Chaos Damage Mechanic

"
TheLockedGuy wrote:

@BacktoHell [Removed by Support] I don't get it. And I really dislike trade in this game. Why should I have to deal with it to make a build? The game lacks build diversity because it tries to punish you for things it shouldn't punish you for. Because someone will abuse it otherwise. Builds keep getting destroyed because of this crap. Instead of fixing Chaos they will probable just remove CI. It will be like block. Instead of fixing it they will remove basically all the ways of getting it. And build diversity will go down. But instead of talking about it we should all shut up and wait for it to happen right? I think I will turn you down. I want more options in the game for more builds. [Removed by Support]

The 1st line was a joke ('sad but true' if you like) -.-

I agree with you. Thank you for posting!
"
TheLockedGuy wrote:
You basically said what I said. But instead made it sound as if everyone should see it that way.

Powerful rewards in the game coming at great costs to other parts of your character being appropriate IS how everyone should see it. Do you think 30% more spell damage is something you should just get with little effort?
ign: Quepha
Last edited by Nykken on Oct 25, 2016, 7:59:48 PM
"
Nykken wrote:
"
TheLockedGuy wrote:
You basically said what I said. But instead made it sound as if everyone should see it that way.

Powerful rewards in the game coming at great costs to other parts of your character being appropriate IS how everyone should see it. Do you think 30% more spell damage is something you should just get with little effort?

Not even doing any spell damage with my low life build. So that node doesn't help me in the slightest. I guess you assume too much. I Honestly think that... That "30% more dmg node on low life" should also have something like you take more damage. It would make it easier to balance other things. Such as low life it self. But think whatever you want.
From a design/historical perspective, I think this is what lead to the current situation:

1) GGG make 'pain attunement' node. It's not supposed to be super reliable - if you use it the downside is you need to be on low life. This is a big downside, so it is fine how it is. Either you need a lot of chaos resist and great life management, or you only have it as a boost for when things get tough.

2) GGG make Shav's. Seems like an interesting mechanic, and it's harmless enough, right?

3) Community realises you can now do low life builds. Basically all ES builds that aren't CI become low life builds (because now pain attunement has no downside). Shav's is obviously ridiculously OP; almost every non-CI ES build needs to own one.

4) GGG realises their mistake and nerfs Shav's. It's not enough though.

5) So now they have to decide what to do. Should they try to un-do the damage? If so, they could remove it (legacy hammer), nerf it in to oblivion (Solaris Lorica style), or make it even more exceptionally rare (a la Skyforth). But, everybody loves low-life builds now. They're a huge thing, and killing that playstyle would lose too many players. So, they just went into damage-mitigation mode. They buffed the drop rate of Shav's so it's wasn't so rare, and left it as a stupidly OP build-enabling unique. But at least now everybody could aim to own eventually if they wanted to do a low-life build.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Oct 26, 2016, 1:59:18 AM
I don't even know when Shav's came out. My account was locked for over a year. It was over something really stupid.

Anyways I love the concept of paying life to get things. For example in League of Legends my favorite and most played champions are Dr. Mundo, Mordekaiser, and Vladimir. The thing they all have in common is they pay life to use there skills.

This is why my favorite skill in this game is RF. Unfortunately with the current changes my old RF build simply doesn't work anymore. Maybe there is a way to do RF now. But the way i used to do it won't cut it in higher maps. So instead of trying to rebuild it. I tried new things such as blood magic and whatnot. Different things realted with life such as low life. And when all the different builds I theory craft come down to needing the same thing. I think it is bad/poor game design.

I think if adding Shav's enabled low life builds that was a good thing. However; with it being the only thing that can enable so many different low life builds its also bad. I don't see this as a problem with Shav's being added. I think it just brought to light the problem Chaos damage has had all along.
Last edited by TheLockedGuy on Oct 26, 2016, 2:34:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info