1H Sword/Shield Reave Build

"
Deadpeng wrote:
As you can see, I left out a lot of unused passives so that you can complete your build at a low level. For the remaining nodes, just grab all the remaining bonus life passives around the tree.

I see that you still have a lot to learn about this game. My exams will end on 9th May, I will contact you in game then to guide you more.

32% Aegis, 3% Tempest Shield, 12% Ascendancy, 22% skilltree, 6% BoR = 75% no need to get more than 28 at most considering I won't use BoR (I plan to use) No point getting more block from Ascendancy either, 10% hp explosions(very good) or free Frenzy charges(I can keep endurance with other stuff as you've said) are better to get, the other shield node needs you to get hit many times too, while my skill allotment is lackluster these are the things I can say, which should improve the build, also with the many accuracy% stuff taken from the tree, and multistrike(I'll miss one of three at most) I dont' think giving up the crit dps boost on bosses is worth it, I don't know though, I'm low level and you might need a lot more than I think.

I do have a lot to learn, but I'm sure as hell I know everything written in guides, since I like reading them, you seem to be a kind person, thanks for the help, oh btw, I didn't check the tree yet(mobile) so you might've already covered the stuff I said :)

Edit:Checked it, generally a lot better than me, but since shield will be a huge chunk of our armor I'd rather get shield armor nodes too, also, way, way too little hp, only 133, while I think it might be worthwile to invest in scion life wheel you can instead change pathing and get thick skin maybe etc, and onr major waste of skill points too much block, your tree has 31% from tree and 14% from ascendancy, resulting in 45%, add in aurora, 77%(over the cap already) and tempest shield for 3% =80%, if I add in BoR, 86% well over the top, and people said me dont take 15% elementals, you can cap it easily anyway, thanks a lot again.
I'm a duck, Imma quack, I suck
Last edited by Darestine on May 2, 2016, 7:47:34 PM
I dont' think giving up the crit dps boost on bosses is worth it

Dude, let us do the math...
With resolute technique 100% damage output as no hits are missed.

100%

Without resolute technique, the base critical strike damage in this game is only 150% while your weapon has only 7.5% base critical strike chance. With say about 5 increased accuracy nodes (which is a lot...) Your hit chance against level 75 monsters is about 80%.

80%*(100-7.5)%+80%*7.5%*150%=83%

83%

You probably heard from someone else that critical strike chance is very strong in this game. Yes, that is true! Provided you invest a lot in critical strike chance and multiplier, but that would no longer be a maximum block chance build. Your weapon's critical strike chance is a little bit too low for that to work...if you really want a critical strike build I can build that for you as well. There are pros and cons for both max block and max crit. So choose carefully.

32% Aegis, 3% Tempest Shield, 12% Ascendancy, 22% skilltree, 6% BoR = 75%
That is assuming you are using a Bringer of Rain, initially you were talking to us about Abyssus. Max block is 78%, not 75% since you are using the Anvil.

dont take 15% elementals, you can cap it easily If you are wearing a BOR, you do not have armor chests and helmets that normally have triple resistances. You will struggle hard to get jewellry like this for your resistance.

multistrike(I'll miss one of three at most)
Multistrike does not work that way...
Multistrike has all 3 attacks executed as a single game command. Either all 3 hit or all 3 miss. Once you miss a single attack, the little mana pool that remains after the rest of your mana being reserved for auras will cause the next attack to have insufficient mana. Which means that not using resolute technique will cause you to lose even more damage than you think.

but I'm sure as hell I know everything written in guides, since I like reading them

Lastly, I shall address this statement. I used to think that way too. 'As long as guides teach me something awesome, it works for me.'

Poe is a difficult game because every build works only for the kind of gears the user has. Your Courtesian sword has really awesome base damage but average critical strike chance. For every single build guide you read, I want you to check the kind of gears they use. Sometimes their weapon base critical strike chance is 8.2%, sometimes one of their jewellry adds 300 base accuracy rating. All of these factors will mean whether their builds work for someone else or not.

The reason I recommend this build to you is because you wanted a one handed build and the only valuable gear you have is that sword. If your gears are even slightly different, I would have recommended something more like what you wish for.

You can try going for copying from build guides first. Then realize why some builds simply do not work unless you have the right gears.

I learnt all these the hard way myself over my past few years of POE.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
but I'm sure as hell I know everything written in guides, since I like reading them

Lastly, I shall address this statement. I used to think that way too. 'As long as guides teach me something awesome, it works for me.'

Poe is a difficult game because every build works only for the kind of gears the user has. Your Courtesian sword has really awesome base damage but average critical strike chance. For every single build guide you read, I want you to check the kind of gears they use. Sometimes their weapon base critical strike chance is 8.2%, sometimes one of their jewellry adds 300 base accuracy rating. All of these factors will mean whether their builds work for someone else or not.

The reason I recommend this build to you is because you wanted a one handed build and the only valuable gear you have is that sword. If your gears are even slightly different, I would have recommended something more like what you wish for.

You can try going for copying from build guides first. Then realize why some builds simply do not work unless you have the right gears.

I learnt all these the hard way myself over my past few years of POE.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say I know everyting, just that I know everything written in guides, which is still way too cocky and incorrect, just wanted to say I'm not your average I play the game but I have no idea how it works dude.

