Death Penalties

I think, like some posters brought up, the biggest problem is just how flat of a time pentaly a death gives you.

In any other game, like say.. an fps singleplayer campaign, if you die you have to go back to your last checkpoint. BUT, now you know whats coming, and are better equipped to handle it and can thus progress through it faster to get back to where you were. Not to mention it also never sets you back several hours like this game can.

In PoE however, you lose XP, and XP is as flat a time investment as it can get.
Regaining that XP will take you just as long as it took you the first time, and all it does is set you back and make you feel miserable.
Now again, for some people this is fun, but for most it is just a reason to stop playing the game for the day (or, perhaps eventually, for good).
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Feb 18, 2013, 10:43:39 AM
"
FadeXF wrote:
"
KingGloborx wrote:

Wow, just wow.

All you've done here is just tell me to quit. That's it.

You haven't refuted what I'm saying which is:
"If they respected my time, they would not subject me to a X hour XP loss on death in their game."

And just because there are a couple of rough edges that need to be smoothed in the game.. and just because I disagree with some of the items they have... doesn't take away from how enjoyable and addicting the rest of the game is.

Fatalistic logic is just stupid. People who try to use it thinking: "Oh boy - I just PWNED in this debate: you can't even duke THAT sure-shot..." are equally stupid. Do you honestly think in terms of black and white in your life? I can't imagine that. "I love rap music - all other music sucks balls" and having your mind so cut off from everything else around you. I just shake my head at people like you. So boxed in. So sad. You lose out on so much that life has to offer being that way.

But you know - I'm sure you feel confident that you actually said something. Good for you. Small steps.

What the hell are you on? There is no one ''winning the debate'' as this is simply opinions. Yours ain't better than mine. Told you why I liked the death penalty than you come with this paragraph about fatalistic logic. wtf.
"
derbefrier wrote:
One thing I don't understand about those who cry about the xp penalty comming here claiming they lost dozens of hours of progress. I mean If you die once or twice don't you think its a good idea to stop instead of throwing yourself into death repeatedly maybe rethink your strat of " kamikaze stuff till it dies". I mean death is the games way of telling you your not ready why are you ignoring this? What compels you to die over and over and over knowing the xp penaly exists. Your only loosing progress because you refuse to play by the games rules right? So what kind of crazy person knowingly does this? It just doesn't make sense.

THeres NOTHING you can do to prevent dying via Desync. I also didnt realize that there were any rules in this game saying that every player must build their characters with nothing but tanky survivable builds. It doesnt matter how careful you are, you can still die regularly in PoE.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
kosryvrdrgn wrote:
Just chiming in that I do like the EXP penalty on death. It forces me to actually consider what I am up against and prepare for it.

Some people think "Death penalty sucks" instead of "Maybe I should get more Chaos Resist so the alchemists don't raep me" which makes me sad.

I'd love to have more chaos resist, but you know its next to impossible to go from -60 to +75 chaos resist in merciless with how rare it is to find decent chaos resist gear, and how few and far spread out the chaos resist nodes are.

I took the +16% chaos resist passive and equipped two items with chaos resistance on them, and it made no difference whatsoever. The Chaos resist penalty in merciless is over the top too much with how hard it is to overcome it with gear and passives.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
PLS
DONT
REMOVE
DEATH
PENALTY
IGN: Ziggro
"
FadeXF wrote:

Here's what I took from what you write:

"You should quit because you dislike 1 part of the game" (fatalistic logic)

and

"I couldn't and still can't refute your point about respecting their customer's time."

Until you have something of substance to reply: can you do us all a favor and just don't bother? Thanks guy.

This is also from you

"
I think it's neat that you like a game a certain way. But not everyone does. And not every game has the play style and feel of this game, that we do enjoy playing.

And as I already said in your own Thread as the very first response (Still you couldn't learn from it)

GO AWAY.

If you don't like the game how it is just F OFF and stop trying to make it hello kitty online.

Edit : By the way, I think Deaths in Default League should set you back to 0% XP of your current level no matter how much you had so you have to be able to play the full level without dying to deserve leveling up.
Last edited by ItsRay on Feb 18, 2013, 11:06:47 AM
"
FadeXF wrote:

Here's what I took from what you write:

"You should quit because you dislike 1 part of the game" (fatalistic logic)

and

"I couldn't and still can't refute your point about respecting their customer's time."

Until you have something of substance to reply: can you do us all a favor and just don't bother? Thanks guy.

Nice job on being an ass. I mean ; calling the shot on who can and who can't post. Great work.

