Plz help me understand reflect damage

Plz help me understand this.

I am doing pure cold damage.

For test i did a map with 18% elemental reflect. (let's say 20% to ease calculations)

I have 75% cold resistances.

75% resist to 20% damage means i take 5% self reflecting damage

I have 2% Leech from Passive Tree, 2% from Support Gem and 2% from Warlords Mark to a total of 6% life leech

I have Vaal Pact which makes leech instant and apply before reflect

6% life leech should mitigate 5% reflect damage but that is not the case, i made sure mobs have the warlords curse before hitting them but i still receive reflect damage, can anyone explain why?
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2017, 7:32:55 AM
Leech applies first then then damage is reflected. Leech does not mitigate reflected damage in anyway
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
So if i take a heavy reflect hit that takes away 90% of my life while i'm at 50% life that means i instantly leech to full health then take damage which leaves me at 10% health?

Because that is exactly what i saw from the testing i done.

So then if i take a heavy reflect hit that takes away my full life in one hit i am dead no matter how much Life Leech i have. :(
you should be fine with that setup against packs as long as the reflect damage is small enough not to oneshot you. are you sure leech from the tree actually affects your damage type? you deal 100% cold damage with attacks?

edit: yes, VP leech occurs before the reflect damage. this means, if your leech is high enough, you should be on full HP the moment you take reflect
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 19, 2017, 9:51:04 AM
Yes. It gives you a chance to heal before it takes the damage. If damage was taken first and then leech, you wouldn't be able to attack anything unless you had enough life first or you would die.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Yes @Ludvator i have Elemental Leech from the tree (Vitality Void) ...and no i am not fine ..that setup was just to test how much Life Leech i need to not Die in Normal Maps from one single hit on a single Reflect Mob.

I am trying a Ranger with almost 100% crit chance and 500% crit multiplier for perma freezes on bosses ..and with Ice Shot i often offscreen Reflect mobs that cause me to die in one shot.

If i lower my dps i no longer freeze bosses, most don't freeze as it is, i though Vaal Pact + Leech was the solution but i just realized Leech is useless if it doesn't save me to die in one hit.

I will try uping my cold resistance to 80% and using a ring that mitigates 30% elemental reflect. Potions are useless because of offscreening so i can't go more then 80% cold resist. But i don't think it will be enough, there is no other way to mitigate reflected cold damage.

I think this game is expecting every Bow Ranger to run around in Legacy Kaom's Heart to survive reflect.
What is your max life? Increase your HP and/or maximum cold resist. Also I doubt your Warlods Mark is reliable for a ranged char

"
PayneK wrote:
Yes @Ludvator i have Elemental Leech from the tree (Vitality Void) ...and no i am not fine ..that setup was just to test how much Life Leech i need to not Die in Normal Maps from one single hit on a single Reflect Mob.

I am trying a Ranger with almost 100% crit chance and 500% crit multiplier for perma freezes on bosses ..and with Ice Shot i often offscreen Reflect mobs that cause me to die in one shot.

If i lower my dps i no longer freeze bosses, most don't freeze as it is, i though Vaal Pact + Leech was the solution but i just realized Leech is useless if it doesn't save me to die in one hit.

I will try uping my cold resistance to 80% and using a ring that mitigates 30% elemental reflect. Potions are useless because of offscreening so i can't go more then 80% cold resist. But i don't think it will be enough, there is no other way to mitigate reflected cold damage.

I think this game is expecting every Bow Ranger to run around in Legacy Kaom's Heart to survive reflect.

Vessel of Vinktar
Sibyl's Lament
Sapphire Flasks
Atziri's Promise

Hearld of Ice + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark vs Mobs

There are many ways to solve this problem.

or simply, don't run reflect maps.

Last edited by Sentilial on Feb 19, 2017, 10:36:35 AM
from what I understand, he is talking here about single reflect mob and one-shots that VP is unable to counter

lets say you have low-end 4k life, 75% resists and hit 18% reflect mob. this would mean you can deal up to 89k elemental damage with single hit? I was able to reach even higher numbers with high rolls on lightning discharge but it does not seem likely with Ice shot.

with decent 5k life and augmented resist to 80% (1% passive, 4% purity), lethal hit damage would go up to 139k (65.8k on dual reflect).
I'm not trying to run reflect maps, i'm trying to not die in one hit from one single reflect mob in a regular map by dealing 70k dps pure cold dmg (with 50% cold penetration) and having only 4k life. (and not giving up on dps because i would lose the ability to freeze stuff)

Edit: @Ludvator yes that is it, i will try to up my life to 5k somehow + 80% cold resist, problem is i have +1 Chain from Deadeye so if the Reflect Mob is surrounded by other mobs multiple arrows might chain hit him

I swear Reflect is such a build breaking pain.
Last edited by PayneK on Feb 19, 2017, 11:07:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info