[2.3] Oddopsi's Budget Necromancer. HC/ATZIRI VIABLE! *Working on Essence update*

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfG0T2yEd8

I'm back, ladies and gentlemen!

After having a ton of fun with the occultist build I decided to try something else for the new league we're currently in.

The results speak for themselves as it has cleared
Atziri and everything else that has been thrown at it with a cheaper price tag than before. This time it's not strictly Detonate Dead oriented either! Any fire spell works and I will share my experiences and thoughts with each of the ones I tried further down the guide.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHyfZfm7YA while I finish writing this guide.

BE WARNED! If you've read my previous guide you'll notice a lot has been copied over. This is simply because it's all still relevant even in the new patch. Minor adjustments are being made however and and more will follow as I explore the new uniques, spells, items and enchants.

Lets get started!

Pros
Spoiler
Fun and easy to level and play.

No gem restrictions while doing so.

Low budget build.

Hardcore viable.

Atziri viable.

Reflect immune. *Detonate Dead*

Lots of customization options!

Only one unique is mandatory.

Solid damage mitigation from Curses/Auras/Bone Offering and CWDT setup.

Clears maps fast and easy as long as you aren't reckless.

Cons
Spoiler
Curse immune monsters/maps can be a pain.

You may need an Unset Ring for the extra socket.

"No regen" maps slow you down.

Detonate Dead needs a high level Desecrate. *If you choose this path*

Desecrate charges are a pain some times. *If Detonate Dead was picked*

"Immune to Ignite" can be very annoying to deal with.

Spoiler

The Core
Spoiler
When I first saw the necromancer changes I couldn't stop smiling. So much has been buffed that I didn't have to make a minion build. My focus was entirely on these three passives and one unique:

Mistress Of Sacrifice.
Spirit Eater.
Commander Of Darkness.

Stone of Lazhwar

Grab the passives in the order shown above.

Having Bone Offering permanently active as an aggressive caster is just way too good to pass on. Without using a Rumi's Concoction i'm currently sitting at 68% Block and 68% Spell Block while running mostly the same survival setup as the Occultist build.

On top of that Spirit Eater also grants us +2 Desecrate corpses and 40% Increased Damage while we use Bone Offering. Commander Of Darkness is also treated as a permanent buff due to the appropriately leveled Clarity we use to keep our mana healthy.

Overall the necromancer is far superior in both offense and defense than my previous builds.

Playstyle
Spoiler

This version of the build utilizes Elemental Equilibrium along with Elemental Overload which are both triggered by Ice Spear and Tempest Shield. Hit a pack or boss with Ice Spear and their fire resist will be completely obliterated. If Tempest Shield hits them as well then throw another spell at them and it's game over. They will have such low fire resist that even bosses will burn to death rapidly.

Elemental Overload is applied thanks to Ice Spear and its ridiculously high crit chance. With my current setup it has an average 20% chance to crit without adding the 600% increased chance on secondary targets. You will have 40% MORE damage for 90% of the time.

Another amazing buff is Rallying Cry. Not only does it increase our mana regen but it also increases our damage by roughly 60%. The more targets you taunt the higher it gets however.

Here's a TL;DR version of my normal rotation.

Desecrate>Bone Offering>Desecrate>Your spell>Ice Spear>Your spell.

Desecrate when required and always keep Bone Offering up. It's very important!

You alternate between Ice Spear and your main attack simply due to Elemental Equilibrium. You don't have to but it maximizes your damage output. If you don't want Elemental Equilibrium in your build then simply remove it. It's not the end of the world.

These are the skills i've tried so far:

Firestorm
Flameblast
Vortex
Detonate Dead

Because this build has more of a "Have it your way™" approach the playstyle will vary depending on what fire spell you decide to use. For me it's Detonate Dead so it remains the same as previously.

Use Desecrate near the enemies and simply blow them up.

If you decide on
Flameblast things are a bit simpler. Just point and click.

If you choose Firestorm then you'll have to remove the Increased AOE nodes in the skill tree then simply point and click.

