Vortex

Can we have the name of this Gem changed to something more suitable? I feel like I'm not the only one who goes to look up something for this skill only to be lead to BV (Blade Vortex) threads or google hits. The skill is brand new yes, but there is massive hype around it and I'd like to see what other people are doing with their builds easier.
I realize that the name "Cyclone' is taken, "Whirlpool" sounds too fruity, maybe even a spelling adjustment to specify Vortex from Blade vortex.
Maelstrom would be cool imo.
Thanks.
"
pandasplaying wrote:
please make vortex cast at frostbolt's location even after a player has moved.

You need to aim at the Frostbolts you want to have explode.
"
LuckyBoii wrote:
Can we have the name of this Gem changed to something more suitable? I feel like I'm not the only one who goes to look up something for this skill only to be lead to BV (Blade Vortex) threads or google hits. The skill is brand new yes, but there is massive hype around it and I'd like to see what other people are doing with their builds easier.
I realize that the name "Cyclone' is taken, "Whirlpool" sounds too fruity, maybe even a spelling adjustment to specify Vortex from Blade vortex.
Maelstrom would be cool imo.
Thanks.

I agree with you think same .

I suggest "Ice Vortex" or "Frost Vortex" / "Water Vortex" / "Cold Vortex"
does vortex proc EE? If so, I may have a build idea.
"

Yes Vortex proc Elemental Equilibrium, test in map with this mod, so you need another attack/spell which hit in fire/light

Also Vortex hit could use EE, but put cold resistance for Dot maybe , as i use also curses elemental weakness and frosbite it is difficult to see impact of EE and mobs dye too quickly ...
Does anyone know the radius or have a good guess?
Gravity is just a prejudice. A part of Earth's jurisdiction. As an apache helicopter, I find that very oppressive.
"
Arialia wrote:
"

Yes Vortex proc Elemental Equilibrium, test in map with this mod, so you need another attack/spell which hit in fire/light

Also Vortex hit could use EE, but put cold resistance for Dot maybe , as i use also curses elemental weakness and frosbite it is difficult to see impact of EE and mobs dye too quickly ...

If you convert to fire you will get two elements in one as the DoT does not convert,not sure if it can be taken advantage of though as the DoT and flat damage might be classed as hitting together plus it might not be allowed within one attack/skill.

The Pyre unique ring works amazingly well with Vortex and EE. 100% of cold damage converts to fire which only affects the AOE hit of the skill, the cold degen is unaffected and stays cold damage. So with EE the AOE hit will reduce the resistance to cold which will make them die faster in the cold degen ground effect.

I am using a variant of ZiggyD's elementalist vortex build using Pyre and EE focusing entirely on buffing the cold degen. Since the AOE hit is entirely fire damage it has an excellent chance to ignite - another source of DOT damage.

Here are the links I am using right now:
Vortex - Controlled Destruction - Rapid Decay - Faster Casting - Concentrated Effect - Hypothermia

I am considering dropping Faster Casting in favor of Empower if I can get a hold of a decent one and if testing shows I can live with lower cast speed - I'm not exactly spamming the skill so I may be able to do with lower cast speed. All the other gems provide a "more" damage bonus that effects the cold degen. The Hypothermia gem does not get added into the vortex tooltip DPS, but any enemy in the degen is automatically chilled.
Hypothermia won't work since the degeneration is not a 'hit'.
It will only work if you manage to chill with the initial hit, which won't happen since you are using Pyre (unless you have Elemental Conflux active)

There are basically 2 uses for the degeneration to work :
* Stacking cold damage and no EE. Elemental Focus is pretty good in this case.
* Converting cold damage to fire through Pyre ring. Allows double dipping on the ignite and the use of EE. Doesn't work against Argus/Atziri and the like though due to their status ailment immunties.

Vortex is decent overall, not tuned yet for PvP. Its interaction with Frostbolt is a bit lackluster without cast/projectile speed though.
Unlike Essence Drain, there's no broken double dipping (apart from ignite, which is affected by resistances and nearly requires Shaper of Desolation, which simply has no effect against some of the tougher foes)
Would Hypothermia work on a second cast of vortex if the enemy is still standing in the cold degen from the first cast and is chilled from that? I realize that is not optimal, I'm just curious if that would work.

Looks like I should swap Hypothermia for something else in my setup, would Empower be the best choice? I'd rather not lose my chance to ignite by using Elemental Focus.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info