Blight

"
hankinsohl wrote:

1) It's you that first brought up the possibility of a 6-link Blight for some reason, not me.
2) You propose that this skill somehow is benefitial to an ED/Contagion/Wither build.

So what links to you propose for this?

And given that your ability to actually use this skill is limited, just how much utility do you think that this skill will have - your wither totem will often die - you'll need to replace that; you'll need to move quickly out of range of numerous attacks; sometimes bosses will attack with channeled skills meaning that you can move into place to use Blight. But at what cost? Again, let's see the links for an ED/Contagion/Wither/Blight setup. Whatever you come up with isn't going to be nearly as flexible/good as existing setups.

Moreover, you're competing with poison stacking via ED casting. How much better off are you than that?

I used a 6 link of an example of what its dps would scale up to don't put words into my mouth it is a skill and it is possible to 6 link it.

and at the moment i'd hierophant and double totem it it in a wand/dagger/scepter with increased AoE and just leave it to stack up for a free 40k dps, i'd probably keep poison as well if possible as you may as well add it in on ED, wither needs a 3 as well and a 4 for contagion chest+ED for 6 leaves you 2 4 links one for aura one for utility.

Works fine for what I have in mind but I wouldn't self cast it in its current form because its just too short range
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 19, 2016, 4:03:25 PM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

I used a 6 link of an example of what its dps would scale up to don't put words into my mouth it is a skill and it is possible to 6 link it.

and at the moment i'd hierophant and double totem it it in a wand/dagger/scepter with increased AoE and just leave it to stack up for a free 40k dps, i'd probably keep poison as well if possible as you may as well add it in on ED, wither needs a 3 as well and a 4 for contagion chest+ED for 6 leaves you 2 4 links one for aura one for utility.

Works fine for what I have in mind but I wouldn't self cast it in its current form because its just too short range

Uh, "words in my mouth" - again, you first mentioned 6-link for some reason, not me. Let's agree to drop that though. It's not my main point.

OK - let's assume that the range was fixed.

Links please for a build usefully leveraging Blight in some way.

This skill sucks in all ways possible even if AOE were fixed.

Why - because it's smack in the middle of AOE and single-target - being pretty much horrible at both when compared to other skills/skill combinations.

Single target? Limitations of channeled skills rule it out for a primary single-target skill

AOE? Contagion + ED is already pretty awesome at AOE - how is Blight supposed to compete with that? Maybe with some huge AOE it could replace Contagion - I'll admit that. But ED + Contagion is already good enough - do we really need a skill to replace Contagion?

Supplemental damage? Perhaps you suggest that this skill can augment ED/Contagion/Wither Damage. Keep in mind that you'll spend a lot of your time dodging damage and replacing your wither totem which will frequently die - there's precious little time to sit still and cast some sort of channeled skill to augment damage. Meanwhile, you could be recasting ED for poison stacks, even if you need to move often. Finally, just what are your links - ED/Contagion/Wither/CWDT?/Utility?/Movement? - you're going to sacrifice quite a bit of utility to work Blight into your build and once there, it's situationally useful against some bosses.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 4:28:18 PM
"
hankinsohl wrote:

Links please for a full chaos build.

I don't know why you are so angry I think it should be changed substantially, you seem to want a T1 chaos skill which would just remove the entire point of the other chaos skills existing.

If you are running a trickster with 100% cast speed its gonna take 3s to stack it to 20, it does 12300 pre wither with 500% spell damage and no links if you void manipulation, increased duration, controlled destruction it on a target with temp it'll last 10 seconds ish for 24619/s pre wither (or 1230 per cast)

Same stuff for poison off a 6 link ED gives you average hit of 396 pre gems for a hit of 5144 post supports, with a DoT from poison of 7.3k per cast, 20% less duration than blight, 5.84k, 2.5 the cast time, 2.3k/cast

Ok the math don't lie its garbage, totem only atm :p, it'd come out higher in a 5 link, or considerably higher if they fix double dipping but right now you have no reason to cast it instead of another ED if your running poison.

I've been convinced i'll change my complaints to it needs a major damage buff as well as a major usability increase, I didn't quite boil my maths down correctly up there as i didn't scale rapid decay vs increased duration which is an extra 2.5 seconds but its still basically a 4 link to do the same damage as poison or worse.

Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 19, 2016, 4:33:34 PM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
hankinsohl wrote:

Links please for a full chaos build.

I don't know why you are so angry I think it should be changed substantially, you seem to want a T1 chaos skill which would just remove the entire point of the other chaos skills existing.

