585267.3 RF DPS against non bosses

333277.2 RF DPS against Shaper/Guardians

Occulstist Stats (Ele Weakness 20/20, Vulnerability, Flammability):

1104470.3 RF DPS against non bosses

398651.7 RF DPS against Shaper/Guardians

without changing anything on the character it´s a difference of:

24% more dps against normal monsters for the Chieftain
32% more dps against Shaper/Guardians for the Chieftain

with the most offensive occultist curse setup:

52% more dps against normal monsters for the Occultist
10% more dps against Shaper/Guardians for the Chieftain

In most cases the Chieftain deals more damage, a berserker can even top that. The only case where the occultist deals more damage is with the offensive curse setup of Ele Weakness 20/20, Vulnerability and Flammability against normal enemys.

This is a setup i wouldnt use while mapping, because the defensive curses help the ci build a lot in maps

In general, the dps of RFT is not huge between both, searing bond makes the biggest difference. Investing points into mana reservation might be an option to use SB on the occultist.

Utility and Defence

Chieftain vs Occultist

- Totem Placementspeed | 61% vs 46%
- Totems | 2-4 vs 2-3
- Totem survivability | awesome vs shiiiieeet
- Ele Overload | yes vs yes
- Elemental Equilibrium | yes vs yes
- AoE Tree | 26% vs 26% (can get 12% aoe enchant relatively cheap)
- Decoy Totem (taunt, 10% less damage taken) | yes vs no (stat requirement, needs a str belt)
- Panic Button | Forbidden Taste Flask vs Vaal Discipline
- Endurance Charges | 3-6 auto generation/EC vs none (EC stat requirement, needs a str belt)
- Fortify | possible vs possible - needs enough free mana for shield charge and to sacrifice cwdt shenanigans
- life regen | high vs medium (path of building shows unrealistic values somehow)
- recovery | Regen only vs ES Recovery + Regen
- total life pool | Good vs exceptional with big investment
- rf castspeed | 1.23 sec vs 1.19 sec
- statissues | dex vs dex + str (harder to get with rings/amus being uniques, especially str)
- resistissues | none vs medium with tradeoffs (purity instead of blasphemy, resistjewels)
- mapmodissues | chain, noregen vs chain, noregen (mana), curse immune, curse effect

Conclusion

Occultists Wicked Ward is extremly powerful (obviously).
Coupled with Enfeeble + Temporal Chains + Chill effects from cwdt the char is near immortal as long as you don´t let you cat play the game.
The big benefit is the higher healthpool against oneshot mechanics.

On the other side the es recovery needs to start (1.7sec no dmg taken) and stuff like uber izaro can wreck you if you get hit once very hard and he follows up, you got some ignite or random arrows on you to hinder you to recharge.
I havent played any meaningful boss yet, but i dont expect then to be way harder or way easier.

The price for CI is way more expensive! You can basically pay as much for one piece of es gear like the total life gear costs :P

Its way harder to obtain good es gear especially if we loom forward to 3.0 (thats why i compared this gear and not top gear in every slot).

My es version relys on good jewels and is very weak in curse immune maps or curse resistant bosses. Without the curses that es recovery takes a huge bummer

The life version has a easier time gearing up, is way cheaper and deals more damage.

It can be pretty tanky and the use of decoy totem (which is easier to use and tankier) can cheese many fights.

It cannot endure those heavy bursts but if he survives on, forbidden taste backs the char up.

The occultist has benefits for party play with triple curse and can even transition into a real curse supporter with 2x doedres, a high es chest and maybe even + curse boots/chayula.

Occultist is NOT budget and harder to play until she has good gear. The intention of the guide is to give you a easy and cheap build to play, which is the life version.

You can invest in a ci version, it will cost more and grant some more defence but less offence.

I would rather invest the currency in another ci build (or any build) that requires much currency and go for the lifebased route instead, which is a better char to start a league, farm currency and bosses, unlock the atlas etc.

https://youtu.be/RCX1NPnBxHQ

a uber izaro fight with the es version with lvl 84

I've just read that the new support gems aren't in the beta at start. As you don't want to level RFT multiple times wouldn't it be better to wait with that until they are added?
"
iberion_ wrote:
I've just read that the new support gems aren't in the beta at start. As you don't want to level RFT multiple times wouldn't it be better to wait with that until they are added?

depends on skilltreechanges etc.

Its probably better to wait, but some things are obvious (like potentially a more multiplier for burning dmg instead of increased).

Maybe i wait til a8 is released, we will see :p

i would take the opportunity to test other variations as well (like some mom life/es/mana hierophant or once poe.trade is aviable scion)

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 7, 2017, 3:31:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info