Taking critical strikes not activating Cast When Stunned

Hello, I am playing a life-based Cast When Stunned build using the unique ring Valyrium.

In an "area contains many totems" map, I encountered a pack near an "allies always get critical strikes" totem. No matter how many times I walked in and died, I could not get any Cast When Stunned spells to trigger from the monsters' hits, and I did not see the regular stun animation play. Only after I destroyed the totem, the spells were able to proc and kill the pack.

(Edit: I could still channel flameblast, so I was not being interrupted in any way. This is with around ~100 max ES and Valyrium. I was losing around ~1000 life per hit.)
Last edited by AntiCube on Sep 25, 2016, 9:16:48 PM
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2016, 7:51:20 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Hey there. I've tried to reproduce this and can't seem to reproduce it. I got someone else to try to reproduce it as well and he also can't manage to reproduce it. We've tried it with the Diamond Totem, as well as a bunch of other crit modifiers on monsters.

Has this ever occurred before now? If you can recall, what monsters were hitting you but not stunning you?
I encountered this with exactly three packs in a Temple map. The map did have some mods, but the only one that really affected the monsters damage was "Monsters deal X% extra damage as Cold." However, I was not being frozen as far as a I can tell. (I have had previous cases where being frozen would result in no Cast When Stun procs)

The first two packs were Porcupine Goliaths, and Assault Ribbons. Not sure about the third but I believe it was some sort of statue.

Character IGN: ValyrStun
Ugh, I still can't reproduce this. I've tried all of those monsters that you listed as well as checking functionality when frozen (CwS can proc while frozen). I also checked various other things that your character is using. Unless you somehow managed to spec into Unwavering, equipped an Eye of Chayula, or spec'd into Rite of Ruin, I'm out of ideas here :(

If you get some kind of reliable way to reproduce this, please bump this thread or PM me directly. I'm not wanting to dismiss your bug report, but I simply can't reproduce this with the information that I have right now.
Okay, I did some research and experimentation, and believe I have finally narrowed down the root cause.

From Mark's post (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/619526#p5518445), I understood that freeze and stun cannot be applied by the same hit. However, in my case it was odd, because I was neither being stunned nor frozen. According to the wiki, if the duration of the freeze is below 300ms, it is not applied. I believe the issue is that, given a freezing hit (i.e. from a crit, since crits always freeze), stun is not applied, even if the freeze is ultimately not applied due to being below 300ms.

To test this, I went into the Sarn PVP Arena and met various helpful players that disclosed their skill's crit chance and damage to me. In most cases, when the player had high crit and a small amount of added cold damage (i.e. blade vortex with hatred), their critical strikes were insufficient to freeze me, but I wasn't able to be stunned either.

So, ultimately, it's a case of whether freezing hits that fail to freeze (below 300ms) should be able to stun. Currently, if I have everything correct, if a hit begins as a freezing hit, then it cannot stun, even if the freeze subsequently fails.
Interesting. I tried a Cast When Stunned build a couple years ago. It wasn't strong but it was neat. I did not think of using Valyrium to make it even more reliable. In order to make this build work you need Dream Fragments.
"
AntiCube wrote:
Okay, I did some research and experimentation, and believe I have finally narrowed down the root cause.

From Mark's post (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/619526#p5518445), I understood that freeze and stun cannot be applied by the same hit. However, in my case it was odd, because I was neither being stunned nor frozen. According to the wiki, if the duration of the freeze is below 300ms, it is not applied. I believe the issue is that, given a freezing hit (i.e. from a crit, since crits always freeze), stun is not applied, even if the freeze is ultimately not applied due to being below 300ms.

To test this, I went into the Sarn PVP Arena and met various helpful players that disclosed their skill's crit chance and damage to me. In most cases, when the player had high crit and a small amount of added cold damage (i.e. blade vortex with hatred), their critical strikes were insufficient to freeze me, but I wasn't able to be stunned either.

So, ultimately, it's a case of whether freezing hits that fail to freeze (below 300ms) should be able to stun. Currently, if I have everything correct, if a hit begins as a freezing hit, then it cannot stun, even if the freeze subsequently fails.

Let me just say, that was damn clever.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
(Bump)

So the easiest way to reproduce this, I would imagine, is to spawn a monster with 100% crit and a small amount of added cold damage, low enough such that the freeze isn't applied.
Okay, thanks to the "15% Physical Damage taken as Cold Damage" essence mod, I was able to reproduce this in a suitable video.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkGhoMDLZI

Note that the monsters have 100% chance to crit (near a diamond totem), and I take 15% of their physical damage as cold. I am being neither stunned nor frozen as evident by my flameblast channel.
Hey, just wanted to pop in and let you know that I believe I've reproduced what is going on here and have passed it on to get looked into.

Thanks for the extra info and details. Sorry for the lack of reply over the past 2 days!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info