Tempest Shield

"
kjy112 wrote:
"
charmolipi wrote:
any plans to change the % requirement on mana? now that auras got nerfed ,i see noone will be using tempest shield

I have to second this. Maybe change to a flat mana reservation instead of %? Not sure

i think flat reservation will end up making it worse.

it will certainly make it worse for low mana builds and it's not like clarity that you can say p.e. that you can keep it at a low level if you have low mana (you usually have low mana on builds that you don't need that much regen either way)

i find it quite good for a % reservation, but maybe lowering it a bit to like 20-15% would be better.

OR

since it is a buff and not an aura, change it like all other buffs to a limited duration. Like molten shell p.e., make it a 10sec duration (that benefits from increased duration obviously) and X mana cost. This way you can even link it to the new cast when damage taken support and etc
"
shroudb wrote:

it will certainly make it worse for low mana builds and it's not like clarity that you can say p.e. that you can keep it at a low level if you have low mana (you usually have low mana on builds that you don't need that much regen either way)

i find it quite good for a % reservation, but maybe lowering it a bit to like 20-15% would be better.

OR

since it is a buff and not an aura, change it like all other buffs to a limited duration. Like molten shell p.e., make it a 10sec duration (that benefits from increased duration obviously) and X mana cost. This way you can even link it to the new cast when damage taken support and etc

It would be great if it becomes a cast like Blood Rage and refresh when kill, because at the moment, 4% block chance for a skill that reserves 25% of your mana seems very expensive.
IGN: Wackadin
Last edited by kjy112 on Nov 2, 2013, 2:14:41 PM
"
kjy112 wrote:
"
shroudb wrote:

OR

It would be great if it becomes a cast like Blood Rage and refresh when kill, because at the moment, 4% block chance for a skill that reserves 25% of your mana seems very expensive.

Since it's a defensive/block/thingy, I think something like arctic armor would be more appropriate:
Tempest fortress: 0 mana cost reservation, x mana/sec drain, disables itself if you move.

And while for some it's just a 4% block, for most is also a passive damage skill that helps quite a bit 300+ damage/block +shock is really good)

edit:

does anyone knows if the damage part is calculated at the time of casting or is it calculated each time an opponent takes damage?
with things like power charge on crit and etc this could alter the dps of the skill a lot, also if it's calculated on cast then you could potentially swap a wand for extra damage and etc.
Last edited by shroudb on Nov 3, 2013, 10:50:18 AM
Tempest Shield in itself is so cool...

But I'm still on the refuse-to-use side.

*You can't play with Necromantic Aegis still.
*Curse on hit works, but just for that single target.
*Cast on Critical doesn't work for Tempest Shield(or any other spell for that matter)
Spoiler
I don't understand this, Cast on Critical works for both ranged attacks and Spectral Throw, as I understand it, why not let it work with spells?

*I thoght about using Tempest Shield with Power Charge on Critical, but I have heard other people say it only gives you one charge, and then to get additional charges you would have to recast the Tempest Shield buff or spend the charge already gained.
Spoiler
I had a spark mage before 1.0 using voll's armor. With 1 cast(spark+fork+lmp+added chaos) I could get a full set of charges. This may have been from the armor and might be different if using Powercharge on Crititcal as an approach

I still think Tempest Shield is quite cool, but I will not be using it till something happens with it.

ALL my high block builds have 2 things in common. 1 - they have high block... 2 - Tempest Shield is not in my plan.

For my no block and low survivability builds I could be using Tempest Shield. But why bother? All you get is a nice flashy effect and 4% block and you still won't be able to go nuts with this skill. I'd rather use cast when damage taken+decoy totem. Or just go with some random aura.

Reserves 25% mana for 4% block and you get to recast it everytime you zone!! And you get a minor poke for damage to 1 mob out of 100... In the meantime my Light Warp Totem just killed 30 on it's own and I managed to 3shockstack the remaining 69 mobs.
Ban Tempest Shield I say! Tempest Shield is a troll!

Why not let the buff refresh itself with every critical hit it deals, so we can start using this skill a little...

End of rant...

Ps. Sorry for rant. But everytime I get into Tempest Shield or Punishment I go super nerd rage mode.
Last edited by VeryBrightLight on Nov 3, 2013, 3:36:38 PM
I think they fixed the Power charge on Crit so it gives you charges every time you get a critical hit, still you need a lot of crit, not to mention block to make the skill work.

I was using this skill before the patch for the extra block since there wasn't enough available for my build but with the new passive tree i'm sitting at 76%(1% going to waste), i'd love to get rid of some points and run TS but it's just not possible with the mana reserve. The damage it puts out and it's abilitiy to shock is nice if you build around it.

"
does anyone knows if the damage part is calculated at the time of casting or is it calculated each time an opponent takes damage?

It's still a spell, yes you do cast it once, but the damage gets calculated every time you block so you can't make an imprint of uber wand/scepter when you cast the skill and then switch to your regular weapon.
IGN: FoughtBledAndWeptForGod, WoE_HitoZ

stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hitokirizoro
Probably been mentioned before but... 25% mana reserved for 4% block and some lightning damage seems too much. Tempest shield needs either a buff or less mana reserved imo.
It's just to much mana and the damage is laughable.
IGN: INativityInBlackI/Unchainedd
Does the Block chance and Damage of Tempest Shield get buffed by the new "% increased of effect of Auras you Cast"?

Also, I think it would offer an incentive to use Tempest Shield if it would have the added effect "1% increased maximum Block Chance".
Block Chance is not affected by Increased effect of Auras, sadly. According to the character stats at least.
Currently, Tempest Shield provides 4% Block and that's it.
well you can increase the effect of block chance you get fro mthis skill it's just that you won't get it if you take increased effect of auras. What you need to do is take increased effect of buffs you. Innerforce and Holy Strength being two of those.

Likewise, molten shell also benefits from those, atleast the armour part.
IGN: FoughtBledAndWeptForGod, WoE_HitoZ

stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hitokirizoro

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info