[2.5] Frozen Orb Witch ((Frostbolt+IceNova))

Frozen Orb is the final Cold Spells skill that the Sorceress can learn. When cast, it spins before the caster, emitting Ice Bolts in deadly, pulsating spirals that cut through large crowds of enemies quite nicely.... Oh, wait... Wrong game, my bad.

VIDEOS!
T11 Bazaar - Really did not think about how tanky things get with those endurance charges... I also had a hard time playing with my framerate dropping a lot while recording. Overall a fair representation of the build though, you can definitely see what I mean about bosses, I had a hard time here in particular.

T8 Tropical Island - This build just excels at open straightforward areas like this. It's super fun, but you can clearly see that I struggle to keep my golems up and have to regularly swap my golem summon button. Any advice on how I could make this better would be welcome!

The Good
+Fun to play and level
+D2 Nostalgia
+Clears quite nicely on T8-12 maps(Untested higher)
+Works well on low budget and scales with high
+Looks cool as hell.(Heh...Get it? ;D)

The Bad
-Slight learning curve for aiming frostbolt
-Decent but not great defense
-Socket/Skill heavy
-Probably not as optimized as it could be
-Have to stand still a lot, which is hard for bosses

Passive Goodness

Bandits are all passive points - You could maybe go with cast speed in cruel or a frenzy charge in merc to possibly increase clear speed.

PoEPlanner

Official Tree

Gem and Skill setup

Ice Nova - Controlled Destruction - Ice Bite - Cold Pen((Spell Echo if not using pledge of hands)) - Empower/Faster Casting

This is our main clearing skill when combined with Frostbolt, There's plenty of other ways to set it up though. This way is just what I found easiest to use, but throwing in a concentrated effect and/or increased area of effect works well.

Frostbolt - Controlled Destruction - Elemental Focus - Cold Pen - Empower/Faster Casting

Pretty similar setup here, though I honestly haven't tested anything past the 4th link yet. OH CRAP I FORGOT LMP--Wait... No I didn't. If you're at all familiar with Frozen Orb Sorceress you know why I chose to forego multiple projectiles on this. If you aren't familiar though, just know that we have all the AoE we need from Ice Nova.

Orb of Storms - Chain - Curse on Hit - Frostbite

This is what we use for cursing as well as triggering Elemental Overload consistently. Pretty cool, right? :D

Vaal Discipline - Inc Duration - Frost Bomb

This gives us an oh shit button if we're taking heavy damage and need to not die, as well as good cold res debuff for rares(Helps a ton on resistance modded geeks).

Ice Golem - Lightning Golem - Minion Life

More damage and speed as well as meat shields, what more could you ask for?

Discipline//Arctic Armor//Flame Dash//Clarity

This is where things get iffy, because we just don't have enough slots for all this shit. An unset ring is recommended.
Discipline and Arctic armor are great defensive buffs, Flame Dash is used to trigger our cold penetration from ascendancy, and Clarity helps sustain mana.

Gear

Tons of options for gear, the only thing I'd say could be mandatory would be Valyrium for dealing with stun. I'm sure there's other ways to deal with this, but this is what I found to be the simplest.

For the rest of your gear, get as much ES/Res as you can on everything. You'll want %cold damage or %cast speed on your jewelry, with %ES also being fantastic on amulets.

There's several pretty sweet uniques we could use on this, but really you could run this almost entirely on rares and be perfectly fine. For shits and giggles, here's the uniques I'm currently using.(Taryn's Shiver is great, though I'm currently using it just to cast portal...)

Flasks are also pretty optional, though I highly recommend at least 1 Quartz and 1 Silver. You should have a staunching and a heat flask somewhere though, like most.
Here's mine, using sapphire flask until I get reduced ele reflect ascendancy.

Last edited by kuraku94 on Dec 30, 2016, 7:05:35 AM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2017, 12:58:26 PM
Quite interesting idea. Can you upload some vids?
Added videos!
bump
Last edited by kuraku94 on Dec 1, 2016, 1:50:21 PM
"
kuraku94 wrote:
bump
"
kuraku94 wrote:
"
kuraku94 wrote:
bump
bump - revival of this build coming soon - planning on trying out a few diff things (like pyre for example) to get the damage where I'd like it to be. Miss playing this build, it's really damn fun.
Hi,

I'm new in this game and this build is very intersting. But i don't understand how you doing to make this chain of explosion with your orb.
I mean when I launch an ice nova on my orb it's make only one explosion. It's pretty slow and not easy to touch. It's because my faster casting support gem is not lvl max ?
Maybe i'm still low lvl ? This builds need a minimum lvl and stuff requirement for doing what we can see in the videos ?
Last edited by Ludocris on Dec 27, 2016, 2:34:14 AM
"
Ludocris wrote:
Hi,

I'm new in this game and this build is very intersting. But i don't understand how you doing to make this chain of explosion with your orb.
I mean when I launch an ice nova on my orb it's make only one explosion. It's pretty slow and not easy to touch. It's because my faster casting support gem is not lvl max ?
Maybe i'm still low lvl ? This builds need a minimum lvl and stuff requirement for doing what we can see in the videos ?

It may very well be that you're lacking spell echo, I actually need to update that so thank you for mentioning it - If you don't have the Pledge of Hands staff, you need to use the spell echo in your ice nova setup or it will cast slow.
Hey,
I tried your build and I like it very much!
But how do you get the strength for the staff?
Right now I'm playing with a wand and a shield, it's working but I wanna play the staves :D
Last edited by Lillifee123 on Jan 10, 2017, 9:14:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info