Fire Vortex is also a popular setup in prophecy and works really well. However it requires a Pyre ring.

Keep in mind that any other fire spell can potentially kill you due to reflect.

The build utilizes two blasphemy auras so I don't have to worry about cursing myself. Flammability and Enfeeble are the main ones I use. Other choices are Elemental Weakness and Temporal Chains. How you mix and match them is up to you.

The Numbers
Spoiler
The following stats are from my current skill tree and are subject to change.
Gear and jewels are not included.

198% Maximum Life.
52% Maximum Mana.
22% Maximum Energy Shield.
95% Mana Regen.
35% Increased AOE.
38% Elemental Damage.
55% Increased Fire Damage.
45% Increased Spell Damage.
15% Reduced Mana Cost.
50% Increased AOE Damage.
20% Light Radius.
1.8% Life Regen per Second.
14% Reduced Mana Reserve.
13% Increased Effect of Non-Curse Auras you Cast.
15% Increased Curse Duration.
10% Increased Effect of your Curses.
12% Increased Radius of Aura Skills.
55% Chance to Avoid interruption from Stun while Casting.
20% Increased Armour.
17% to all Elemental Resists.
20% Chaos Resist.
22% Increased Cast Speed.
5% Chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite.
5 Life Gained on Kill.
2/5 Jewel Sockets.

Keystone Passives

Elemental Equilibrium:

Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistances
to those Elements and −50% Resistances to other Elements.

Whispers Of Doom:

Enemies can have 1 additional Curse.

Elemental Overload:

40% more Elemental Damage if you've Crit in the past 8 seconds.
No Critical Strike Multiplier.

Necromancer Bonus Passives

30% increased Skill Effect Duration.
Your Offering Skills also affect you.
Desecrate creates 2 additional Corpses.
40% increased Damage if you have consumed a Corpse Recently.
2% increased Attack and Cast Speed for each Corpse consumed Recently.
Auras you Cast grant 10% increased Damage to you and Allies.
Auras you Cast grant 5% increased Attack and Cast Speed to you and Allies.
You and Allies affected by your Auras have +20% to all Elemental Resistances.

The Damage
Spoiler
Detonate Dead deals base Fire Damage equal to 6% of the corpse's Maximum Life. On top of that it also deals 1100-3000 extra Fire Damage depending on the weapons and that doesn't include the Burning Damage or the other gems linked to Detonate Dead.

As there's still no sane way for me to calculate the DPS, i've simply copypasted this bit from my previous build. "The stronger the monster, the stronger the corpse, the stronger the blast." That's all we need to know.

Flameblast does a lot of damage. Way too much damage. It was too risky for me personally to play with it. For softcore sure no problem if you feel suicidal. The damage scales with a lot of stuff. The longer you hold it the bigger/more damage it deals.

Firestorm is my favorite out of the bunch because it deals a lot of smaller hits rapidly. However it doesn't work well with increased AOE as the projectiles won't land close enough to each other. If you want to use Firestorm then ditch all the Increased AOE nodes and use Belly of the Beast or any other chest piece of your choice. *Firestorm is also very taxing on older computers*

Vortex I haven't used too much. Just copy any of the popular meta setups for it and use it as you please. Requires a pyre Ring so keep that in mind. Does a lot of damage.

Like I mentioned earlier in the guide, it's a pretty open ended build. Pick your spell and roll with it. The core stays mostly the same.

Here are some of the main buffs we've gained:

40% More damage from Elemental Overload.
??? From Elemental Equilibrium due to the nasty fire resist debuff.
16-60% Average Increased Damage From Rallying Cry.
40% increased Damage if you have consumed a Corpse Recently. * Lasts 5 seconds*
2% increased Attack and Cast Speed for each Corpse consumed Recently. *Lasts 5 seconds*
Auras you Cast grant 10% increased Damage to you and Allies.
Auras you Cast grant 5% increased Attack and Cast Speed to you and Allies.

