Why does this game bring out the worst in people?

Over the past few weeks, the number of attempted scammers and generally BM people has been at an all time rise but today I had the pleasure of meeting someone who said he was broke after he was scammed and wanted a bro deal because he had literally no currency left. Sure enough, checking his post history show casing his loath bane build and threads for mirror service of items.

I'm honestly losing hope in humanity when someone who likely has more exalted orbs than donald trump needs to lie through his teeth to save a measly 20 chaos orbs. Please tell me people like this are just wired differently.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2016, 8:35:49 PM
ROFL
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
LOL
Last edited by Spermadzika on Oct 20, 2016, 3:32:28 AM
it's like in real life, the real rich guys didn't get their whealth from serving the system rather than playing it to get the most out of other people who are left out poorer.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Nephalim wrote:
Please tell me people like this are just wired differently.

Yes, they are. It's called antisocial personality disorder - colloquially, psychopathy or sociopathy. Statistically, they are around 1% of the population, perhaps even more. This means if there are, say, 3000 people online at a given time in Standard league, about 30 of them are like that. Wired differently.

They are an oddity and an exception, it's just that the nature of the trading system and the economy makes them more visible. Also, with today's globalization, even 1% translates to significant numbers given a broad enough pool.

Fun fact: the group with perhaps the highest concentration of psychopaths is CEOs. The utter lack of moral compunction and ability to lie with conviction makes them well suited for politics and business.

You're calling this behaviour pathetic because you would feel like a piece of shit if you were acting that way. They, however, feel just great doing it. It's not pathetic from their point of view. I suppose moral behaviour looks just as baffling to them.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 20, 2016, 3:47:39 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Please tell me people like this are just wired differently.

Yes, they are. It's called antisocial personality disorder - colloquially, psychopathy or sociopathy. Statistically, they are around 1% of the population, perhaps even more. This means if there are, say, 3000 people online at a given time in Standard league, about 30 of them are like that. Wired differently.

They are an oddity and an exception, it's just that the nature of the trading system and the economy makes them more visible. Also, with today's globalization, even 1% translates to significant numbers given a broad enough pool.

Fun fact: the group with perhaps the highest concentration of psychopaths is CEOs. The utter lack of moral compunction and ability to lie with conviction makes them well suited for politics and business.

I don't want to live on this server anymore. How it took me 4 years before I encountered someone so far on the bell curve is I suppose something to be thankful for.

I'm honestly disgusted.
Last edited by Nephalim on Oct 20, 2016, 3:47:44 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:

I don't want to live on this server anymore. How it took me 4 years before I encountered someone so far on the bell curve is I suppose something to be thankful for.

I'm honestly disgusted.

edit: in typical fashion, I added one more paragraph to my previous post. Anyway, they are everywhere. One percent is actually huge considering modern population density. You know people like that in real life, everyone does. Contrary to what the movies tell us, they aren't serial killers - not because of some ethical principles, simply because it's irrational and not in their best interest. Most work in politics, business, commerce, law enforcement, medicine, law and some other professions where the odd way they are wired gives them an edge. If you're wondering 'why medicine', it's because it's a lucrative and respected profession and the lack of empathy helps a great deal when you're dealing with human suffering on a daily basis.

About the part where you're disgusted, would you be disgusted if a bear attacked you in the woods? They act according to their nature. Morality is an alien concept to them, just like to a predator out in the wild. Think of these guys as just one of the facts of life. Like it or not, it's how it is.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
p.s. I can't tell how it is exactly to be one but I imagine it's not great to feel distant and disconnected. They lack a whole spectrum of human emotions - I picture it as emotional blindness. I don't envy them and it's no coincidence that there is a medical term with the word 'disorder' for this condition.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 20, 2016, 4:04:04 AM
It's hard to describe why this disgusts me more than someone who tried to scam out out of a voidheart by swapping it with a blackheart. At least in that case he was testing my intelligence and alertness as opposed to appealing to my humanity and generosity. There is no ToS rule against scamming by switching items and certainly no rule against lying for self gain.

Over just the last week, I've had one person give me an exalt orb because a drillneck he bought from for 26 chaos was corrupted for +1 arrows, another person who I had bought 10 or so T13 maps from decided to give me 6 T15 maps for free because he was grateful for the bulk purchases so I know there are good people out there willing to commit random acts of kindness despite what reddit would have you believe.

I suppose it re affirm's one of my friend's bleak outlook and people and humanity in general.
"
Nephalim wrote:
It's hard to describe why this disgusts me more than someone who tried to scam out out of a voidheart by swapping it with a blackheart. At least in that case he was testing my intelligence and alertness as opposed to appealing to my humanity and generosity. There is no ToS rule against scamming by switching items and certainly no rule against lying for self gain.

Over just the last week, I've had one person give me an exalt orb because a drillneck he bought from for 26 chaos was corrupted for +1 arrows, another person who I had bought 10 or so T13 maps from decided to give me 6 T15 maps for free because he was grateful for the bulk purchases so I know there are good people out there willing to commit random acts of kindness despite what reddit would have you believe.

I suppose it re affirm's one of my friend's bleak outlook and people and humanity in general.

There is a wide and infinitely varied world out there. Reality is so multifaceted you can never observe more than an infinitestimal fraction of it. Whether you stare hard at the bad or the good is up to you.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 20, 2016, 4:06:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info