A word about the Labyrinth Leaderboards and rewards

So here's the thing: ever since the leaderboards were introduced, and the jewel rewards in place, pretty much the same people have been getting jewel reward every single day.

For example:
STD Merc Lab
STD Endgame Lab

The same guy who is on top now has been pretty much every day for a long time. He pretty much has a monopoly on the jewels.

So my suggestion is this: reward the jewel to more players. How? One of several ways:

-Reward to the top, say 5 accounts (so you can't just build 5 of the same char and get it on one account)
This still has issues with alt accounts with the same build, however.

-Reward to the top character each day of each class. This would likely need to be from the 7 base classes (not each Ascendancy of course). This would mean up to 7 jewels would be given out each day. And it would take a lot of investment into 7 different characters on 7 accounts to be able to snipe all of them.

-Combining the above two in some form (ie award the top 5 accounts, but only one of each ascendancy class can receive a jewel. So if the top 8 were 4 pathfinders, an assassin, a juggernaut, a deadeye, and a necromancer, one of the pathfinders would get a jewel and all the other characters who weren't pathfinders would as well.)

-Lastly, putting an account wide cooldown on being able to win the jewel. For example, say you could only win 1 jewel per week but they still gave out 1 per day.

Thoughts?
-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Oct 27, 2016, 2:16:39 AM
Last bumped on Dec 10, 2016, 9:00:57 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
cooldown is not a good idea. it is artificial. it is very easy to circumvent for people trying to (create alt account, trade gear, win). it punishes player (not a build, but player and his skill/dedication)

however.. the whole idea of 'competetive race' with ONE reward, ONE! is pretty bad. it is the same issue POE's PvP had: you either win (and these places are already taken) or you are a fodder without any chance of progressing (there is little to learn from being repeatedly rotflstopmed).

so the actual 'lab racing' scene is very small - probably less than 20 people total. because you simply check the result, see '3mins' and think 'ok, my best is ~5. no chance, move on'. not to mention that GGG insistence on NOT fixing how the time is calculated (includes zone-in time..) made good players/bad computers to not even bother.

the same mistake they did with PvP they did here. pretty sad to see it tbh.

it is an economy tool. create rare and good commodity (jewels) and set it up so players who want to make their money that way - can. however it turned into 'playeR who wants to make his money that way - can' pretty quickly
The lab leaderboard system is messed up. There is no indication it exists in game and you can't even track your times in the game. Even if the game gave a forum link or something to the ladder that day, it would be leaps and bounds better.

Aside from those issues, the reward is indeed rather lacking in terms of how many people get access to it. A cooldown wouldn't even make an effective "nuclear" option since players would simply circumvent it with multiple accounts and tracking the person's IP address or even MAC address would present issues.

I do like the idea of giving a jewel out to the top character of each base class, but that runs the risk of the same person making multiple characters to do it and then just getting even more rewarded. At that point fixing the issue once again hinges on tracking IP or MAC addresses.

There's the theoretical extreme case of someone who bought 7 computers and had 7 accounts going through and winning it all, but given that investment they might deserve the rewards.

If it's discussion of the jewel rewards then it comes down to how rare they are, how powerful they are, and what sort of prestige is or ought to be attributed to owning one or more of them.

Their rarity ought to be determined by how powerful they are and what sort of prestige is intended to be attributed to owning one or more of them and thus the effort put into being top of the leaderboard or to pull together the currency to buy one if it's being sold.

Their power can range from blah to pretty good depending on the build and how much they can leverage the % extra stats.

For example, a Pillar build with 1000 flat strength before any %increases would get up to 60 increased strength from Emperor's Might. 60 * 1.6 = 96% increased physical weapon damage on Pillar, so no amount of other increased damage mods or even strength + increased damage mods can compete with that. However, attack speed mods could compete with it depending on the build, so the jewel isn't necessarily BIS which is exactly where uniques should be. Similar situations arise for other stat-scaling builds such as Whispering Ice and Iron Commander.

The prestige part is something I'm not sure I can comment on since the very concept of attributing some sort of celebrity status on someone who did a thing that happens daily seems absolutely ridiculous to me. It's not like they're anywhere near as rare as mirrors, and even if mirrors had an average drop rate of at least one per day (which does not seem likely) those mirrors would be randomly distributed across the entire playerbase instead of something you can basically guarantee through good play.

The power level seems fine. The prestige part, to me, seems moronic. Discounting the prestige stuff, their power and rarity and thus price do not seem worthwhile. I can see them being worth a couple exalts in softcore, but 6+? Hell no. Since they're in a decent spot in terms of power, their rarity should be tweaked which means giving out more of them.
"

I do like the idea of giving a jewel out to the top character of each base class, but that runs the risk of the same person making multiple characters to do it and then just getting even more rewarded. At that point fixing the issue once again hinges on tracking IP or MAC addresses.

There's the theoretical extreme case of someone who bought 7 computers and had 7 accounts going through and winning it all, but given that investment they might deserve the rewards.

The power level seems fine. The prestige part, to me, seems moronic. Discounting the prestige stuff, their power and rarity and thus price do not seem worthwhile. I can see them being worth a couple exalts in softcore, but 6+? Hell no. Since they're in a decent spot in terms of power, their rarity should be tweaked which means giving out more of them.

A word on the top of each class rewards: No one is really going to get close to the pathfinder times. Times by characters of other classes would be much more competitive, I would think.

On the pricing, that's what happens when a small number of players have complete control over the supply of an item. They have a monopoly and can charge whatever they want, and people playing some builds will pay it.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
The one per each main character class is actually a decent idea. While it does introduce more into the economy only really 1-2 would ever be used for anything other then just trophy characters.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I also have no idea how he manages to be twice as fast as the second best player. I think I could not even run through the lab in that time (I also need at least a minute for all loading screens I think).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:
I also have no idea how he manages to be twice as fast as the second best player. I think I could not even run through the lab in that time (I also need at least a minute for all loading screens I think).

I know how he does it ;p

1. Low latency + Lockstep mode
2. Good hardware for fast loading screens + poe installed on ramdisk for optimal performance
3. Lot's of experience in running lab makes you remember the layout and choose optimal paths and not make mistakes in dead-end corridors
4. Optimized passive tree
5. Optimized gear
6. RNG luck in layout
7. Dedication and patience

As far as his build goes he probably has around 800%+ movement speed and he 1 shots izaro on each phase to minimze time

He does not kill any momnsters except izaro because killing other monsters would be a waste of time.

Peace
-Achilion
IGN : Sir_Big
Last edited by Achilion on Oct 27, 2016, 10:19:46 AM
Worst thing of this system is only one criterion. Only time. No treasure keys, no opened silver doors/chest, no touched dark shrines.
E = mc^(OMG)/wtf
"
DoEFotGS wrote:
Worst thing of this system is only one criterion. Only time. No treasure keys, no opened silver doors/chest, no touched dark shrines.

Exactly. This makes "degenerate" builds that focus only on speed, the only viable option.

Introduce a point system, where time, opening silver / gold chests, clearing mobs, etc... would give XY amount of points. Having a dynamic Lab, instead of static / day, would also help in ladder diversity.

But all this would require a lot more balancing & testing.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
The BEST way to distribute the prizes between a larger pool of the few dozen participants would be to randomize each new instance of the lab so that the layout completely changes and cannot be 'learned' everyday.

The current implementation is poor and only benefits jobless people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info