Molten Shell deals anything between 6000-15000 average Fire Damage each time it triggers. It can proc a very nasty burn on packs and bosses even without any links.

Tempest Shield doesn't deal much damage but it will apply Elemental Equilibrium to the targets efficiently due to our high Block and Spell Block.

Ice Spear does hardly any damage just like Tempest Shield. It only serves to apply Elemental Equilibrium and proc Elemental Overload because its second form has 600% increased Critical Strike Chance.

Vaal Molten Shell hasn't been tested yet as i've had no reason to.

Vaal Detonate Dead hasn't been tested yet as i've had no reason to.

Use Fire Golem for DPS. You're free to use whichever you want however as i'm not using one currently.

The Defense
Spoiler
This is what keeps me alive.

3 Endurance Charges = 12% physical damage reduction. *Optional*

Arctic Armour = 13% less physical/Fire Damage taken.

Molten Shell = Adds up to 943 extra Armour during its duration. Doubled during flask effect.

Immortal Call = Immune to physical damage for about two seconds. It has a one second downtime.

Bone Offering = 35% Block chance and 34% Spell Block chance.
*Can easily reach 70% Block and 70% Spell Block with a good shield*

Enfeeble = Monsters deal 30% less damage to you along with less accuracy, critical chance/damage.

Chaos Golem = 4% additional physical damage reduction. *Optional*

Your flasks and default Armour/Evasion/Resists fill in the gaps.

What can/will kill you.

Either you get caught by a boss with a very heavy hand, such as Atziri, map dominus, Izaro, endgame map bosses etc and simply take it rather than move away. *It's a tanky build but everything has its limits* Evade whenever possible!

Be very careful around Chaos damage, Bleed, Burning, Poison and always carry the appropriate flasks when mapping.

Don't open chests without identifying them first unless you want a freak accident involving something like
Detonate Dead. It will ruin your day in Hardcore. Keep an eye on your positioning and flask chargers. You have very little life regen. So keep kiting when required. Latency and connection issues can mess anyone up so those don't really count as "human errors". Bad FPS can/will get you killed.

Auras, Curses and You
Spoiler
Along with the standard Cast when damage taken - Increased duration - Immortal Call - Molten Shell setup we can mix and match our curses and auras as we see fit.

I personally run with
Blasphemy - Enfeeble + Flammability - Arctic Armour and Clarity.

If you feel confident in your survivability you can always switch Enfeeble for Elemental Weakness for even more damage. Don't forget to level a Temporal Chains for those extra hard maps or for party play.

Necromancers are also blessed with Bone Offering which in my case gives me 68% Block and 68% Spell Block as another layer of defense.

For more information on curses click the link below.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Curse

Stat Priorities
Spoiler
1. Maximum Life.
2. Elemental Resists. 75% is the default cap you want in merciless. Don't worry about having a bit of overcap. It's good vs monsters that tend to curse.
3. Armour or evasion depending on your preference.
4. If you can get chaos resist without sacrificing any of the above stats then go for it.

My Current Gear
Spoiler

My Current Stats
Spoiler

Carcass Jack vs The Belly of the Beast
Spoiler
It all comes down to offence vs defence.
Carcass Jack gives more damage and increased AOE while The Belly of the Beast will net you anything between 300-600 more Maximum Life, armour, 5% Elemental Resists and 50% Increased Flask Life recovery rate.

There are more options avaible in patch 2.3 which I'll add here once i've tested them properly

Spoiler

Gem Setup
Spoiler
These are my current gem setups:

-----------------------------------------Chest Armour-----------------------------------------

Order of priority: Detonate Dead - Concentrated Effect - Fire Penetration - Chance to Ignite - Increased Burning Damage - Rapid Decay. Use Life Leech as your 5th or 6th link if you have trouble surviving for some reason.

---------------------------------------------Boots--------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Cast When Damage Taken - Increased Duration - Immortal Call - Molten Shell.

--------------------------------------------Gloves--------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Blasphemy - Flammability - Enfeeble - Arctic Armour. The Blasphemy Curses aren't set in stone. You can mix and match as you see fit.

