[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

"
Victronox wrote:
I see that ZiggD is running your build in the 2-week HC SSF race. Not sure if he has acknowledged that fact on his stream, but it's fun to see the build in action.

Thanks for all the work you put into documenting your build, and testing it in the FoO Beta.

thank you.

Yes he acknowledged the guide in his !build video ;)

"
That said, do you have any tips on how to improve overall clear speed ? The dps itself is great, aoe coverage is ok with 3 totems and survivability is fine, so that leaves the usual issue: totems themselves, and the lack of attack speed. I'm not sure how to solve that, best thing i could think about would be to give up the weapon elemental damage and just get a brightbeak, but even that wouldn't feel too exciting.

Usually playing pathfinders so, i just feel like a snail right now :D

It should be obvious that a <2ex totem build wont reach the clearspeed of a 20+ ex pathfinder with VFB, EK, VS or similar ;)

Personally i dont like to use movementskills that much on the build and a too fast one as well.
Lets say i play Low life EK pathfinder stuff, i just move and click ek if i see mobs, but never have to care where to click the curser or where i have to position myself. Thats a importnt part of the totem and doesnt work well with lightning speed. So from the playstyle perspective its hard to play it with brightbeak, tons of atk speed etc because it requires more than closed eyes + rightclick.

If you wanna squeeze out more speed i can suggest the following things

- Silver + quicksilver + witchfire brew + dying sun can help. More movementspeed, faster castspeed of RF, autocurse and extra damage and extra aoe.

- totemic zeal and shamanistic fury on the tree. Totemplacementspeed is a great stat if you want more clearspeed. Castspeed helps as well, but wouldn´t go ham on that stat

- like you mentioned brightbeak is an option or a lightning warp setup (which can feel pretty good with levels but will never be as good as shieldcharge with tons of atk speed, but needs no investment besides links).

- learn to play the build. No offense there, but a good feel for the damage, totem placements and optimizing the use of skills in certain spots are important to learn. Its more of getting a feeling for it. knowing where to place the totems and when to move forward can reduce waiting time a lot

It can reach a respectable speed, but never the same as meta clearspeed builds that are focused on that. Its more of a solid build as a leaguestarter and budget build that can clear well enough while being able to farm labs, bosses, all those corrupted maps etc. So it can do everything (besides hall of the grandmasters), but nothing perfect ;)

I for myself played tons of builds from flametotem, warchief, flameblast, ll ek, vaal fireball/spark, summoner, wander, blade flurry, bow chars, spectral throw, eartquake/sweep etc etc etc and always came back to this build, because of the versatility, playstyle and budget.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Jun 28, 2017, 12:42:13 AM
I have some problems doing t12 - 13 maps. I'm lvl 87 and dps is still high enough but my survivability... Well, some rare monsters and exiles can literally one shot me or take 90% of my hp with single crit. I try to avoid doing chain mod maps but some increased damage/crit mods can fck me up too. I have 6.3k hp atm and maybe will buy some new pair of gloves/boots. But I doubt they will fix the problem. Forbidden Taste flask really saves me sometimes and I even run CWDT + Immortal Call.
I still haven't completed my Uber lab (can't find all it's trials). Maybe this is the issue here =\
"
Axylxys:
...do you have any tips on how to improve overall clear speed ? The dps itself is great, aoe coverage is ok with 3 totems and survivability is fine, so that leaves the usual issue: totems themselves, and the lack of attack speed. I'm not sure how to solve that, best thing i could think about would be to give up the weapon elemental damage and just get a brightbeak, but even that wouldn't feel too exciting.

One thing I've been thinking about is making an alternate version of this build with Scion Guardian/Raider ascendancies that keeps Frenzy and therefore Onslaught up at all times, possibly even picking up Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics and/or MoM. Like the Guardian/Chieftain one linked in the build, it would attain complete curse immunity with x2 Kikous and would basically trade raw EHP for great maneuverability through attack speed and raw movement speed. It will lose a bit of Totem Life/Placement speed and is just overall not as brutally efficient as the standard builds in Milky's guide. Keeping Frenzy charges up may be a bit of a pain also.

