Damage Over Time Changes - Part 1

While removing double dipping is necessary, these changes, at least at first glance, are going to deepen another problem. Even now if you're not an elemental build, you have to supplement your build with either bleed or poison, or both if you what to consider tackling higher difficulty content. Having passive tree nodes, that not only grant regular stats, even at a bit lower values, but also status ailment bonuses almost certainly will encourage players to include status ailments in their builds, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Maybe it would be better to apply these changes, meaning adding support to status ailments, in a form of new support gems and maybe even adding something to the already existing ones.

Another point, if my concerns have any validity, that with these changes boss immunities should be also addressed. It's no fun to play a Viper Strike build that is extremely reliant on poison damage just to be gutted by boss that is immune to poison, and also rendering Growing Agony jewel useless.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Pathological wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:
As a semi-professional gameplay programmer, this solution seems to me... unnecessarily complicated.

What I would have done:

1. As you collect the modifiers that apply to the initial Hit, build a list of those that could possibly apply to DoT (i.e. Fire Damage and Area Damage may or may not apply, but Attack Damage definitely cannot).
2. If the Hit causes a DoT, pass this list to the calculation that applies modifiers to the DoT.
3. The DoT calculation is not allowed to apply any modifier that exists in the list.

In short, if a modifier was used to scale the initial Hit, it cannot scale the DoT as well. But modifiers that could have scaled the initial Hit but didn't, can still scale the DoT. E.g. "Fire Damage" cannot scale the Ignite from a Fireball (because it already scaled the initial Hit), but it can scale the Ignite from Ice Spear if wearing Hrimburn.

But what do I know about PoE's internals, eh?
That's no less complex than what they are doing. Your way requires comparisons of applicable terms, while theirs does not. They require only the base damage, the game intrinsically knows which multipliers to apply based on the damage type.

Pretty much all this change means is that instead of parsing 20% of the multiplied base damage, they are parsing 40% of the non-multiplied base damage.

~100 fire damage, ~20 added fire damage, 40% more spell, 35% more fire, 30% more elemental, 100% increased fire, 50% increased spell, 20% inc duration

Current system:

120*1.2*1.4*1.35*1.3*2.5 = 884.52 damage per cast
884.52*0.2*1.35*1.3*2*1.2 = 4470.7 ignite dps

New system

120 base fire damage
120*0.4*1.35*1.3*2 = 168.5 dps ignite

Your proposal:

884.52*0.2*1.2 = 212.3 dps dot

The above numbers make the change seem more extreme than it already is - the change is a massive nerf, but it required a massive nerf to reach any semblance of balance. Double dipping was far more broken than most people know.

What I'm saying is, if you want to remove double dipping, my solution is how you do it. What we have here is a complete and arguably unnecessary redesign of DoT mechanics which will incur a whole lot of balancing. I'd rather these efforts went into more pressing issues, like the abysmal melee-ranged balance. As if.

Your solution is no more functional than theirs, and requires more effort. It is not in any way a redesign of dot mechanics - the only change is the base damage it starts from. Nothing else.

In order to create a dot of a given value of damage, they need to know base damage, damage types, and multiplier values. In their version, base damage changes, nothing else does, and the damage no longer double dips. In yours, you still need to know all of the above, as well as comparing damage types of the source attacks/spells to the damage types of the dot. It's an extra step that isn't necessary and doesn't better achieve the goal.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but in light of the changes are there plans on adjusting the life of T16 bosses and shaper? Also, are there plans on adjusting immunities? There is a massive jump from T15 to T16 and I would be happy with T15 bosses being buffed instead of T16 being nerfed, but the dramatic increase in life is really odd. Also please consider buffing the life of regular enemies (normal, magic and rare) so there is a smoother transition between those and the bosses as well.
What is going to happen to rf? Or is it just doing double damage with an extra multiplier?

seems... not entirely ok.
Sorry for the long post. In the unlikely event of a short post. There sure is something I should feel sorry about anyway.
The way you word this makes it sound like you're going to have the damage calculated before crits. Are critical hits no longer going to do extra DoT?
Hello everybody. I play this game since january 2013. Like many other players, my first 5-7 characters rip (bad builds, can't go higher 70-80lvl). Then I start reading forum, found Poison Arrow build, but I didn't have time even complete it(find good gear and up all gems) - PA was nerfed. Now i made another build based on Split Arrow, bleeding and poison. And what i hear? You nerf it again?!
I never can't kill uber atziri, never seen shaper(can't kill 2 of 4 t16 bosses).
Do you have statistics how many people kill endgame bosses with bow and w/o ES?
I want balance between classes and between HP and ES. For all four years i have collected just 30ex, but 1000HP kaom that lets me kill uber atziri costs 300...
It seems strange to include "fire damage" modifiers, but not "elemental damage" modifiers. I also have to wonder how things like hrimburn will fare when they have "cold damage" connection removed from ignite.

I mean you could probably add an exception to the hrimburn item that cold damage modifiers applied to ignite, but still, it bears asking the question.

At a glance it also looks like crits no longer scale ignites etc, is this true?
"
To compensate for the loss of damage from the removal of "double dipping", the damage of player Ignites, Poisons, and Bleeding have been doubled."

What about us? who doesn't use those mechanics. How we will be compensated?
"
Kastmar wrote:
"
To compensate for the loss of damage from the removal of "double dipping", the damage of player Ignites, Poisons, and Bleeding have been doubled."

If you don't use ignite, poison, or bleeding, you don't "double dip" anyway, and therefore need no compensation to aid your damage.
"
YesImEvil wrote:
"
Kastmar wrote:
"

If you don't use ignite, poison, or bleeding, you don't "double dip" anyway, and therefore need no compensation to aid your damage.

From manifesto.

"Builds that focused on the damage type of the Poison, Bleed or Ignite they caused were capable of receiving a significantly larger increase to their damage from certain passives and skills than builds that didn't use these mechanics."

So they are gonna be compensate for it. So My question is how we will be compensate? Because we would still doing less damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info