--------------------------------------------Helmet--------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Flame Dash - Ice Spear - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Increased Critical Strikes.

---------------------------------------Weapons & Shield---------------------------------------

Order of priority: Desecrate - Rallying Cry - Tempest Shield.

Order of priority: Bone Offering - Increased Duration - Faster Casting. You can put something else instead of Faster Casting. It's up to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can choose what 4 link goes where obviously. Just took my own gear and preference as an example.

Alternative Gem Setups
Spoiler

------------------------------------------Flameblast------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Flameblast - Concentrated Effect - Controlled Destruction - Chance to Ignite - Increased Burning Damage - Fire Penetration.

--------------------------------------------Vortex--------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Vortex - Concentrated Effect - Controlled Destruction - Chance to Ignite - Rapid Decay - Increased Burning Damage.

------------------------------------------Firestorm-------------------------------------------

Order of priority: Firestorm - Spell Echo - Concentrated Effect - Elemental Focus - Controlled Destruction - Fire Penetration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information on links and trigger gem order click the link below.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_socket

Jewels
Spoiler
You mainly want Maximum life + Fire damage followed by increased damage/Area damage.

Reduced Mana Cost of Skills/Increased Mana Regeneration Rate and Elemental Resists are good secondary stats for compensating your gear/passives.

Avoid Spell Damage as it does nothing for you.
*Warning only applies to
Detonate Dead users*

Flasks and You
Spoiler
Here's a list of the flask mods you want to use. How you mix them is up to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My personal preferences

Seething Divine Flask of Staunching
Panicked
Hallowed Flask of Heat
Panicked
Hallowed Flask of Warding
Chemist's
Granite Flask of Iron Skin
Perpetual
Granite Flask of Iron Skin
Bubbling
Eternal Mana Flask of Adrenaline/Heat
Bubbling
Divinie Mana Flask of Adrenaline/Heat
Perpetual
Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline
Chemist's
Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline
Atziri's Promise
Rumi's Concotion

Life Flasks

Prefixes

Seething = 66% reduced Amount Recovered + Instant Recovery.
Panicked = 25% reduced Amount Recovered + Instant Recovery when on Low Life.
Perpetual = (20 to 40)% increased Charge Recovery. (Apply to utility flask)
Chemist's = (20 to 25)% reduced Charges used. (Apply to utility flask)

Suffixes

Of Staunching = Immunity to Bleeding during Flask effect + Removes Bleeding on use.
Of Heat = Immunity to Freeze And Chill during Flask effect + Removes Freeze And Chill.
Of Warding = Immunity to Curses during Flask effect + Removes Curses on use.
My current flasks

Mana Flasks

Prefixes

Bubbling = 50% reduced Amount Recovered + 135% increased Recovery Speed + 50% of Recovery applied Instantly.

Suffixes

Of Staunching = Immunity to Bleeding during Flask effect + Removes Bleeding on use.
Of Heat = Immunity to Freeze And Chill during Flask effect + Removes Freeze And Chill.
Of Warding = Immunity to Curse during Flask effect + Removes Curses on use.

Utility Flasks

Prefixes

Perpetual = (20 to 40)% increased Charge Recovery. (Apply to utility flask)
Chemist's = (20 to 25)% reduced Charges used. (Apply to utility flask)

Suffixes

Of Iron Skin = (60 to 100)% increased Armour during Flask effect.
Of Reflexes = (60 to 100)% increased
Evasion Rating during Flask effect.
Of Adrenaline = (20 to 30)% increased Movement Speed during Flask effect.

Flasks you should avoid

Prefixes

Sapping = 40% increased Life Recovered + Removes 10% of Life Recovered from Mana when used.
Caustic = 60% increased
Mana Recovered + Removes 15% of Mana Recovered from Life when used.
Surgeon's = 20% chance to gain a Flask Charge when you deal a Critical Strike.
Avenger's = Recharges 3 Charges when you take a Critical Strike.