I won't know for sure if it isn't total crap (it very well might be) until I get to test it post-wipe when we finally get our last 4 ascendancy points. Feel free to mess around with it yourself though also.
Last edited by Norc on Jun 28, 2017, 11:28:07 AM
This is the most detailed guide ive ever seen. Thank you its crazy good
1 Question

Why does Spelldamage not scale RF damage when Quality on the RF Gem gives Spelldamage?
"
Mojacks wrote:
1 Question

Why does Spelldamage not scale RF damage when Quality on the RF Gem gives Spelldamage?

Cause they designed the skill so there's a benefit to using other spells in addition to RF.
"
Norc wrote:
"
Axylxys:
...do you have any tips on how to improve overall clear speed ? The dps itself is great, aoe coverage is ok with 3 totems and survivability is fine, so that leaves the usual issue: totems themselves, and the lack of attack speed. I'm not sure how to solve that, best thing i could think about would be to give up the weapon elemental damage and just get a brightbeak, but even that wouldn't feel too exciting.

One thing I've been thinking about is making an alternate version of this build with Scion Guardian/Raider ascendancies that keeps Frenzy and therefore Onslaught up at all times, possibly even picking up Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics and/or MoM. Like the Guardian/Chieftain one linked in the build, it would attain complete curse immunity with x2 Kikous and would basically trade raw EHP for great maneuverability through attack speed and raw movement speed. It will lose a bit of Totem Life/Placement speed and is just overall not as brutally efficient as the standard builds in Milky's guide. Keeping Frenzy charges up may be a bit of a pain also.

I won't know for sure if it isn't total crap (it very well might be) until I get to test it post-wipe when we finally get our last 4 ascendancy points. Feel free to mess around with it yourself though also.

trading out raw ehp for a die roll that doesn't work for everything is not worth. you are not going to gain charges with only 10%, i rather you go for guardian/pathfinder and stick to the left side of the tree (templar starting area for strength nodes spire of stone). even then you are losing out on raw dmg a cheiftain/berserker brings which is significant clearspeed loss with buffed boss hp speedbump.
Last edited by forthelulz123 on Jun 30, 2017, 11:49:15 PM
So in preparation for Harbinger, I decided I would try this build in order to rush atziri/Uber/shaper. So when the beta hit, I gave it a roll there (SSF since poe.trade was down at the time), and was pleasantly surprised how fast this was to level (at least once you get to act 3). I tried normal atziri right after finishing act 7 and steamrolled it on a four link. IIRC I was level 61, as I believed I farmed ashen fields.

I then quickly put together the build on legacy did a few maps, couple of breach lords, and of course atziri, while its something that I would not see myself playing all league, as League Starters go, this is one of the best builds I found.

After testing atziri, I decided to see just how far I can push this, so I gave myself a three link, and tried again. To my amazement, the build still steamrolled atziri, so I went further. I removed every gem other then righteous fire from the soul mantle, removed all my jewels, and swapped out both dory for whites. While the fight was definitely harder, I still cruised through it deathless. So I ran it again, this time recording it via twitch.

I ran it pretending the mobs were uber mobs, so I do it rather slow, but I felt that the build performed admirably. If it was Uber I would've died twice, due to two mistakes I made, but even so, I'm quite happy with how it went considering. I split the fight up if you only want to see the boss fights, and ignore me slowly plodding through the mobs.

The Entire Fight

Vaal Duo

Trio

The Queen Herself

Thanks Milky for making this great build guide, and showcasing this build :)
IGN SuperGaco
Last edited by Supergaco on Jul 1, 2017, 3:48:20 PM
ziggy forget decoy totem exists
New RF gem on beta is 40% of life, down from 50%. Haven't had a chance to run numbers yet, but my gut tells me with the Burning damage gem increases we should still be decent.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info