Why no in-game auction house?

"
potis wrote:
You dont want people using it for loot hunt despite everyone ALREADY DOING THAT with poe.trade?

If "everyone is already doing that" then what exactly is the problem?
Whenever I need anything, maps, currency, items, I can just get them from poe.trade.

Does the problem have something to do with not getting everything you want in seconds?
"
Fapmobile wrote:
"
potis wrote:
You dont want people using it for loot hunt despite everyone ALREADY DOING THAT with poe.trade?

If "everyone is already doing that" then what exactly is the problem?
Whenever I need anything, maps, currency, items, I can just get them from poe.trade.

Does the problem have something to do with not getting everything you want in seconds?

Cause as i said, unless there is behind the scenes RMT, aka they make extra money from people.

Or the logic is behind this probably the same logic other games have.

"Since most people that play the game are bad at it and dont know what and how, then they dont know poe.trade, we dont want to make it easier for them"

thats the only logic i can get from their words.

Since we all know the majority of players in every game is the casuals that leave the money.
Last edited by potis on May 22, 2017, 7:34:22 PM
"
Unquietheart wrote:
"

I can see why you might think that, but it's not a supposition. It's a fact. At the time, there was public documentation from the IRS talking about Blizzard and Diablo 3 that was dated just before the announcement they were shutting the AH down.

Mmm... a fact eh? Okay.

Citation Needed.

There's a lot of buzz out there certainly, but a casual search does not turn up any public documents from any legitimate sources. Activision Blizzard is a publicly traded company. They're required to report their earnings publicly. If there were real, factual issues surrounding the RMT-AH that concerned the IRS, then there should be either IRS documents, US SEC documents, or press releases from Activision Blizzard. Alternatively, there should be reporting on the issue from valid news sources, like Reuters, Bloomberg, Associated Press, Dow Jones Institutional News. etc.

Come up with a citation and I'll give it a look.

If you don't have a citation, then you don't have a fact. You have hearsay.

Blizzard has thousands of employees, their legal department alone is probably bigger than all of GGG put together. I'm sure that their legal team and their accounting team both went over the RMT with a fine-tooth comb before letting it go public. It's entirely possible that Blizzard was, indeed required to file 1099-Misc forums for everyone they paid out money to via the RMT system. But those people were not Blizzard employees, they were private individuals, their tax reporting status is their own legal responsibility. Not Blizzard's.

"
As to why they took the Gold AH down? It was tied into the Real Money AH in the sense that it wouldn't work without it. The entire dynamic of the game was based around being able to buy your equipment. Drop rates were terrible (a lot of people like myself enjoyed that dynamic though) and if you were lucky enough to get a great drop, it probably wasn't for your class or your build.

The two AH's were perfectly capable of functioning independently.

The ONLY change that would have been necessary would have been to disable the front end, the website that allowed you to trade on the RMT. All that would have been necessary would have been to disable the button that allowed you to switch from the Gold AH to the RMT AH, and the RMT front page. It wouldn't have actually been necessary to even touch the backend databases at all.

They had months to prepare and an army of coders (Between D3 itself, the Fintech specific team, the Authentication team, and the Battle.net team) who could have worked at it. If they had wanted to they most certainly could have kept the Gold-only AH running independently of the RMT-AH.

And they didn't, they took it down. For reasons they were happy to explain publicly.

As I said above, a simple Google search will take you to the Blizzard FAQ on the subject, or to the Wired Magazine article, or to the Forbes Magazine article, or to the ARS Technica article.

"
That's why they completely changed the game. Jay Wilson was head of development at the time and it was all his brainchild. They couldn't change one without the other.

It was shut down because of money, nothing else.

Show me a Citation then.

And finally, the D3 RMT-AH issue was simply an example of the underlying problem of using an AH in an ARPG environment.

Regardless of what the situation with Blizzard actually was, you still have not addressed the fundamental problem: Making trading too easy undermines the primary motivator that makes ARPGs popular. Water runs downhill, people gravitate to the easiest solution. Developers nerf drop rates when AH supply becomes too large and too easy to get, which in turn forces even more people into the AH system in order to procure upgrades allowing them to continue to progress through content, creating a vicious cycle.

And then people stop playing, because it's no fun grinding endlessly just so you can buy something from an AH.

You're looking for a conspiracy that simply doesn't exist.

I wasn't weighing in on the debate whether there should be an AH or not in PoE. Rather, I was trying to inform someone of the true reasons behind the D3 AH shutdown.

This is the internet and I'm well aware of the whole "pics or it didn't happen" mentality. That's okay. But I'm not going to spend any time trying to find the documents that I read and were publicly available at the time of the shutdown. You're welcome to take that as admission that it's hearsay, but it's not.

I've read them. Many others have read them. You don't have to believe me. It's entirely up to you. But consider the following:

Blizzard (and many, many private citizens) were making money hand over fist due to the model of D3 at the time and the fact people were essentially shoehorned into buying gold to get ahead. Blizzard has a proven track record of doing whatever they can to maximise their profits, arguably even to the detriment of the game depending on who you speak to.

Is it more likely that Blizzard shut a cash cow down because they were forced to, or more likely that they chose a game model that brings in far, far less revenue purely for the 'benefit of the game' ?

You can argue that I'm looking for a conspiracy if you like. However, I can assure you it is something far more mundane.
For years I never touched POE.trade. It was too many clicks and too much out of game-ness for my ADD to deal with. Now that I got more used to it, I think it needs to be integrated into the game. POE.trade is the critical thing that enables you to get through merciless at level 65. I had self-found character after self-found character just crap out at level 65 because I didn't get the drops I needed to make a build work. POE.trade makes it so that the chaos I found turn into a viable build. If the content requires that I make trades to progress up to maps, then I should be able to do so in the game. That I need to jump out and use an external trade app breaks the immersion and turns this into some kind of hybrid/game/forumposting adventure. Just put an item bulletin board in game already.

//POE.trade is not an AH, it is strictly buyout.
All they need to do is have an option for people to buy items directly from shared stash when listed for an exact price. Keep the interaction for unpriced items or people without premium stash.
"
Nubman wrote:
All they need to do is have an option for people to buy items directly from shared stash when listed for an exact price. Keep the interaction for unpriced items or people without premium stash.

I would support this fully

Cant stand the price fixing thing, im usually ok when i buy items but when I go to exchange currency the first 10-15 people are fixers
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info