64bit client crashing

Guys it's been said but I'll say it again.

Right click POE desktop icon
Select "Properties"
In "comparability" tab check "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations"

This is going to solve a wide ranging host of issues not just with POE but with other games as well. Have you ever heard the phrase about "too many hands in the pot?"

You've got NVIDIA or AMD settings telling your GPU what to do. You've also got POE settings telling your GPU what to do. And without changing some settings in Windows you've got windows telling your GPU what to do.

It's no surprise that we experience issues, the only shocker is that we ever run smoothly. Another tip is to check your NVIDIA/AMD settings and make sure none are in direct conflict with POE settings. It's generally better to set 3d/physics settings to "allow the application" to decide.

It is always, I repeat always, better to cede control to the application from a stability standpoint.

Case in point;

I recently built my wife what can only loosely be described as a PC.

-Intel 8086k
-EVGA Super RTX 2070 FTW Ultra
-EVGA FTW Gaming Mobo
-Corsair RGB Vengeance x32gb
-Corsair h150 AIO Water Cooler
-Several extra Corsair bearingless fans
-EVGA 1000wa PSU
-Corsair x570 Crystal Series Case

The build was largely plug and play. Hook everything up, install windows, update drivers and away she went with a smile on her face. Then we bought a 55" 4ktv so naturally I oc'd everything and pushed that GPU to the max via the NVIDIA control panel.

Nearly immediately she started having issues in any game that was fullscreen. The solution was/is to not allow windows to have any control whatsoever on gpu performance. There are ways to do this via group policy and registry but why mess with all that? Just right click your desktop icons and check the "disable fullscreen optimizations" box and there you go.

Having an issue with text scaling improperly on 4k? Go to the same area and play around with "change high dpi" settings until it displays properly.

These are not faults of GGG nor is NVIDIA or Windows to blame. The same settings that caused my wife crashes may in fact prevent a different hardware setup from crashing.

Hopefully this has been helpful to someone.

In summary, when you encounter in game issues, start on the assumption that Windows is doing something it shouldn't be doing and then work from there.
I've had issues with crashing for about a week now, a lot of the same errors folks on here complain about.

Sometimes I'd get an event log saying kernelbase.dll fault, sometimes it would tell me I was out of memory, but everything I tried only had marginal improvements and I was still crashing constantly (tried lowering all graphics settings, turning off fullscreen optimize, turn off multithreading, etc)

Yesterday I increased the paging file size on my system drive (C: for most everyone) and that seems to have done it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

That'll walk you through increasing your paging file size. Mine was set to a minimum of 200MB and max of like 3-4 GB. I increased the minimum to 1GB and max to 8GB and haven't had any crashing issues since. I've cranked all my graphics settings back up and no crashing at all when I was crashing constantly before increasing the page file.

I think maybe PoE loads too much stuff into memory too quickly, and Windows 10 doesn't increment the size of the paging file fast enough, causing crashes.

This might not fix everyone's issues, but it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

One more thing to try if your having crashing issues.

I have the same problem, but I found a 100% solution, fuck this game, all ggg, and so on, go and practice, run, do something for yourself and health, and don't get pissed off by the fucking computer for a fucking game, and all the fucking virtual world good luck :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info