@GGG - Could someone explain why Mjolner is having its cooldown increased? [new 2.6 changes :P]

First off, seperate Cospri's from Mjolner. They're two different builds based around two different mechanics.

This increase in internal cooldown is a 60% less damage for both builds, with no explanation provided whatsoever.

Now I know that Cospri's Malice was like what pre 2.4 CoC was, and was quite strong. It was very powerful and there were several very powerful builds that used it (the discharge one is going to be dead nerfed somewhat, the DW one may surivive). I could see the balance team wanting to change it.

But why nerf Mjolner? Personally, I played it (Mjolner Romira's Voll's Devo Kingsguard Discharge) last patch, and it seems to be in a good place. It was strong but not on an unreasonable level, especially for the investment I put in just to get the build to work. The DPS wasn't as ridiculous as something like BV (which will actually do even more damage in 2.5).

If you guys nerfed Cospri's for the above reason and nerfed Mjolner to make the cooldowns the same, that seems really bogus to me.

If you guys nerfed the proc rates to further help server and game performance, why didn't you at least remove the triggered damage penalty from Discharge to keep the builds at roughly the same level, instead of completely gutting them?

Mjolner is one of my favorite build archetypes, and I've enjoyed it for quite a while. I thought it was in a good place even after the 2.4 changes (which were nerfs) to how it worked.

But now even if I get a Mjolner in Breach I'm not going to want to play it or make a build at all. 10 procs/s made Mjolner workable, but 4 will make it complete trash. Sure, you might be able to shield charge around and clear trash, but you're going to struggle to kill anything that has any HP (like a rare, a blue pack, or a map boss).

Sorry for the long rant. But I'd really like an explanation. The nerf to Mjolner, at least, seems unwarranted. Like kicking a guy who's barely gotten back on his feet in the nuts and bringing him back down.

-Savage

EDIT: Qarl's response from page 16:
"
Qarl wrote:
The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge.

We realise these uniques are not in the right place after these changes were made. The balance team (a combination of specific designers and QA) was under a reasonable pressure to pick a right answer for 2.5.0 in a short period of time. (For those looking to blame someone, feel free to assign it to me for putting undue time constraints on the balance team.)

From here, we may make changes to these uniques in upcoming leagues, or changes related to the mechanics around them. I am not sure exactly when this will occur but it's likely to be in the first half of 2017.

However, rebalancing every unique that is associated with a specific build is not something we want to do every three months. While we do make sufficient assessments ahead of time, we can't fully assess what a league's meta-game will look like. (And if we could it would likely mean we haven't made the game interesting enough.) Some item-centric builds will wax and wane with other changes. In some cases we may make the wrong call on changes to specific items.

We will not be making any changes to these cooldowns or related values within Breach league.

For Discharge specifically, we'd most like to see its primary use as a self-cast skill. We likely won't make any changes in this direction until 3.0.0.

EDIT 2: Reveal of 2.6 updates to the item (TLDR still not any good if ICD unchanged)

So here's an image with the item being 'buffed' in 2.6.

It's getting a 100% increased spell damage modifier for triggered lightning spells.
(Note that it's not 100% MORE but 100% Increased).

IMO this alone is not enough to make the item good again at all.

Without changes to the ICD the item will still be trash. Increasing the ICD from 0.1s to 0.25s in 2.5 reduced the general damage output and healing of Mjolner builds by 60%, and 100% increased spell damage isn't going to make the item worth playing again without the ICD being brought down again.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my thoughts since they say they're improving the item.

It's still not going to be used in 2.6 even with this buff.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Feb 28, 2017, 1:23:06 AM
Last bumped on Jan 15, 2018, 7:26:15 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Reddit.

Is why.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Reddit.

Is why.

It's a shame to see one of the coolest items in the game (Mjolner) being colateral damage on fixing CoC a second time (Cospri's).

Honestly the reddit community knows literally zero about things that aren't the meta sheep builds.

In other news, Blade Vortex got its damage at min stacks increased by 67% and at max stacks by 22.5%.

Why is beyond me. And why the only change to the old melee skills was targeting. Cause they are all trash compared to AoE skills like McFlurry, EQ, and Lacerate, even with the fix.

GGG did get some things right though. Like crit flask recharge, pathfinder, and the harvest.

Still no fix for Zerphi's Last Breath though.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Nov 30, 2016, 1:12:32 AM
I was trying out a CI Mjolnir and was somewhat successful with at maximum 24k dps at lvl 81. I was looking forward to complete the build and try to make it work but I guess they really hate Mjolnir and discharge.
Possibly server performance related? Or even Client performance related reasoning.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
zSavage wrote:

Honestly the reddit community knows literally zero about things that aren't the meta sheep builds.

In other news, Blade Vortex got its damage at min stacks increased by 67% and at max stacks by 22.5%.

But you can take that increased dmg, roll it up and shove it in your a*piiiieeep*. BV is completely dead now because the shit hits only 1 time in eleven years now. That plus the other changes/nerfs to flask charges means that BV is even more dead than incinerate.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
Last edited by StDrakeX on Nov 30, 2016, 4:22:44 AM
Have to redo my Dual Strike DW Mjölner now ... since i already reached 10 APS i can lower my attack speed investment for increased damage and go for 8 APS with Static Strike.
"
StDrakeX wrote:

that was hilarious
Sry for telling you man, but GGG developers team is not a pro, they came to poe when Gaben fired them.

That ppl believe that GREED GEAR GAME should be SLOW GREED GEAR GAME WITH NO PROFIT

#rename #SGGGWNP

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info