[2.3/2.4] Elementalist Vortex build, in-depth guide

"
djnat wrote:
Can Empower (lvl 4) be used in place of Less Duration? The damage boost should be a lot higher and with no duration penalty.

Oh yeah, nice catch. You're definitely right, seeing as the base damage increase to Vortex might result in a gigantic boost.

Even a lvl 3 Enhance might be better. I'll test and edit this in tomorrow. Can't afford a level 4 though :D
Last edited by M4RED on Jul 13, 2016, 4:35:05 PM
What about using Writhing jar flask to sustain elemental conflux during boss fights without ads?
Last edited by Shell952 on Jul 13, 2016, 4:17:54 PM
"
Thaya wrote:
"
djnat wrote:
Can Empower (lvl 4) be used in place of Less Duration? The damage boost should be a lot higher and with no duration penalty.

Oh yeah, nice catch. You're definitely right, seeing as the base damage increase to Vortex might result in a gigantic boost.

Even a lvl 3 Enhance might be better. I'll test and edit this in tomorrow. Can't afford a level 4 though :D
I've tested a level 3 Empower. The damage ends up being roughly the same as with a high level Less Duration. Uses ~10% more mana, but is up for full duration. I guess it's a trade off in that scenario.

Level 4 will definitely be superior, though. But quite expensive
"
Shell952 wrote:
What about using Writhing jar flask to sustain elemental conflux during boss fights without ads?
It will probably work (unless you're unlucky, since Conflux has only a 20% chance to proc per kill). There's really only one completely add-less fight that you don't straight up bruteforce with your raw damage, and that's Ambrius which is currently worth sharing/selling portals for than killing yourself. You could speed up Argus kills like that too I guess, but Argus isn't a threat at all.

I'll add it as a pro tip in the end of the guide though.
Last edited by M4RED on Jul 13, 2016, 4:36:23 PM
Just one noob question, will it work with 2.4 ?
"
Elementalist Ascendancy gives us the following:
- Shaper of Desolation gives us Elemental Conflux or, in other words, access to Shock and Ignite without having to get Crit. Ignite is absolutely key, since any Damage over Time caused by Vortex will scale with Spell Damage, including Ignite. This is what makes the build so powerful.

I think build will work now only by 6 sec from every 14 sec. It's time when you can ignite things.
Yeah, so as pointed out already, this build got a significant change in 2.4.

Quoting the patch notes:
"
Shaper of Desolation now grants different Confluxes over a fourteen-second cycle: Chilling Conflux for four seconds, Shocking Conflux for four seconds, Igniting Conflux for four seconds and then all three together for two seconds. Each Conflux means that any damage causes that Status Ailment. Elemental Conflux was too powerful. The new version requires more strategy (and doesn't need a kill to get started).
For reference, Shaper of Desolation in the past gave us a buff (20% chance on kill, 4 seconds duration) which made all of our Hits apply Shock, Ignite and Chill. It was basically a pseudo-permanent buff that let us apply Shock and Ignite to everything. It's only weakness was versus single target bosses, which there aren't that many in the game.

So... Whilst the change doesn't straight up kill the build, it does severely nerf it. All the core interactions are still in place, and it's even a buff versus single targets/bosses; keep in mind that we run a very strong version of Temporal Chains, which stretches the debuffs - their uptime will still be good. As for the clear speed: if you're doing content where you one shot the packs, then essentially nothing changed - you will still one shot them, with or without Ignites/Shocks.

What this change really hurts however is the clear speed on higher tiers. As soon as you dip into content where you don't one shot things with the Vortex Hit (and this expansion gives many ways to boost the tiers/levels of the maps/zones you do), your clears 'consistency' will flop, and will overall be weaker than before as you'll almost never have both Ignite and Shock. It's a direct nerf in this scenario.

My personal opinion on this build now? Don't do it. Not as Elementalist, anyway. There's at least one other Ascendancy that will work better for it - Pathfinder. It too has a way to get somewhat reliable Ignites and Shocks, and its damage mechanics are overall extremely similar to the ones in this build. I'd recommend to take a look at The Anomaly Tank build. It's not the same, but quite similar, and is definitely superior in its raw power.

Good luck :3

Edit: added this post to the top of the thread
Last edited by M4RED on Sep 16, 2016, 8:18:10 AM
So, aren't we now able to bypass the need for the hp portion of the build with kiara's determination being released?
I've seen them... and they've seen me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info