Also, love the post on how much I miss on life based on 3 little post. I mean, you know me IRL I supose? Really sorry to make you this angry on 3 little post. Didn't realise you were this fragile. My bad.

Tryed to had a debate but you only take 1 line out of a whole text each time. Nice ridance.

Also, how do you consider the fact that you can't full respec? I mean, rolling another char is losing time which mean dissrespecting the customers right?

Again, I told you numerous time why I love the death penalty. Without it I would consider playing a waste of time (Like playing D3 softcore). So one way or the other, someone is ''losing it's time''. What do?

It's a game, the whole point is to lose time.
Last edited by KingGloborx on Feb 18, 2013, 11:24:50 AM
Some ideas -

1. They can use something similar to the City of Heroes' experience debt mechanic to functionally have the same thing, without nearly the same amount of feel bad.

2. They could also user a "psuedo-debt" mechanic where experience actually isn't pulled away from gains into debt repayment. Instead, experience is applied to both without division, and instead you would get a %based debuff to item quantity until the debt is payed.

3. No penalties at all in non maps. In maps, dying simply bans you from the map and you cannot reenter. Effectively wasting your map.
This thread is nothing more than people arguing about their opinion on the subject of experience loss on death from the two pages I have looked at, while none of their opinions matter as an individual, only as a whole, to GGG. Instead of arguing with each other, you can try to accept the fact that you are all playing the same game and you all like and dislike different parts of it. It's stupid to argue about.

Anyone saying dying should have no penalty is wrong. What that penalty is, should be based on the time it takes to gain experience and the end game areas. And server quality doesn't help this matter at all currently.

Anyone saying the penalty is good how it is has learned to cope with the loss at a high level, because they are indeed having that much fun with the game. Or they are someone who has not reached a high enough level and think some people are just crying to cry. And some even believe that this is keeping the gaming community elite in whatever way.

Anyone saying the penalty should be higher should check out the hardcore league. If you play exclusively in the hardcore league, why do you care about the default league? I assume you think you will eventually be there instead of making a new hardcore character when you die.

And people INSULTING OTHERS ABOUT DYING seem to think it is always avoidable, when it isn't. They think that the people should learn to change this, that, and everything else wrong. But sometimes there are no things wrong, and no human error involved. But they can't and won't try to accept that because they don't really care about how others feel or their opinion on the issue.

With time spent in a game comes experience. The learning curve for most games is very quick to get high in, and does bring.. experience on how to play. For this game the learning curve doesn't matter as much when it comes to surviving and living. It doesn't matter when something out of your control happens and you die and are left wondering.. "what happened". As long as you put into hp nodes and defensive nodes, some people think that you should be fine, no matter who you are or the situation. That also is not always true.

My personal opinion is that the experience penalty should be done away with, as it is at this moment a very disheartening thing for many players who have reached the very end game and are dying many times with maybe even as much as 30% of their build points (more maybe) defensive based.

I have been at the top of many games. Some with death penalty, some with no real death penalty to take note of. It's all the same to me when it comes at being at the top of a game. I play, I have fun, I start to have less fun, I quit. I can say that on the countless games I have played, the death penalty (and I am being honest here) has never made me quit a game for good. It has made me quit from time to time, or for the day. But never for good.

BUT THIS IS TRUE. I AM QUITTING RIGHT NOW, TODAY. BECAUSE OF LOSING OVER A HALF A LEVEL AT DIFFERENT TIMES DURING THIS LEVEL. Will I be back, I don't know. I care less about games than I used to. Maybe it's one of the reasons I don't feel like putting up with this. I'm not the only person to have lost their love of games but continues playing them.

The experience penalty versus the grind it takes to earn experience has made me quit this game. I have overcome many feelings of wanting to quit but this is not the case today.

Call me a soft core gamer, not a real gamer, or whatever you want. It doesn't matter to me. I am not the first to quit because of this and I will not be the last before whatever GGG wants to set in stone is indeed set in stone. Some are quitting over other reasons. Quitting because of a single part of a game you don't like isn't abnormal, especially when that part is a constant part of your daily game.

This game however was fun while I played it. And I did have fun until about level 73, where experience loss versus experience gained took a ridiculous shift. I made it past 4 levels after that, only to reach level 77 where I have quit.

As I am not one to pass up an argument I do try hard to be polite and civil and think about the other person's side before posting. I'm not smart, I am not better than you, and I do not think my opinion matters more than yours.

Also, my butt hurts.
Last edited by Sizzlebuzz on Feb 18, 2013, 11:48:10 AM
"
And you think: is it really worth my time to play?

No its not, get away

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info