Suffixes

of Fending = Adds Knockback to Melee Attacks during Flask effect.
of Animation = Grants (40 to 60)% of
Life Recovery to Minions.
of Craving = 0.4% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana during Flask effect.
of Gluttony = 0.4% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life during Flask effect.

You do NOT want to use Sapping or Caustic flasks under any circumstances. They might seem good but the drain will mess you up most of the time. Anything that makes your Mana/Life regen worse is a bad idea.

Flasks that are situational

You use these depending on the map/mods you're up against. Extra Magic Find isn't bad either.

For more information on flasks:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Flask#Life_flasks

Enchantments
Spoiler
The Ascendancy patch introduced a new set of mods that can be obtained through the labyrinth that are worth farming. I have yet to get any of the ones I want but i'll share my thoughts on which ones are good to get and why.

Helmet:
25/40% increased Detonate Dead Damage.
Detonate Dead has a 30/45% chance to detonate an additional Corpse.
Desecrate Creates 2-3 Corpses. (I'm guessing it means additional corpses)
20/30% increased Desecrate Cooldown Recovery Speed.
20/30% increased Enfeeble Curse Effect.
20/30% increased Flammability Curse Effect.
24/36% increased Arctic Armour Buff Effect.
20/30% reduced Arctic Armour Mana Reservation.

These are all good choices.
With additional
Desecrate corpses i'd run Vaal Detonate Dead instead of Vaal Molten Shell.
25/40% increased Detonate Dead damage speaks for itself.
Enfeeble/Flammability Curse Effects would be great for fights such as Atziri where manual Curses get reflected.
Arctic Armour Buff Effect = Less damage taken while Reservation = One more Aura.

According to the Wiki there are two or three of these skill-specific stats for every player skill, amounting to over 300 in total. Meaning if you get one of the stats on this list, keep it.

Gloves:
Cast Word/Edict/Decree of Flames on Hit.
Cast Word/Edict/Decree of Inferno on kill.

Flames is an AOE nova while Inferno is a single target skill that leaves Burning ground behind. Both scale well with our damage.

Boots:
6/8/10% increased Movement Speed if you haven't been Hit Recently.
Adds 16-24/33-55/45-68 Fire Damage if you've Killed Recently.
Regenerate 1/1.5/2.0% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently.
0.4/0.5/0.6% of Damage Leeched as Life and Mana if you've Killed Recently.
Damage Penetrates 6/8/10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances if you haven't Killed Recently.
6/8/10% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite if you haven't Crit Recently.

Out of the boot enchants I think the Elemental Penetration will be the best followed by the Life/Mana Regeneration ones.

HEADS UP!

The endgame/Prophecy Enchants seem to simply be stronger versions of what i've already mentioned. So don't worry about it.

For more information on enchantments:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Enchantment

Spoiler

How I Leveled Up
Spoiler
The beauty here is that you can use whatever you want. Personally I used a combination of Fire Trap and Freeze Pulse until I got Firestorm which I used until I got my hands on Bladefall. After that I tried a few different things such as Flameblast and Vortex etc until I settled on Detonate Dead.

Skill Tree Progression

Bandit Quest Rewards
Spoiler
Normal - Oak for the +40 Maximum Life.
Cruel - Kill all for the +1 skill point.
Merciless - Oak for the +1 Endurance Charge or kill all for the +1 skill points.

Good Leveling Uniques.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Atziri and You
Spoiler
There are multiple ways to tackle Double Vaal, Trio and Atziri. However this is how I usually kill each of them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Double Vaal

Method One:

This is a straight forward fight. Bring a Topaz flask and a Sapphire Flask of Heat to get rid of their chill in case of emergency and simply take down both bosses at the same time. You lower the risk of dying by making sure they don't enrage.
*When one dies the other enrages*

You can either clear the adds to refill your flasks or leave them alive so they can heal you through Bone Offering.

