Path of Exile versus Grim Dawn

I came across this comparison piece on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_NuWJkVOo - but he doesn't give a definitive answer (unlike his other one comparing Grim Dawn with Diablo 3). Anyone here with experience of both games who has any further input on the comparison between the two?

Thanks!
Last bumped on Nov 25, 2016, 2:23:51 AM
For me, main difference is in speed of game. Grim Dawn is too slow for my taste, even if you have all items on place. I was hoping that endgame will be more fun than leveling process but nothing really changes. Imho if you like that game from beginning, it will not get better or worse..

This thread comes up fairly regularly

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=grim+dawn+site:pathofexile.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fEswWIe_B4X-aZjWltAP

I found GD fun for a playthrough but lacks depth and replayability IMO
Last edited by RandallPOE on Nov 19, 2016, 7:55:45 AM
like them both. I like grim dawn since I could proc skills off skills lol, poe dominates in builds either a cookie cutter build that clears strand in 22 seconds or a niche build that do that same map in 15 mins lol
(Location):PH
Duelist is kylo ren -_-
Grim Dawn is nice, but's it's an incredibly slow game. It feels a lot more contemplative than PoE, but with a lot less replay value and with a lot less polish.
I find the gameplay in GD very dull after a few hours in. I managed I get a high enough level that my build's gameplay was pretty much set, other than some minor excitement from the really cool constellations, and it was basically "walk forward and shoot a dinky fireball". I don't need D3's best-in-genre action animations, but the game simply offered very little visceral fun.

Nice enough plot, groovy passive system, that's about it. I am surprised my steam shows 50 hours in it. Then again, it's basically a single player game with 1997 multiplayer flexibility. Bleh.
"
Exile009 wrote:
I came across this comparison piece on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_NuWJkVOo - but he doesn't give a definitive answer (unlike his other one comparing Grim Dawn with Diablo 3). Anyone here with experience of both games who has any further input on the comparison between the two?

Thanks!

I have 120 hours in GD and 1000+ in PoE. The main difference as described by others is the pace of the game and replay value. I think a large portion of what differentiates these two games is the multiplayer aspect. PoE adds a large 'competitive edge' to the gameplay, whereas GD multiplayer is clunky and generally plagued with dupers. I think GD is a great game don't get me wrong, and is definitely worth the value especially in terms of single player gameplay. However, PoE takes the cake in its depth, itemization, currency, multiplayer and replay value.
Playing more and more GD these days , since PoE got super stale .

The ammount of end game skill builds and item combinations in GD is absolutely insane .

Oh and in GD you can actually play melee without hating your life .

PoE is fine if you wanna brag about pixels and shit online .
Last edited by skaterboy80 on Nov 19, 2016, 12:14:17 PM
"
BwenR wrote:

whereas GD multiplayer is clunky and generally plagued with dupers. I think GD is a great game don't get me wrong, and is definitely worth the value especially in terms of single player gameplay. However, PoE takes the cake in its depth, itemization, currency, multiplayer and replay value.

I find multiplayer PoE just as clunky with all the particle effects, be it from MTXs and/or skill effects. One of the major reasons I stopped playing in party with PoE a long time ago. I mostly go solo all the way. As for dupers to single-player, there is RMT to multiplayer. PoE is not exempted from this.

For a game like Grim Dawn catered to offline single-player, it has a lot of depths. Maybe not as much as PoE when it comes to endgame, but the coregame has an incredible foundation. Not like Grim Dawn is done, Crate is still updating the game with more content (the next roguelike dungeon is considered another endgame option, will be added for free to GD owners either this month or the next) and then there is the next major expansion which will include a lot MORE content.

As for itemization, I see PoE and Grim Dawn really similar to this. I cannot say which is better since both have their own approach, but at least both are better than Diablo 3. lol

Currency.....well Grim Dawn is still going old school, which I do not find it wrong with it. PoE tries to make a unique approach, but with the whole RNG system so...RNG, at the end of the day, it is just treated as gold or iron bits for trade.

Replay value depends on the person. If you played massively in Diablo 2 and still like Diablo 2 a lot, Grim Dawn takes a similar approach of the game that way too. Making more characters with different builds.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Nov 19, 2016, 1:25:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Grim Dawn, but I kind of wish there was a more structured, smooth end-game for me to enjoy. It just feels like it's lacking something in that aspect. I often think of the game and log in, but then I feel like there's nothing to do so I just log out again.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Rifts / Maps in other ARPGs?

There's a few options available, but;

- I find hunting Nemesis spawns tedious. It takes too long to get there, then the fight's over too quickly. The system's sort of comparable to bounties in Diablo III; there's a decent idea there, but it just feels barebones and feels like there's not enough action involved.

- I tried farming the Fort Ikon Prison dungeon. It has a lot of positives - the monster density is great, it doesn't take long to get there, it feels structured compared to running around aimlessly looking for Nemesis monsters. But eventually you get tired of running a single instance.

- I'm not sure what it is about Bastion of Chaos and Steps of Torment, but I never liked either instance. They're fun enough for a single playthrough per character, but the idea of farming them just makes me lose interest in Grim Dawn entirely. I don't really get why... it just does.

The Crucible DLC is a step in the right direction, but it feels far removed from the rest of the game. It's definitely worth the money (as is Grim Dawn in general), but I feel like it would be better as one form of end-game content, where at the moment it's pretty much the only serious option.

If you want to only play one or the other, then I'd say Path of Exile has a lot more to do and if you spend the price of Grim Dawn on additional stash tabs you're in for a good time. But you could also spend less / nothing on PoE, and play both that and Grim Dawn to get the best of both worlds.

tl;dr: I think Grim Dawn is a great distraction for people during the lull at the end of challenge leagues and so on, but it's not really a viable replacement imo. I'm glad I bought it.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info