[2.4] Crit Vortex Trap Saboteur

"
dRawJ wrote:
I think i'll stick with your build until end game, im relatively new to traps so i don't want to mess around too much. I just noticed that in the tree that there are a lot of ES nodes around the path you took, so i just wondered what your take on it was. Thanks for the reply :]

Sure, you're welcome :) Dont hesitate to post any other questions, i will gladly try to help if i can.
While i really love the idea of trapper vortex builds with 2.4 the trap and mine support gems no longer effect dot damage (a loss of ~40% more damage on the dot).
I just think its a bad idea (better than pohx's vortex miner...)
Im going to post why below not to attack you, but support my position.

With vortex crit and traps are some of the worst the worst synergistic combinations out there (even more so when you look at the synergies that Vortex can have with EE, massive ele damage, or hrimburn gloves).

Ill start by saying that vortex still does more damage than ice nova, but going ice traps assassin crit is so much better (While having the same if not better trap cd --- trap support is 4s base and IceTrap is 2s base).
Vortex traps (cluster/multi is liek a 2.5 and 2.4 multiplier) removes the ability to use EE and pyre and the effectiveness of hrimburns (Pyre makes the hit damage from vortex fire with EE this grants -cold resist so the dot does a ton more damage). Traps don't help this combination unless you don't multi/cluster them which is a large loss.

Additionally, vortex doesn't lend well to traps or mines (because of the dot damage isn't effected by the trap or mine support gems; its HITS only for the more damage).
Mind you an Ass. with a 5% base crit spell can hit 90% crit easily (Power charges are generated easily using jaws of agony shield or just blast cascade, charge potion, and/or a power charge on crit orb of storms [which can also do curse applications in a 4-5 link]).
If you think you can do Low life then ES is great (no jaws and no +3 staff). However, Vortex is best, or most easily effective, with a life based build and a +3 staff (costs 5-40 chaos).

The reason why Crit is not ideal with Vortex that crit doesn't benefit the dot damage on vortex...
Vortex is best used as a self-cast EE pyre with loads of ele damage (and aoe) with elemental overload. If you want to crit, self casting Vortex allows Assassin's mark to generate the power charges for you.

The only reasons not to EE and pyre are to use herald of ice or hrimburn gloves (which are great reasons). What HoI allows for is curse on hit HoI with two curses that apply before death (typically useful with assmark and warmark) but this isn't ideal. Hrimburns gloves allow cold damage to ignite so that is an awesome alternative to pyre/EE combination. Hrimburn build is actually better vs bosses in high tiers as EE makes spamming vortex and the spell echo support gems less effective (this can be mitigated a bit with an orb of storms proc'ing lighting EE, However the pyre and EE combination for map and speed clearign will be crazy good (its a lot like traps where you cast 1 vortex and pretty much the entire pack dies).

As mentioned before, with the pyre option is use a lighting ability to curse and proc EE for more damage (orb of storm). This is only useful on bosses or hard content.

Vortex is a very strong spell of which using traps/mines gimps its ability to scale greatly (because you have to lose dual cursing on hitting, power charges, or a +3 staff and one gems slot for the dot damage (ie 40% LESS damage from the dot)). Examples i want power charges for crit i can jaws or i can +3 staff with a 5 link chest for a pcoc + dual curse on hit setup; one being a ass/mark). I want to Low life/CI, well i cannot use a jaws (i shouldn't use one) or a +3 staff (i shouldn't, sure on standard with tons of items its possible but the losses are quite large).

I just do not see the way in which this is a good idea.
Last edited by Amarath on Oct 3, 2016, 11:40:01 PM
nice!
"
lourian wrote:
nice!

Thank you! :)
why no trap and mine damage support??
"
pharismo wrote:
why no trap and mine damage support??

The only reason why i was not using the Trap and Mine Damage Support Gem was lack of sockets ;)

>> Vortex + Trap + Cluster Trap + Cold Penetration + (Inceased AoE + ) Increased Critical Strikes + Increased Critical Damage <<

One could argue to switch Increased Critical Strikes Damage for the trap&mine damage support; didnt test nor calculate which would end up having more damage though since i only have a 5L carcass atm - i could probably test it in a tabula.
What's this looking like for 2.5?
"
Lazlash wrote:
What's this looking like for 2.5?

Phew, i honestly didnt think about it until now, but there should be basically no changes (tree-wise) if you follow the core concept of the build; the changes made to ascendancies only affected the trickster assassin-wise, so one would still go with saboteur for the Chain Reaction passive.

If you are referring to any changed gear because of the new uniques we will get to see (hype!) i dont know yet, who knows ;)

But if i missed the point of your question, please tell me what you are referring to :)

edit: typo
Last edited by Xuulang on Dec 2, 2016, 2:56:12 PM
im just trying it out, but it rly seem to me that ice trap does more damage on hits (i test it on bosses and ice trap is killing stuff noticeably faster, altho it feels slightly worse on packs) what do you think ice trap vs vortex trap?
"
Phantomik wrote:
im just trying it out, but it rly seem to me that ice trap does more damage on hits (i test it on bosses and ice trap is killing stuff noticeably faster, altho it feels slightly worse on packs) what do you think ice trap vs vortex trap?

Yes, Ice Trap has a higher "on-hit" damage (L20 Vortex [458 to 688] vs L20 Ice Trap [519 to 778]). The initial reason for me to do Vortex was that it was a new skill :)

Also there is a (small) benefit to Vortex, and that is the DoT/chill effect (L20 [684.5/s]), which i wanted to utilize for safety reasons on-top of the Blasphemy - Temporal Chains setup.

But if you are only going for "one-shot" damage then Ice Trap has a higher damage output.

Judging from my (limited) trapping experience one would have to have a secondary trap setup besides the primary trap skill setup anyways to get around the cool down times. Maybe that would be a question for Pohx.

edit: also i forgot that the hit mechanics for both skills are different; while Vortex is only one big hit and then leaves the degen on the ground, Ice Trap has several explosions; from the skill description: "[..] series of icy runic explosions [..]". That is the reason why it does feel different.
Last edited by Xuulang on Dec 3, 2016, 8:06:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info