Why GGG shouldn't limit players getting to max level

I take a different view of this. GGG should remove the level cap entirely.

People are hung up on 100 because it's a clearly defined end-state. GGG's philosophy (as I've come to understand it) is that the end-state should be so outlandishly rare that no one will care to do it... and that used to be the case. Now, people see handfuls of others getting to 100, and decide to throw themselves at the wall.

So, remove that frustration entirely.

EXP for level 100 (x) = x
EXP for level 101 (y) = x2
EXP for level 102 (z) = y2

...and so on. Make each level over 100 simply ridiculous compared to the last. And to top it off, 30% death penalty after 100.

Make it happen GGG. Make 100 great again.

Spoiler
Yes, I'm serious. Think about it before you post.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on Jul 1, 2016, 2:04:58 PM
No matter the arbitrary max level point, it should not feel like a chore to do so.

Currently , one could say each level after 90 is currently ridiculous to get to. So pushing it to 100 and adding levels solves nothing about the psych of a player.

Level caps are not a bad thing, they simply shift the focus of the player on how to progress.
There is always something that you can improve on a character.

As for chris mentioning end game content, their track record shows that they believe endgame to be 68+ when mapping begins. They also seem to think that balance is adding more one shot mechanics instead of engaging their players to explore.

I have seen mention of the moral system from guildwars series.
Perhaps this could be implemented into boosting the map by % more quanity,rarity, and experience gains (up to a max of 20%). It could reset each map, but would give you a good reason to explore each map. The boosts could come from killing or performing certain tasks in the map. For more straight forward layouts, the map would have less opportunity to give these boosts. For the more maze like maps, there would be more opportunities. Naturally a death would remove some of this gain.

TLDR version:
- No reward other than a few SP that you don't really need.
- Grind is too boring.
- Grind requires calculating the imbalance and maps/rolls again for every league.
- Solo it is just absolutely worthless going to 100.
- Every time I lack sustain or when RNG is against me, running maps feels bad instead of fun. The feeling of losing something.
- Going to level 100 can not be done in parties with certain builds due to their network/FPS drain.

Reason for me to avoid endgame mostly:
"
What, I believe, 'forces' players to be so calculating is that the higher tier endgame maps are expensive&semi-rare and require currency to be rolled in order to be less expensive (or for getting more xp/hour). But if done wrong, it will only give less xp/hour and costs only even more currency. Now since you can get level 90 very easily by running low level maps this is not a problem for most. But if you would like to play passed level 94ish, then you are pretty much forced into all sorts of calculations that nobody really wants but.... No choice... And often (actually always) those calculations lead to people finding imbalances or worse. Like this league where T6-8 seems to be the best xp/hour. But every league that I can remember had this problem now it's just more noticable.

Now take other hack 'n slash games, there you often just enter some endgame area and you start killing stuff. In PoE you start calculating first.

Also there is no rewards for going to 100. Those last few skillpoints or the achievement... Meh.... No incentive.
Last edited by silverdash on Jul 2, 2016, 11:10:12 AM
"
nadakuu wrote:

Ok, yes it would mean those who have struggled to 100 already would lose some prestige.

Prestige already disappeared in 2.0. If you really wanted prestige, you should have tried to beat Havoc or Baker.

You aren't really limited in reaching 100, honestly. It's not as hard as you think. Kill monsters + dont die = 100.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Jul 2, 2016, 12:18:44 PM
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
nadakuu wrote:

Ok, yes it would mean those who have struggled to 100 already would lose some prestige.

Prestige already disappeared in 2.0. If you really wanted prestige, you should have tried to beat Havoc or Baker.

You aren't really limited in reaching 100, honestly. It's not as hard as you think. Kill monsters + dont die = 100.

Except when you die because of a lag spike or you hit a pack of monsters and the FPS drops to fucking single digits. i really like this game but loosing 2hours of fucking exp for shit that GGG will not fix is irritating.
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
nadakuu wrote:

It is also highly time limited now. IF you have a job and family, good luck reaching it.
One distraction and you can loose a weeks worth of playtime.
Hardly fun with all the one shot mechanics in the game.

Sure you could run gorge and plateau all day every day and it not be "Hard" to get to lvl 100.
But the time needed is ridiculous. They should buff experience until a third can hit 100.
not balance exp because less then 1% reach it by playing 12 hours a day.
Last edited by nadakuu on Jul 2, 2016, 2:05:47 PM
99% of the game is balanced around a max level of 70ish, and half of the remaining percent is a joke at 80. Every league there is a build under 100 chaos that can farm t15 maps and the hardest part is remembering that you are truly not invincible and can die.

what would you do once you reached level 100?

