How to revive broken economy ?

This seems like it would just be unfun and just serve to make people quit the game. D2 ethereal items did degrade and couldn't be repaired, but there's also a reason no one played fair with them, either you didn't use it or found a way to stop the degradation.
How to recive broken economy?
DONT PLAY STANDARD(aka "trashcan legacy league")!
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 22, 2016, 4:06:04 PM
Horrible idea is horrible
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
OP is correct. Perhaps not on the degradation rate (3% Merciless sounds steep to me), but core-concept-wise.

As far as reaction in this thread goes:
1. This is something most players have never tried before (not many dealt with Ethereal itemization in D2, outside of mercenaries where it was a non-issue). It's like getting someone to try spinach on pizza; I think most people would be okay with it but hate the idea regardless.
2. Although I think a majority would actually be fine with it at the end of the day, a substantial minority wouldn't. (I'd probably compensate by NOT having items get lost or degrade at all in "hardcore" - you go back to level 1 but keep all items on death. This would mean players who loathe the idea of ever losing anything ever, and would rather level-up all over again from the beginning, could do that. This would only catch a few of that dissenting population, however.)

Perhaps most importantly, I feel this is a good idea for a new ARPG more than a good idea for Path of Exile (unless we mean a hypothetical Path of Exile 2). This game is what it is now, it has its audience. I do think PoE is getting old and stale and deserves a sequel at this point, but a change that drastic, while generally good, would be best timed with a Phoenix-like death/rebirth cycle, rather than implemented for its own sake.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 23, 2016, 1:37:54 PM
Before you try to change something..
Try understanding what it is you're about to change, -
and the effect it would have.

We have enough idiotic developers on the Video Game scene already..
Please don't attempt to turn GGG into one of them.
Did there ever exist a person playing D2 that said "I like the durability mechanic"?

How would this even help standard only players? Every 3 months, the temp league players would bring in a bunch of new items for standard players to buy so the standard only sellers certainly wouldn't feel this "revival".
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
The only way to fix what theyve done is to make Standard and Hardcore entirely separate leagues and introduce new ways to brick items, similar to Vaal orbs, in addition to creating two new, separate leagues for leagues to fall into.

People want to keep calling it a trash league, etc, its original intention before leagues was exactly that, a permanent league. The place where GGG messed up is not separating falling leagues into their own separate league.

There should be 4 permanent leagues..

Standard League

Hardcore League

Standard Void

Hardcore Void

GGG hasnt done anything to try and fix the issue either aside from Vaal Orbs in Sacrifice of The Vaal, however that plan completely and utterly failed when they introduced increased drop rates and multiple free loot leagues.

The only problem this implicates is the fact that Standard and Hardcore will no longer get league specific items unless its added to the core game. Thats good and bad, the good side of that is it forces GGG to design better leagues so they can implement them into the permanent leagues.

People who want their free loot to go "test" can happily do that in their own separate, new leagues where it doesnt affect the other permanent leagues.

Honestly this is a topic ive been thinking about for a while because i play both Standard and Temporary Leagues and this is pretty much the best thing they can do in my opinion. If they dont do anything about it, then chances are theyre going to lose alot of players in the near future.

Not only do they have to wait for new content, theres also the fact that that new content may never get added from a league as weve seen with the past handful of leagues that never got implemented. Prophecy League will probably get added but by no means is it enough to make up for those leagues that didnt get added to the core game.

And to be blatantly honest over the current situation, theyre basically stockholming people into playing the new leagues. Be a good player and play the new leagues and you get rewards! People essentially being forced to play new leagues if they want content and free stuff. Not a good thing to be honest especially for players who like permanency.

The only reason i play new leagues is for the MTX, i know for a fact by discussing this with friends its the only reason theyre playing them too.

At this point im soo tired of creating new characters and earning back all the gear i already own. Which goes into another problem which is the whole leveling process people hate. Honestly, i dont think people hate leveling, what i think is actually going on is people being fed up with the lack of permanency and being forced to play new leagues.

People just want to play the damn game but they cant when they have to play new leagues every 3 months.

Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Jul 23, 2016, 2:25:28 PM
in their initial game manifesto, ggg promised to never devalue our items, people trusted it and bought many stash tabs because they seemed like a good long time investment for the stuff they bought and found.

but it's a fact that every game needs a item sink for the ingame economy to work in the long run. i've ever been exciting for ggg to come up with something new in this regard but so far there have been no other steps than letting players destroy their items themselves with vaal orb or the most common solution: power creep.

this won't change "soon" (tm), item degradation would not be tolerated by core players of this game.
people got used to the meta which is: you like a working economy: join temp leagues. you like permanence and a playground for new ideas with no real market for your stuff: play standard.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
^^ theres certainly a market for stuff in standard, i could sell an exalt or so of jewellery a day if i can be bothered staying logged on ( i dont often anymore). Standards economy is something you can participate in because so few people do anymore. I think the same would apply for lab enchants and quality gems since lab has never really taken of in standard.
durability on items is good way to keep items price up.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info