Help! Keep hitting a ceiling at 70ish

"
BaalSeinOpa wrote:
** Cold to fire on Vortex is bad as it does not affect the DoT part of the skill
You are forgetting about EE.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
The best advise is to look at the builds in the forums and use them instead of trying to make your own.

IMO this is actually some of the worst advice you can give a new player.

It's important for a player to discover the game and how it works by playing it.

A new player should try to play a few characters before looking at a guide. This way they understand a little of the game and can hopefully address their inefficiencies as they play a new character that is based on a guide.

A new player who blindly follows a guide will not learn the mechanics of the game as to why they are failing as easily if they hadn't played the game following a build that worked, if you understand my meaning.

If a player understands the game they will be able to band-aid/improve their character they made based on a guide rather than jumping to a new build when they fail because of insufficient game knowledge.

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
The best advise is to look at the builds in the forums and use them instead of trying to make your own.

That's NOT good advice. It takes all the fun out of playing POE, there'll be plenty time in the future for following other people's builds.
Favourite armour? Hmmm, I forget it's name, but it's that scarlet one that whatsherface wears when she wants to look splendid.

I like Marmite.
"
"

That's NOT good advice. It takes all the fun out of playing POE, there'll be plenty time in the future for following other people's builds.

it depends.... i started playing in 2012, and quit probably a few weeks in, my char was pretty laughable, no dmg no survivabiliy, no clearspeed, i had no idea about game mechanics, was frustrated and quit

i came back 4-5 years later for breach league, just followed a built and played two chars to lvl 90-92 and had ALOT of fun, playing a third char to lvl 90+ right now

playing good builts from others instead of my own crappy one really saved the game for me

i feel like makin ur own builts is for advanced players.....
Dried lake has a lot of puncture, so make sure you have staunching flasks and learn to use them.

You should have 75 res for all but chaos.

You should have at least 3K life.

You should have an escape skill like whirly blades/faster attacks/fortify for when you get surrounded.

Get some leech going, either from Ascendency or the gem.

Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
Thanks all - I would have responded earlier but the flu really knocks you out.

These aren't my first characters. I've built and deleted maybe 7 or so. I've been playing since 2012. I've worked builds before but most builds don't actually give the reason BEHIND what they're doing. I enjoy them, but I would like to figure out at least a basic deal. You know?

I don't have the ability to play hardcore - I get maybe a couple of hours per day to play, if the family doesn't preempt my time. :) And I'm not a min-max person, typically. I was looking to see what my thinking had screwed up.

Thanks for the 300/act life (and 2x ES) guideline. I had not seen that before. That is one thing I needed.

thanks, as well, for the advice on vortex. I thought I'd read up on it before starting this alt. I guess it didn't bore through my thick skull.

the "add # to # attack" was incidental. I'd been trying to get resistances up as I thought that has been my issue previously You mean -40% chaos is not a big deal? Even with Atziri's or an amethyst flask, I'd still be at -5%.

I actually fully re-did my gear to get to what it is now. Wow - big mistake, eh? It was all ES gear previously (I think I had one that was self-found ES/Evasion) but read somewhere that armor helps so went hybrid (plus it was cheaper - should have been a hint, eh?)

I had enough refund points to get my life up to 2137 with 1028 ES. I'll see what I can do to get gear to get the life up (at least until I can respec more.)

Okay - thank you! Cheers!
post in my thread, going to help some new players out when league gets closer to ending

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1830496
I got a fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
Hi there

I took some advice and went with a recommended build - pizza blasts, flameblast totem. I've also got glacial cascade totems for now, they come in handy. Character is LegaEntha.

I know my gear isn't optimal yet, and I don't have a lot of ES. I'm at 74 and just running Dry Lake. I can run it solo if I'm careful.

I haven't run much of the rest yet - I did run the mines without much trouble. Got swarmed a couple of times and couldn't get out. I know I need a staunching flask.

I don't have much currency, so I've been running mostly self found - I WAS SSF but have had fun joining pugs for dry lake. :)

any thoughts or suggestions? Much appreciated!

Thanks
Just follow the guide then. For the upgrades check: http://poe.trade/

You can upgrade your gear for a few chaos´.

I think you got pretty low life, dno what build are you following but you should go for more life if hybrid (es + life) or just take chaos innoculation passive and go full ES.

The gloves, belt, rings and rare wand should be upgraded first.

So are you going for hybrid (es + life) or pure ES (with chaos innoculation) ?
"
SoCalBoomer wrote:
Hi there

I took some advice and went with a recommended build - pizza blasts, flameblast totem. I've also got glacial cascade totems for now, they come in handy. Character is LegaEntha.

I know my gear isn't optimal yet, and I don't have a lot of ES. I'm at 74 and just running Dry Lake. I can run it solo if I'm careful.

I haven't run much of the rest yet - I did run the mines without much trouble. Got swarmed a couple of times and couldn't get out. I know I need a staunching flask.

I don't have much currency, so I've been running mostly self found - I WAS SSF but have had fun joining pugs for dry lake. :)

any thoughts or suggestions? Much appreciated!

Thanks

I guess the advice you need depends on what playstyle you want. How attached are you to SSF gameplay?

If you're willing to trade, check out this video from ZiggyD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_YcUIeubG0

It's a 5 part series, but it will help explain a lot of what you need to look out for in gear.

You don't take a lot of life nodes, so I assume you are going CI?

In that case try to get some better rings, shoot for at least 120 total resistance on each. Someone mentioned it, but look at poe.trade for items. I think most you can get cheaply :)
Character limit of 300 characters exceeded
Content can not exceed 5 lines in length

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info