Torment: Tides of Numenera

I don't know man ... if Morte isn't coming back then I'm not coming back either ....
"
Temper wrote:
I don't know man ... if Morte isn't coming back then I'm not coming back either ....
This isn't Planescape, this is Numenera, so no Morte :(
Spoiler
spoiler alert!
Spoiler
Also, I don't get why the game have "Torment" in its name. As was noted in one of the reviews, original game was revolving around what your previous incarnations did, you had to uncover it and decide what you think about it and what you will do about it in your current "iteration". TToN story doesn't have any of that, the only thing that looks alike is you also don't have any memories because of rebirth. But the problem is, rebirth wasn't yours, you aren't related to your old "self" in any meaningful way, it is even less "your" than in original game because God Daddy is in fact still alive and kickin'.
Also, Shadows in first game weren't so... blatant?, they were in the story but didn't appear as imminent threat for much further in the story. What I'm trying to say is that P:T beginning is more "find out what is going on, what to do, oh and also who the hell we are by talking with people(and skulls, and ghosts, and zombies :)) and solving riddles", while Numenera OTOH is "oh shit Big Bad is going to kill you lets kill some shit (while watching some memories along the way... how do they even do it inside the fight? okay, okay, its magic, I get it) and run away". Little disappointing.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Story/rpg elements : 95%
Graphics : 80% (for an rpg)
Gameplay : 70% (could use refining)
Combat : Awful, don't want even to rate it.

Overall a decent game but lacks polish and combat could be made a better experience. Luckily I went the route of silver tongue.

Ratings done comparing it to recent games in genre. pillars and tyranny (even though they have their own negative sides too)
Spreading salt since 2006
Im holding my horses here since Ill play 2.6.

story 95% is a good planescape game to me tho

PS:T had pretty forgettable combat (and super easy too).

what I heard that worries me is linearity. PS:T wasn't linear.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Torment is just such a different experience. It's like being inside a detailed book. Almost to the degree that it is challenging to stay focused in processing the wealth of information you have to contemplate, yet so unique that you will probably never forget it.

These games, at least the old torment, are just something very very special. Like this guy says talking about his father:

"Another game he had was Planescape:Torment. I watched him play it, but didn't get into it myself. I thought the main character was ugly, the environments weird... it was just too far out there for the younger me to appreciate. I wanted swords and dragons and castles, and P:T had transdimensional rifts, wisecracking floating skull party members, and little combat in lieu of long text boxes. But, a part of me knew I had missed something, and growing up I would keep thinking I let something slip when it came to that game."

Those are actually pity reasons not to get into the game. Personally the game didn't grab my attention simply because I highly value gameplay in a game and in that regard PST it is just not that good to be honest. But if you can overlook that, then of course gamers could give it a try.

"
Crackmonster wrote:

These games are just multiple levels higher in terms of consciousness(to be conscious, to be aware, to have knowledge of) than other games, they are made by individuals who are well versed in popular old knowledge and belief systems of the real world as well as some mysticism, it makes other games looks like childrens entertainment. Still, always been hard to do long sessions of these games for me due to how much you have to reflect to absorb everything, but it scratches an itch other games just do not even come close to, it challenges me philosophically without it being forced on me. Almost like the game doesn't play itself for you, doesn't try to tell you what you should think, but if you begin to examine the hidden details and invest energy on making the journey through the game, you will have been served so many thoughts about the world that you have not just been entertained, meaning that something didn't just play out and you sit passively and watch it, but you have been mentally challenged both to understand what is but also to look inside yourself to find out what you believe in.

Couldn't have phrased it better. But let just say there are other "media" out there to experience this as well.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on Mar 5, 2017, 1:16:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info