Response to PoE announcements

Been following the announcements threads quite closely in the run up to 2.5, and I've noticed that all the announcements have pages of responses of people just replying:

hype!

All the damn time. Wtf does that even mean???? Proper use of that term implies that the announcement in question is dubious, bordering on fictitious, and designed to garner unwarranted appreciation - yet this doesn't seem to be the intent.

I am now concerned that playing too much PoE reduces the average level of English literacy from "generally incomprehensible" to "now just making up words".
Last bumped on Nov 24, 2016, 3:21:08 AM
hype!
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
+1

:)
There are a butt-load of words which people use without intending them to be read literally.

I believe it's a safe assumption that in nine out of ten times a person uses the abbreviation "LOL" they're not actually laughing out loud. Simply implying that they are/were amused.

"
Altissimus wrote:
Wtf does that even mean????

In the context of an announcements thread, I generally interpret it as meaning "I'm excited about this announcement."

"
I am now concerned that playing too much PoE reduces the average level of English literacy from "generally incomprehensible" to "now just making up words".

With people connected as they are and the speed at which memetic and linguistic behaviours evolve/devolve and revolve you shouldn't be surprised to see people using words and symbols in unfamiliar ways.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
First page!
"
crystalwitch wrote:

With people connected as they are and the speed at which memetic and linguistic behaviours evolve/devolve and revolve you shouldn't be surprised to see people using words and symbols in unfamiliar ways.

I bet he isn't surprised, he just enjoys the false sense of superiority. They don't use all words in accordance with their proper dictionary definitions like I do, they are all idiots, I'm such a special snowflake.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 23, 2016, 4:50:04 AM
first page ever!

time to selfie

I know, this is a shit feedback, but seems that GGG loves
The end of all that is - The winter has come - Hold the door - The North Remembers
I hope you have a good life on the other side of the wall
“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” Gen. James Mad Dog Mattis
"
Bars wrote:
"
crystalwitch wrote:

I bet he isn't surprised, he just enjoys the false sense of superiority. They don't use all words in accordance with their proper dictionary definitions like I do, they are all idiots, I'm such a special snowflake.

It's very ironic when intelligent people who are boasting with said intelligence can't grasp the simple way of how language actually works.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:

It's very ironic when intelligent people who are boasting with said intelligence can't grasp the simple way of how language actually works.

Truly intelligent people don't feel the need to seem intelligent to others or boast about it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 23, 2016, 6:18:02 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

Truly intelligent people don't feel the need to seem intelligent to others or boast about it.

*twitches nervously*
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info