Method Two:

Stand in everything except for his big smash if you feel lucky and let everything heal you through Bone Offering while you just focus on DPSing.
Trio

Method One:

For Trio you'll need a staunching flask to remove bleeds. A Granite Flask is very good here as well as they all deal physical damage.
Start by killing A'alai. *The needler*
She should die in about 2-4
Detonate Dead. Make sure to avoid the black areas on the ground and her AOE she leaves behind *Rain of Arrows* as it does a lot of damage.

Next you go for Y'ara'az. *Basically just chases you around and does dual strike*

Kill Q'ura *the cycloner* last.

Always be on the move!

This is the easiest way to deal with them. Keep clearing trash monsters throughout the fight to recharge your flasks or simply stand in a corner and let them heal you through Bone Offering. Only remove the bleed once Bone Offering can't keep up anymore.

Always be on the move!

Method Two:

Kill The first two as normal then stand in a corner and just DPS the last guy while the adds heal you through Bone Offering. Remove the bleed when they can't keep up. Avoid black areas if possible.
Atziri

The one safe Method:

For this fight you have a few options.
First I strongly recommend
Rise of the Phoenix for the extra maximum resist along with a Ruby Flask. A Topaz Flask is good to have as well in case you get hit by her lightning storm. You'll also want a staunching flask on one of your life flasks to counter her bleed.

Always be on the move to avoid her flameblasts.
*Both the small ones and the huge double cast ones*

Use
Flame Dash instead of Lightning Warp to move out of the way as it is faster and safer.

Because she is immune to
Ignite I recommend switching out Chance to Ignite for Elemental Focus and Increased Burning Damage for either Empower or Life Leech.
Keep in mind that during her split face some of them can be ignited.

The Not-So-Safe Method:

Skip Ruby and Topaz Flasks and Rise of the Phoenix. Focus instead of DPS flasks such as Atziri's Promise and Sulphur Flasks.

Izaro and You
Spoiler
There are a few simple rules to follow when it comes to Izaro and the Labyrinth.

1. Do not fight Argus as Detonate Dead or anything that relies on burning damage.
2. Do not let Izaro stack orbs to the point where he takes no damage.
3. Do not face tank him if your Bone Offering has run out. He can easily ruin your day.
4. Take you time. If you keep Bone Offering up and mind your positioning around the traps he'll be ridiculously easy.

Personally I always make sure to go for the fastest clear. No extra keys or anything. When he spawns adds/Portals and other crap I just kill them immediately. Only the enchants matter to me.

Mapping
Spoiler
Coming soon.

Videos
Spoiler
First Atziri run this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4fp77NoVc

More coming soon.

Alternative Weapons and Gem Setups.
Spoiler
Coming soon.

Path of Exile Wiki Links

That's all for now!
I Will be constantly updating the guide so keep that in mind and check back often.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave a message here or in my inbox.
*Or ask me ingame when i'm online*

Hope you all have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Filthy self promotion below. <3

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuwHsI44A7YmEpkPOY2VCYA
Last edited by Gamlos2 on Sep 5, 2016, 6:36:46 AM
Last bumped on Oct 18, 2016, 2:23:25 AM
So much color coding left to do but at least the "core" is mainly done. Give me all feedback possible for the build and thread alike.
Never thought i'd do this without flasking like a maniac or just straight up dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyQTPS2L0c

Life is good. <3
All the major things are completed now.

Minor details left but that's what questions are for!

Don't hesitate to ask stuff. :D
Too bad. I saw your Occultist first(then noticed the Necromancer option and vods later), although hadn't done labs yet. Didn't see this thread, and posted on your vod.

To make matters even weirder I went for Elementalist, while still keeping your Occultist build, or perhaps your Necromancer, I think. Currently lvl 47.

Sucks because I had two obliterators, which was why I started this char.

How does this Necromancer build hold up to the Occultist? I understand that defensively it is better, but how is damage/clear speed/fun factor?
Last edited by Dracolich70 on Jul 1, 2016, 6:07:35 PM
"
Dracolich70 wrote:
Too bad. I saw your Occultist first(then noticed the Necromancer option and vods later), although hadn't done labs yet. Didn't see this thread, and posted on your vod.

