Does Izaro's attack snap-shot?

Today I did a few uber lab runs, everything went fine until I got one-shot by his slash attack. This was kind of a surprise because I had some decent defenses at the time of the hit. Noticing the wind-up, I popped three flasks, putting my defenses at 5700 Life, 31000 AR, 18000 ER and 32% flat physical damage reduction, plus Izaro was cursed with Enfeeble. I'm not sure if my fortify was up at the time. Now this was with the font of elements up, so thats also a big damage boost of course (res capped). What I would like to know if the damage was snap-shotted (so my potions did not affect the damage) or if he actually deal that much damage (you must dodge it or die)?
Last edited by Baelrog on Jun 27, 2016, 7:49:21 PM
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2016, 8:58:34 AM
Damage on long attacks is calculated at the start of the attack. If you see a big hit coming, all you can do is avoid it. See: rhoa charges.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Ok, that good to know. I really dislike that it works like that, but I guess it is what it is.
Damage, yes, but how much you actually take?
That should in no way be snapshotted.
How would it, the skill doesn't know it'll hit you until it actually does.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Damage, yes, but how much you actually take?
That should in no way be snapshotted.
How would it, the skill doesn't know it'll hit you until it actually does.

It does seem pretty suspicious, I agree. Like, what if 3 enemy attacks all wind up at the same time? Is block/dodge/etc worked out beforehand too? How does that affect your evasion entropy if one of the attacks gets interrupted? What about for chaining or secondary hits (LA, earthquake, sunder, etc) - are they worked out in advance too? Is each hit of firestorm calculated on each enemy it could possibly hit before the skill is cast?

What if you have a 99% reduced movement speed build, and cast lightning warp with increased duration? That's like 2-3 minutes easily you'd have to wait before the damage is actually dealt. Does it have to calculate the defense of every enemy on the map, including in strongboxes? And what if you use it in the Sarn Arena - would if have to work out the defense of every player who could possibly enter the arena in that time?

I really don't think it is worked out that way. The attacker's stats are obviously snapshotted, but how could they snapshot the defender's stats? And more importantly, why would they?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 27, 2016, 9:45:37 PM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

It does seem pretty suspicious, I agree. Like, what if 3 enemy attacks all wind up at the same time? Is block/dodge/etc worked out beforehand too? How does that affect your evasion entropy if one of the attacks gets interrupted? What about for chaining or secondary hits (LA, earthquake, sunder, etc) - are they worked out in advance too? Is each hit of firestorm calculated on each enemy it could possibly hit before the skill is cast?

What if you have a 99% reduced movement speed build, and cast lightning warp with increased duration? That's like 2-3 minutes easily you'd have to wait before the damage is actually dealt. Does it have to calculate the defense of every enemy on the map, including in strongboxes? And what if you use it in the Sarn Arena - would if have to work out the defense of every player who could possibly enter the arena in that time?

I really don't think it is worked out that way. The attacker's stats are obviously snapshotted, but how could they snapshot the defender's stats? And more importantly, why would they?

This logic is why I was always confused by statements that flasking up before a monster's big hit does nothing. To be fair to the developers, though, Monsters are not Players, so I think the calculation method is not symmetrical.

Maybe they actually bug fixed this at some point and most of us just forgot?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
How it should work:
The monster attack is snapshotted the moment it is started, so blinding or enfeebling the mob during the animation will do nothing to that hit.
The damage taken calculation would only be performed if it actually hits something, taking in all the variables of that entity and then applying it to said entity (codewise that may in fact be a different entity, I don't know the actual backend).
Received damage modifiers of all kind should only apply then, and as such, flasks that directly reduce the damage you take should work.

In this case, I would assume Izaro did indeed deal that much damage, thanks to the buffs.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Doesn't the slash attack deal physical damage so font of elements should not affect it? My character with 5k life, 24k armour and 24% extra physical damage reduction from endurance charges (when they're not eaten by CwDT IC) loses less than half of his life to the slash attack. If it instakilled you it sounds like the flasks indeed did not apply. Then again it sounds like you should have enough defenses even without the flasks, so I'm not sure what was up with one-shot.
All attacks snapshot, nothing special about Izaro.
Izaro base damage is physical.
Goddess barrage attack fire.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info