Why are people obsessed with nerfs? - Feedback

"
laycast wrote:
The problem is they nerf things but never buff anything else. I could list a thousand items that got destroyed or are just garbage and they will never touch them because GGG wants to force a meta.
this is flat out wrong.
please compare open beta player power vs player power now. get back to me after.
"
Its stupid honestly and when i heard what kind of balancing decisions they make during that last podcast i was actually pretty disgusted. "We are scared to nerf things people like" shouldnt be any sort of excuse for things like COC existing, or Mjolner.

CoC is one of the best skill gem ever made with Discharge i hope it never gets nerf, they actually have reasons to be scared of nerfing this, knowing how many people have invested and based their build on it
"
Oriuke wrote:
"
Its stupid honestly and when i heard what kind of balancing decisions they make during that last podcast i was actually pretty disgusted. "We are scared to nerf things people like" shouldnt be any sort of excuse for things like COC existing, or Mjolner.

CoC is one of the best skill gem ever made with Discharge i hope it never gets nerf, they actually have reasons to be scared of nerfing this, knowing how many people have invested and based their build on it
thats exactly his point- GGG sholdnt be afraid to make balance changes because people like a build. especially the reason why they like its because its o-fucking-p
"
Oriuke wrote:
"

You know what those people would do if GGG nerfed CoC?

They'd move on to the next most broken build. Maybe after some venting on the forums.
There were way more Spark builds and they nerfed all of them to the stone age.
in general, people invested in something is an extremely poor excuse if you set out to do balancing, and not appeasing.

can you imagine, a politician promising to tax rich people heavily...but not those who have over 1 billion, because theyre too invested ?

the whole point of balancing is to make shit thats op and played by too many, into something thats not op.

in the process, people who play this build simply because its op and not because cool/engaging, will move onto something else. theyre only playing it because its op.

if the skill isnt completely gutted (which is hard to do nowadays anyway), people who play the skill because its cool/engaging and not its efficiency, will continue to play it
"
grepman wrote:
in general, people invested in something is an extremely poor excuse if you set out to do balancing, and not appeasing.

can you imagine, a politician promising to tax rich people heavily...but not those who have over 1 billion, because theyre too invested ?

the whole point of balancing is to make shit thats op and played by too many, into something thats not op.

in the process, people who play this build simply because its op and not because cool/engaging, will move onto something else. theyre only playing it because its op.

if the skill isnt completely gutted (which is hard to do nowadays anyway), people who play the skill because its cool/engaging and not its efficiency, will continue to play it

That's the issue rarity should not be the limiting factor. Killing content should be. No one should have to farm 100000000 hours to make any cool build. Having to play a starter build to get items to play an intermediate build to play a harder build to finally play a uber build is a better path.

Also if you just do not have the skill set its fine for people to stall out along the way too.

But making uber chase items with a super rare drop rate is a terrible idea.
Last edited by Zalhan2 on Jul 27, 2016, 6:24:56 PM
"
Zalhan2 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

That's the issue rarity should not be the limiting factor. Killing content should be. No one should have to farm 100000000 hours to make any cool build. Having to play a starter build to get items to play an intermediate build to play a harder build to finally play a uber build is a better path.

Also if you just do not have the skill set its fine for people to stall out along the way too.

I dont really see what has to do with my point, but in general there are no chase items currently that are uber rare AND are build defining.

skyforth is super op and I dont like its op-ness, but it doesnt create or define a build by itself. it greatly enhances any CI build out there (and LL ?) but there isn't a build out there that can be made with skyforth and cannot be made without it. everything that it provides can be substituted for.

thats a good chase item imo, if there could be one. a bad chase item is the old version of acuities that literally gave VP on crit without downside, at a time where it was one of the most powerful mechanics in the game. there'd be builds that wouldn't work without acuities.
I believe the concept of nerfs come from the data that is present to a company at any given time.

It's much easier to nerf something because the majority of people are playing it so you the data right in front of you.

If you buff something, you don't truly know what is going to come of it.

Plus you keep the balance of power in check. If you buff everything that is considered ~weak~ then new skills that may be currently deemed good will now seem weak compared to the newly buffed skills. They didn't actually change though. So now everyone is looking for more buffs.

This also forces you to change the game mechanics to keep up with all the new buffs. Otherwise everything at that point will be "Overpowered".

It's just far more simpler to adjust one skill/item and bring it down a few notches. Then to adjust several skill/items.

"
Zalhan2 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

Over exaggerating doesnt help your point, the coolest builds are generally budget builds that require users to fully budget gear and find the cheapest, most interesting interactions in order to achieve a cheap, easy, fun, and powerful build.

Rarity has never been a limiting factor outside the players own ability to actually try and get the item.

Theres a ton wrong with your statement, theres builds that blow away extremely well geared characters in a handful of chaos.

Super rare items are the entire reason the ARPG genre exists.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info