To make matters even weirder I went for Elementalist, while still keeping your Occultist build, or perhaps your Necromancer, I think. Currently lvl 47.

Sucks because I had two obliterators, which was why I started this char.

How does this Necromancer build hold up to the Occultist? I understand that defensively it is better, but how is damage/clear speed/fun factor?

Yeah sorry about that haha. Whenever I bump one thread I bump all of them.

As for Necromancer vs Occultist... You're losing out on the Trash clear simple because of how strong profane bloom is.

*Cursed Enemies you Kill have a 20% chance to Explode, dealing a quarter of their maximum Life as Chaos Damage Enemies you Curse take 10% increased Damage*

so with a obliteration wand that's a 40% chance which completely shreks packs *and rares/bosses that stand close to said pack*

However after playing both i'd say overall I prefer my necromancer because of how tanky it is. Single target wise it's almost twice as strong as my occultist and it turned out to be cheaper too.

So far this is my verdic:

Necromancer is stronger solo target while Occultist beats it in packs due to chain explosions.

Occultist is slightly faster on trash but slower on bosses.

Necromancer is tankier than Occultist which makes it safer in all regards.

Fun factor comes down to if you like laughing at bosses trying to kill you but instead end up healing you.

Or you like watching a whole screen explode because you killed one enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyQTPS2L0c is a good example of what I mean by tanky.

TL;DR: I prefer the necromancer. Stronger, tankier, cheaper.
Last edited by Gamlos2 on Jul 4, 2016, 7:36:29 PM
I'm back!

Here's a quick rundown on what's been going on along with a special announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfG0T2yEd8
Looking forward to it.
I am currently playing this build in the essence league and I am not really satisifed.
Necromancer seems like an interesting choice, but the problem is that there is no use for the ascencandy points! 2 points are necessary for Mistress of Sacrifice. 2 could be used for Spirit Eater? But where would you spend the other 4 points?
Also, the killspeed with a 4L was really disappointing. A simple Firestorm spam is at least double as fast and effective. Gonna try some stuff when i reach Dried Lake in merc, found a Tabula earlier. (Got some ideas with traps and Sunblast)
Last edited by jomtoy on Sep 5, 2016, 10:14:28 AM
"
jomtoy wrote:
Looking forward to it.
I am currently playing this build in the essence league and I am not really satisifed.
Necromancer seems like an interesting choice, but the problem is that there is no use for the ascencandy points! 2 points are necessary for Mistress of Sacrifice. 2 could be used for Spirit Eater? But where would you spend the other 4 points?
Also, the killspeed with a 4L was really disappointing. A simple Firestorm spam is at least double as fast and effective. Gonna try some stuff when i reach Dried Lake in merc, found a Tabula earlier. (Got some ideas with traps and Sunblast)

2 points for Mistress of sacrifice.

2 points for Spirit eater.

2 points for Commander of darkness.

2 points for Beacon of corruption.

This is also the recommended order by the way.

4L is workable but you'll want at least a 5L for things to start shining. Unlike my Occultist build this one can use any fire skill *or vortex* although I don't recommend running firestorm with the increased AOE nodes as it will actually lower the overall DPS. If you're on a 4L I generally recommend fireblast because of how high the dmg is.

Detonate dead scales with the level of the enemies *the higher they are the more dmg you'll do* so if you're going with that skill I suggest using it after you reach merciless and not before.
Tried some Dried Lake in merciless today with a 6L. The damage from detonate dead is bad and the killspeed is abysmal. Even with increased AoE instead of rapid decay. Did not get the ascendancy points so far, but a 6L should be capable of killing the trash mobs easily. It was really disappointing. Do you really clear maps with detonate dead? It must take you ages just to clear one.

edit:
Tried Vortex with crappy gems i bought from the vendors. Its 10x better. I am actually able to kill stuff! Not exactly what i wanted to play though...
Last edited by jomtoy on Sep 6, 2016, 6:05:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info