As it is, exp is your consolation prize. Farmed for 3 hours and only found gear worse than what you have and no good maps? At least you got a little closer to level 100.

D3 had this issue when it first came out. Unless you do something like original inferno (LOL) in path, then there is no end game. You hit level 100, there is no reason to buy maps, no reason to hunt for better gear, you are ALREADY farming the hardest content in the game... which leaves?

So they either need to release insane areas that are NOT GATED BEHIND RNG, or leave level 100 as is, so there is something to aim for other than gathering loot to do content we are already destroying in seconds.
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives
Act 5! All level 100 zones with all level 100 drops and level 100 requrement for use. XP death penalty of reset to level 90 so it's actually dangerous. Would be a hell of a challenge and give you a reason to keep pushing after reaching level cap.
 GGG has a mentality that allowing some one to reach level 100 is a bad thing to be avoided at all costs. So first GGG increases the exp. required to go from 90 to 100. A few get to 100 in a couple of weeks so GGG doubles the exp. needed on level 99. Then a few still grind to 100 in a couple of weeks. So now GGG nerfs exp. so maybe double the number of mobs must be killed to get same amount of exp as before. So now 1 month in Prophecy there are 7 hardcore and 12 softcore 100 builds. What's next GGG? Are you going to double down and double the damage from 90 to 99 and triple it for level 99? Yes, that's a surefire way to stop the handful of racers that grind a build 24/7 to 100.

So when will the GGG insanity about stopping players from reaching level 100 ever end? When will GGG wake up and realize that doing all this is super counterproductive to keeping us happy and buying mtx and supporter packs. Hey GGG, I bought another premium stash tab 6 pack and a currency tab because I really liked Cadiro Perandus and his great wares. So this is how you treat our devotion and loyalty by nerfing exp. just to stop a handful of level 100 racers? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I know that patch 2.4.0 is supposed to bring changes to the endgame. I sure hope GGG has something good for the 99% of players that will never have a level 100 build and never expect to have a level 100 build. We play PoE because there are many things we love about it over D3 and other arpgs but mind numbing tons of map grinding past level 85 just to get to the next level isn't one of them. And don't forget the fact that all these 1000s of map runs must be done perfectly. One slip in judgement and wham, 10% exp. lost which at the high levels is days of grinding. I can't ever play hardcore because 1 mistake out of a million kills and it's all lost. Just because GGG thinks that they must stop a few racers.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 GGG has a mentality that allowing some one to reach level 100 is a bad thing to be avoided at all costs. So first GGG increases the exp. required to go from 90 to 100. A few get to 100 in a couple of weeks so GGG doubles the exp. needed on level 99. Then a few still grind to 100 in a couple of weeks. So now GGG nerfs exp. so maybe double the number of mobs must be killed to get same amount of exp as before. So now 1 month in Prophecy there are 7 hardcore and 12 softcore 100 builds. What's next GGG? Are you going to double down and double the damage from 90 to 99 and triple it for level 99? Yes, that's a surefire way to stop the handful of racers that grind a build 24/7 to 100.

So when will the GGG insanity about stopping players from reaching level 100 ever end? When will GGG wake up and realize that doing all this is super counterproductive to keeping us happy and buying mtx and supporter packs. Hey GGG, I bought another premium stash tab 6 pack and a currency tab because I really liked Cadiro Perandus and his great wares. So this is how you treat our devotion and loyalty by nerfing exp. just to stop a handful of level 100 racers? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I know that patch 2.4.0 is supposed to bring changes to the endgame. I sure hope GGG has something good for the 99% of players that will never have a level 100 build and never expect to have a level 100 build. We play PoE because there are many things we love about it over D3 and other arpgs but mind numbing tons of map grinding past level 85 just to get to the next level isn't one of them. And don't forget the fact that all these 1000s of map runs must be done perfectly. One slip in judgement and wham, 10% exp. lost which at the high levels is days of grinding. I can't ever play hardcore because 1 mistake out of a million kills and it's all lost. Just because GGG thinks that they must stop a few racers.

I am sure the endgame they will introduce will be more RNG gated bullshit.
They just need to stop caring about people reaching max level.

Does anyone have other recomendations on what could revive the game, as it is starting to feel really stale, and burned out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info