Tempest Shield

I am not sure if it has been discussed before, however as I have looked at what is a buff/debuff, it follows that block would be 5% if you take inner force and the 3% with life. It comes to 4.96 percent if I am right.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether it comes to 5% block?
"
I am not sure if it has been discussed before, however as I have looked at what is a buff/debuff, it follows that block would be 5% if you take inner force and the 3% with life. It comes to 4.96 percent if I am right.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether it comes to 5% block?
sadly, doesn't around up, it drops the decimal.

an easy "fix" would be to increase one of the nodes' effects by 1%... interestingly it makes an even 25% which is math friendly =p
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Feb 28, 2014, 1:36:19 PM
Thanks for the info. Saved a lot of testing trouble for me.
The weird behavior that makes Tempest Shield shut off when zoning and/or when random gems (aka not the ones linked to the skill) could use some investigating and a fix.

Additionally, could we do a QoL change for this skill and change the damage to "reflect" so that it doesn't apply Corrupted Blood stacks? It fills the same niche with The Anvil passive, so it shouldn't really have that downside.
It's not random Gems that shut off TS - it's specifically Gems socketed in your Shield. An item needs to be re-equipped to apply its new stats, and socketed Gems are a stat.
I have a request for a new stat to be added to this gem: "Your block chance is applied first". By this I mean that your chance to block would be rolled before evasion (and dodge if you have acrobatics). The reason why that change would be helpful is that for characters who use Tempest Shield for offense/utility reasons (such as Power Charge on Crit), evasion really reduces your effectiveness even if you aren't trying to get any.

Say you have 60% block chance, low evasion, 25% crit chance on Tempest Shield with a high level/quality Power Charge on Crit. You will be shocking things and proccing power charges pretty well. Then a party member with Grace joins, and you don't have IR. Your power charges would stop being sustainable just from that.

Even as far as fluff/intuition goes, it makes sense that a character whose shield counterattacks things with lightning would not go out of his/her way to stop enemies from hitting it. They would block everything they could, and try to evade what they couldn't. In general of course it is preferable to roll evade/dodge first because of stuns and status ailments, but Tempest Shield changes all that, and the gem should reflect this.
Change the description of this skill. It doesn't enchant your shield, it enchants the caster. As it's stated, it should work with Necro Aegis, and it seems it neither does, nor is it intended to.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
Has anyone had success with Tempest Shield + Elemental Equilibrium + (fire spell)? It seems TS+EE could be useful as a way of 'passively' penetrating enemy resists, but there's a dilemma. Letting monsters hit you is generally bad, but if you outmanoeuvre them so they can't hit you, then TS never fires either. There's also the danger of getting murdered by reflected damage if you pair EE with a heavy hitter like Flameblast or Discharge. So I'm wondering how well this approach works in practice and how tanky you need to be to pull it off. (Let's assume you don't have a legacy Aegis Aurora or anything ridiculous like that.)

Also, how much work do you need to put into Tempest Shield to make it an effective source of shock in the late game?
"
I have a request for a new stat to be added to this gem: "Your block chance is applied first". By this I mean that your chance to block would be rolled before evasion (and dodge if you have acrobatics). The reason why that change would be helpful is that for characters who use Tempest Shield for offense/utility reasons (such as Power Charge on Crit), evasion really reduces your effectiveness even if you aren't trying to get any.

Say you have 60% block chance, low evasion, 25% crit chance on Tempest Shield with a high level/quality Power Charge on Crit. You will be shocking things and proccing power charges pretty well. Then a party member with Grace joins, and you don't have IR. Your power charges would stop being sustainable just from that.

Even as far as fluff/intuition goes, it makes sense that a character whose shield counterattacks things with lightning would not go out of his/her way to stop enemies from hitting it. They would block everything they could, and try to evade what they couldn't. In general of course it is preferable to roll evade/dodge first because of stuns and status ailments, but Tempest Shield changes all that, and the gem should reflect this.
Tempest shield encourages you not to stack dodge or evade. That's a design intent.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
edit: why do i have that stuck in my head then?
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Apr 23, 2014, 9:56:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info