[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

i wrote that rf is a burn :O

also about flamesurge: Damage Bonus: "All sources of burning damage trigger the bonus, including the ignite status effect"

not only rf, searing bond, SR or firetrap.

edit: i cut the whole flamesurge thing out because it has nothing to do with the build anyway and confuses more than it helps ;)

btw some wordings are not clear enough in the game, like flamesurge saying it needs a burning enemy but ignite works also.

ngamahu from the chieftain is another case where its not clear if the 35% dmg bonus is also applied for the source of the burn or only for following hits/dots if the target is burning
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 2, 2017, 7:24:44 AM
That looks like quite an awesome build. I will try it out. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to farm with it in standard. I need a good farming character.
"
That looks like quite an awesome build. I will try it out. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to farm with it in standard. I need a good farming character.

depends on what you wanna farm ;)

It can do anything except hall of the grandmaster (chaosskills wreck totems, they cannot deal any damage).

If you have core items for other builds like vaal fireball those are better to farm those strands since they are designed to clear at a fast pace.

If you wanna farm uberlab, its not as quick as some pathfinder with 600% movementspeed, but very safe to do so

If you wanna farm endgame bosses (not really worth it on standard i think) there is really broken stuff aviable like chaos firestorm (or any poison build). Those are often expensive (like wanders), but some work great on a budget.

If you wanna do anything and have nothing special on standard or don´t wanna invest much currency in the char, go for it, it can do anything on a budget.

If you don´t wanna see your char nerfed in 3.0 go for rf totems, there is no indication so far it gets nerfed. It more looks like buffs with the dot changes (overhauled burning dmg support gem and maybe skilltreechanges)

- Added a Shaper guide in the third post
- added the hardcore guide in the second post

if you have suggestions about those (or anything else) let me know.

Dont know what to add else for hardcore that is not in the mainpost (like gearoptions)

Yes would've been my suggestion too, to cut that part with Flame Surge out.

But to clear that up: Flame Surge does "50% more Damage against Burning enemies" and "Ignite is an elemental status ailment associated with fire that causes the affected target to take burning damage". That means that for example "increased Damage against Ignited Enemies" from Gang's Momentum counts only for enemies that take burning damage that is caused by an Ignite.
"
iberion_ wrote:
Yes would've been my suggestion too, to cut that part with Flame Surge out.

But to clear that up: Flame Surge does "50% more Damage against Burning enemies" and "Ignite is an elemental status ailment associated with fire that causes the affected target to take burning damage". That means that for example "increased Damage against Ignited Enemies" from Gang's Momentum counts only for enemies that take burning damage that is caused by an Ignite.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1905362/page/1/#p14521011

i brought up this thematic because of you. To sum it up:

Ignite is a "subclass" of burn. Everything related to burning is also related to ignite (like flamesurge or gangs momentum).

Ignites and burns dont benefit from conditional effect (directly) like gang momentums or chieftains 35% inc dmg against burning enemys.
Indirectly ignites benefit from it because they are based on the initial hit which is increased by an existing ignite/burn on the target.

excample with gangs momentum (40% dmg against burning enemys):

fireball deals 100 dmg, ignites for 20 dmg per sec
2nd fireball deals 140 dmg, ignites for 28dmg per sec (not doubledipping)

New section: Some thoughts about other builds compared to RF Totems that come into my mind (personal opinion) featuring Ancestral warchief totems. Will add more in the right mood :P

"
Milkyslice wrote:
yes not much changes there in the current state. For a more curse oriented version which doesnt travel down to bloodmagic, scion can be pretty effective.

Well you can trade stuff like endurance charges for totemic zeal. On top you unlock a 3 point jewel which is not that bad ;) for regular mapping its worth the points, for guardians/shaper/uber ... not really

Yea, not only that, if one wants to go CI, Scion seems effective as well. Just that the chest pretty much makes it sad (since soul mantle too nice to use. And it's cheap)

Now just need to wait for the new skill tree for me to start brain storming :v
"
luciel_kun27 wrote:
"
Milkyslice wrote:
yes not much changes there in the current state. For a more curse oriented version which doesnt travel down to bloodmagic, scion can be pretty effective.

Well you can trade stuff like endurance charges for totemic zeal. On top you unlock a 3 point jewel which is not that bad ;) for regular mapping its worth the points, for guardians/shaper/uber ... not really

Yea, not only that, if one wants to go CI, Scion seems effective as well. Just that the chest pretty much makes it sad (since soul mantle too nice to use. And it's cheap)

Now just need to wait for the new skill tree for me to start brain storming :v

Ci and a low es item (no shield, shitty chest etc) was never a problem. Its hard to tell how good ci will be in 3.0.

Currently you can do it and reach over 10k es with a good shield, helmet, boots and gloves

i will think about something later regarding it.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAHjH0B_v60V-Dlxq-oPMPC2DX5SgaHTaYhhWWitY5aPywxOdY18EA3WTJ8NtXGuESCy_EmlxeRccl5VSU5f0PV9DVB3Z9HGCxyj6m6H3wRXXhq5WY1ZIGGp4L1gHfOWnKxEvKworthDMjEb4k5itlS4HHklR8NXfithN5dEnc7iTHNyPGgnZykbird2S8tLZW0uuGyVd8sauHU8RUDW5wcVsCw182CT56FgXoj48S7cxjHb60u-ISbHXz_k3UilV4FhaV8kmiOhatzBmnr6KoS9_xuvuna4fGM0WUftMsyL099dBh7c-EZbpAqcIiEJtGR0Uj0YOSOwYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

something like this could be a baseline (lvl 88 for 3.0) with room for cursenodes, more es or damage.

Maybe even drop all the regen and focus more on es recovery start/rate.

This would at least be the pathing i would take with many options aviable.

even hybrid might work (needs more points tho). Presence of chayula, mind over matter for chaos hits and life regen for chaos degens.

I have some gear (no soulmantle/kikazarus) on standard which are preeeetty good for hybrid, i may toy around a bit with the stuff and see which numbers i can reach with the current system as a scion.

Its definetly way more expensive than with life ;)

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 2, 2017, 11:52:10 AM
Could someone do me a huge favor and mark up the MS paint of the skill tree image with some squiggly lines or a second color or something for Step 3? I'm colorblind, and the colors for Step 2 and Step 3 are completely indistinguishable for me.

In related news, I'm experimenting with a crazy idea for 3.0 Ascendant that uses 2x Kika and Soul Mantle. I would go Guardian/Raider and use Path of the Raider to pick up Acrobatics and add in a pinch of Frenzy charges. It'll probably be terrible, but there's a chance it might be interesting. I'll report back with results when I have some.
Last edited by Norc on Jun 2, 2017, 4:42:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info