If you are running a trickster with 100% cast speed its gonna take 3s to stack it to 20, it does 12300 pre wither with 500% spell damage and no links if you void manipulation, increased duration, controlled destruction it on a target with temp it'll last 10 seconds ish for 24619/s pre wither (or 1230 per cast)

Same stuff for poison off a 6 link ED gives you average hit of 396 pre gems for a hit of 5144 post supports, with a DoT from poison of 7.3k per cast, 20% less duration than blight, 5.84k, 2.5 the cast time, 2.3k/cast

Ok the math don't lie its garbage, totem only atm :p, it'd come out higher in a 5 link, or considerably higher if they fix double dipping but right now you have no reason to cast it instead of another ED if your running poison.

Not sure why you think I'm "angry" - I'm simply refuting the assertion that this skill, in its current form, and even with fixed AOE (well it might replace Contagion in that case) is in any way viable.

And pretty much every knowledgeable POE player agrees.

I might as well ask, why are you so angry (I don't think that you are angry)?

As for a top-tier Chaos skill - yes, it needs to be in that category to displace ED/Contagion/WIther simply due to the lack of links for this skill to act as a supplement to damage for ED.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 4:39:23 PM
"
hankinsohl wrote:

Not sure why you think I'm "angry" - I'm simply refuting the assertion that this skill, in its current form, and even with fixed AOE (well it might replace Contagion in that case) is in any way viable.

I am angry now because this skill is so bad! I had to crunch numbers for it to be highlighted I don't usually estimate these things wrong but double dip is so damn strong on a 6 link it just crushes it and renders the entire skill pointless at the same time.

Just /facepalm

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
hankinsohl wrote:

I am angry now because this skill is so bad! I had to crunch numbers for it to be highlighted I don't usually estimate these things wrong but double dip is so damn strong on a 6 link it just crushes it and renders the entire skill pointless at the same time.

Just /facepalm

Me too... well not angry per se... I'm disappointed.

Based on the skill reveal videos I really wanted to like this skill. And maybe GGG will fix it due to overwhelming negative feedback.

For me, I'll play an un-nerfed meta skill to start off the Breach League until I finish 40/40 - from there I'll pick some sort of build I think is competitive and fun to play.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 4:52:23 PM
"
hankinsohl wrote:

Finally - have you actually tried this skill out? In the game?

If not, try it out. Please. Then come back here and let us know what you think.

I did and that was my first message on this topic.
I've seen a LT Shaper kill aswell (cause Vinktar ...)
Last edited by Iyacthu on Nov 19, 2016, 7:02:46 PM
I wonder if this skill was even tested? whatever.. nice troll ggg
I feel like this skill could have an increase on it's damage, and to make it worth the actuall short range and that you have to stack your damage, they could give it an healing/leaching effect like essence drain and perhaps a little bit more powerful so that there would be a reason to choose bligt instead of contagion/essence drain. I have a 46 character that doesnt have that much of cast speed, and yet i can stack corrupting blood from mobs on myself faster than i can kill them. Really not worth using it.
Oh look, yet another new skill designed with stacking debuffs!
Stop GGG, just stop.

The only way you make any stacking debuffs interesting is if the duration is significant enough for party play, a single person using the skill can get the maximum stacks.

I had high hopes, yet again, of a decent chaos skill being introduced to the game. Blight fell flat on its face.

You have to look at all skills, ALL SKILLS, where a player wants to use them late game. It does not matter if your design intention makes it an early game or mid-game skill, people want to play skills to the late game, from start to finish.

If you cannot design with that in mind then it's time to go back to the drawing board.

From what I can see, blight does not look like an end game skill. It's damage is poor to average at best, probably abysmal with party play. The skillgem looks like it was honestly designed for 2-3 Spell Totems. But why the hell would anyone want to play it that way?

The "Defensive" mechanic on this skill is nothing. Mobs are already too close in melee range when you get hit, the slow is not really a slow, and the duration is piss poor.

---------------------------------------
Now let me introduce some ideas that might make the skill interesting and buff existing mechanics.

Change the Primary duration to 5 seconds, and change the secondary duration to 3 seconds. This will make stacks last longer, thus getting more damage, and a better duration for the slow. Making the slow duration longer will allow players to safely reposition themselves as needed.

Change the movement speed slow to something like temporal chains.

Add a new mechanic to some chaos skills in general? Bodies slain by this skill are destroyed on kill, leaving no corpse. There are so few skills or mechanics that make use of this, and chaos is meant to revolve around death/decay anyway. It adds some interesting flavor into the mix.

--------------------
Red is where the current damage output is, and Green is where the expected output should probably be.

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
Last edited by Hixxie on Nov 20, 2016, 9:36:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info