Discharging Spectres

I'm fooling around with the idea to use Undying Grapplers as spectres. I know this would be a very gimmicky build and most likely not be able to clear high tier maps, but I've always been fascinated by the idea.

The problem ofcourse is how to reliable gain charges for your spectres. There are a few interesting mechanics, but I'm not exactly sure how things interact with each other.

let's talk about support gems first. The following support gems could be used to generate charges:

- Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support
- Ice Bite Support
- Power Charge On Critical Support

I feel that from those 3 gems PCoC would be most reliable since Ice Bite would only ever grant charges on kill and I don't think that Spectre's would stun alot, especially not against unique bosses. So PCoC paired with Increased Critical Chance seems to be an option.

The Ascendancy

Necromancer seems to be the obvious choice. 100% increased Spectre Life and Damage plus some QoL things are pretty cool. On this note, just to make it clear: Am I correct to assume that Guardian's Harmony of Purpose does not interact with minions (since they are not counted as party members?)

Unique Items

There are a few interesting combinations, some of those come with big drawbacks tho. The first one would be Umbilicus Immortalis and Doedre's Elixir. We'd have to find a way to reliably generate Flask Charges now (even through boss fights) and the drawback is pretty immense. I would rather not make use of this mechanic.

Next would be Victario's Charity (with Necromantic Aegis). On the first glance this shield offer everything I could ask for. A fair chunk of Resistances, Increased AoE for Discharge and Power and Frenzy Charge generation (for the whole crew!). Again Power Charges will be generated on kill which isn't really good enough for Discharge. 5% chance to grant a Frenzy Charge to nearby Allies on Hit however could be the solution to this build, since Undying Grapplers also use Flicker Strike. The interting thing is that you could potentially use Zombies and Skeletons to also grant Frenzy Charges to nearby allies. So Vaal Summon Skeletons with good amounts of attack speed would probably be a Frenzy Charge power house.

Another candidate for the shield slot is Malachai's Loop. I feel that the Drawbacks are negligable since the Grapplers most likely won't get to max charges that quickly. Power Charges also offer a better synergy with PCoC.

To round this up I could probably make use of Selfless Leadership. If I put it in the socket above the witch start I could get both, Blast Radius and Annihilation for my Spectres. I'd lose the ES Cluster for myself tho, so this is debatable.

/EDIT: I just realized that Selfless Leadership isn't even in the game right now.

Well now, what do you guys think? Do you have any other ideas how the generate charges for your minions? Let me know! Feedback is appreciated :)
Last edited by kahzin on Jun 24, 2016, 5:47:11 PM
Last bumped on Jun 24, 2016, 6:21:52 PM
"
kahzin wrote:
Well now, what do you guys think? Do you have any other ideas how the generate charges for your minions? Let me know! Feedback is appreciated :)

Believe it or not, I think there is a discharging spectre build, witch or scion section I think.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
kahzin wrote:

Believe it or not, I think there is a discharging spectre build, witch or scion section I think.

I know there have been a few similar builds around, but looking them up would take the theorycrafting fun aways :P

/EDIT: okay, I looked it up. This build suggest to use a Carnage Chieftain to generate Frenzy Charges. He's linking the Raise Spectre gem to Blood Magic so they can cast their spell more often. IIRC this has been changed a while back or am I wrong?
Last edited by kahzin on Jun 24, 2016, 5:29:24 PM
Ah, right, right, say no more.

The way I'd do it myself is just equip the Victario shield and make a caster-summon hybrid with some fast hitting spell like BL or Tendrils, but that's just me, I like hybrids for some reason.

I don't think you got plenty of options, out of all support gems only pcoc will likely work reliably, discharge should have the same base crit on monsters and they're getting 200% inc crit chance per charge so that can be significant. Ice Bite would help for normal clearing and be useless for bosses and end charge on melee stun would probably do nothing.

You're right about harmony of purpose, yeah.

I suppose umbilicus would be tricky to use, yeah, the drawback is significant even if you use CI. Victario's charity is probably your best bet, I think SRS would be the best charge generator money can buy or you can do it yourself with ball lightning and culling to steal some kills. I don't think just Grapplers will be able to generate charges fast enough, they will need help.

Selfless leadership existed in beta but it was never implemented.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Go Victario's Charity with SRS as a main skill, and 4L discharge Spectres.

Should work insanely well.

Surprised no one has mention SRS (Summon Raging Spirit) yet.

Edit: Spectre + Minion Damage + Inc AoE/Conc/Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction should work pretty well as a 4L, I think. Make sure to use minion flasks to keep your spectres alive, of course.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Jun 24, 2016, 5:47:20 PM
Another Update: I reskilled a level 84 Witch in Standard (no Ascendancy yet) and tried a few things. It seems that Victario's Charity together with 10 Zombies and 5 Spectres alone is quite enough to generate charges. It becomes increasingly better when you run Haste and Vaal Haste. Clearing Dried Like was no problem whatsoever, Voll died withing seconds.

I feel that this build indeed has the potential to run maps up to T9 atleast, and it's a hell of a lightshow going on, that's pretty fun.

"
zSavage wrote:
Go Victario's Charity with SRS as a main skill, and 4L discharge Spectres.

Should work insanely well.

Surprised no one has mention SRS (Summon Raging Spirit) yet.

Edit: Spectre + Minion Damage + Inc AoE/Conc/Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction should work pretty well as a 4L, I think. Make sure to use minion flasks to keep your spectres alive, of course.

This is basically what I'm running right now. Works like a charm :)
Last edited by kahzin on Jun 24, 2016, 7:00:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info