Your argument about crit is correct, while we have more accuracy than you think, it's still not enough if accuracy scales that hard, I expected somewhere along the lines of 95% chance to hit, also I took a guess, we had to pick some crit nodes along the way to sword notables, but seems like not, also I'm still very, very lacking in health with that build as I've heard, 133% is not even ok for casters, maybe you're thinking aegis=no need for hp? Is that hp enough if Aurora fails me, I fuck up or something goes down for another reason? I'm not thinking about using the Anvil, 75% is good, and I think I should get a rare/unique with more hard stats(res, hp) because I won't be able to make up for them in my other slots, if I use BoR, I will need 9% less block than I currently have, but I don't see a valid place to remove them from, so I'll not use BoR and instead I'll take out the Ele Res. Node and one of the block chance nodes in the bottom of the tree, I'll take increased armor from shield node instead, I'll take every 1/2node jewels too, leaves me with 3/4 jewels, thanks for the Multistrike information, I knew it was 1 command but I thought each hit got it's own crit/miss calc.

I know you don't like the Scion life wheel but it's so easy to reach for us, why not take it, just 2 pathing nodes and that will actually give us more sp, because the lower pathing to marauder is actually longer, unless the "Enemies can't leech life from you" is an important notable, I don't see the reason.

Oh btw I have a unq. helm which gives % increase to main stats, can't remember the name but you probably know it? What do you think about that, and I know I'll need better gear but I'll probably pick stuff on my way to higher levels(38 atm)

Edit: Do I need US? Will I get stunned often with this many blocks and tons of armor? Shouldn't I take IR if I'm going to take it? Am I annoying you with all the questions?
Last edited by Darestine on May 3, 2016, 3:14:23 AM
I expected somewhere along the lines of 95% chance to hit
Lol if you want 95% accuracy you better buy the most expensive ring and dagger in this game. They add about 500 base accuracy but can cost you a few hundred Exalts. Resolute technique, as most people put it, is also a poor man choice. Though critical strike builds are becoming more and more cheaper.

133% is not even ok for casters
For some reason my Gladiator still has 5.5K hp. As I told you before, I used this build for freaking one year plus. If it works, then it works.

You are right about low HP being dangerous, but this build is not...I did not die for my entire level 93 to 94 journey.

I know you don't like the Scion life wheel but it's so easy to reach for us

Let us do the math again, I have not grabbed the 4%HP nodes at the Marauder starting area as well as the Ranger starting area. Calculate the total hp gained and divide by the total number of skill points used, take note that for the Scion version you have to calculate the strength nodes you used to travel all the way there as well. The Scion version does grant more HP, but at the cost of more passives used.

Do I need US?
Every block in this game is counted as a stun-Unwavering stance is therefore designed just for blockers. In addition, you do not have much evasion anyway...

I have a unq. helm which gives % increase to main stats
That one is quite useless. Just run Bringer of Rain if you are a poor player, saves you the block nodes as well. Non-BOR max block is for richer players who have 6links like this one

Overall, I see that you are much more defensive than other new players I have guided before. Asking questions is a good thing, but you seem more towards the disbelief type...

The game mechanics in this game is too complicated for anyone of us, even if say IQ 160+, to understand completely at once. Some people say noobs should try out by themselves and learn from their own mistakes, some people say noobs should just copy stuff from experts so that they do not struggle at the start.

Most of the points you presented, were things we also believed in when this game just started 4 years ago. Gradually, we begin to realize this game can only be learnt from experience.

Overall, you have only three points you presented that most of us here would find agreeable.

-Scion life wheel, if you do not mind investing more points for more HP, go for it.

-BOR or normal armor setup-Both have their pros and cons; but maximum block is a must, every 1% block counts.

-Frenzy charges-Frenzy charges are quite average at the moment; but since you want to get Scion life wheel so badly, you have to give up plenty of important nodes to get the entire Scion wheel.

The rest of the opinions you raised, like removing Anvil, going for bonus shield defenses and going for critical strike without having a proper critical strike weapon...can make this build completely unusable. Which is why a lot of new players quit this game, because just one slight adjustment is enough to kill a build.

"
Deadpeng wrote:
Overall, I see that you are much more defensive than other new players I have guided before. Asking questions is a good thing, but you seem more towards the disbelief type...

The game mechanics in this game is too complicated for anyone of us, even if say IQ 160+, to understand completely at once. Some people say noobs should try out by themselves and learn from their own mistakes, some people say noobs should just copy stuff from experts so that they do not struggle at the start.

Most of the points you presented, were things we also believed in when this game just started 4 years ago. Gradually, we begin to realize this game can only be learnt from experience.

Overall, you have only three points you presented that most of us here would find agreeable.

-Scion life wheel, if you do not mind investing more points for more HP, go for it.

-BOR or normal armor setup-Both have their pros and cons; but maximum block is a must, every 1% block counts.

-Frenzy charges-Frenzy charges are quite average at the moment; but since you want to get Scion life wheel so badly, you have to give up plenty of important nodes to get the entire Scion wheel.

The rest of the opinions you raised, like removing Anvil, going for bonus shield defenses and going for critical strike without having a proper critical strike weapon...can make this build completely unusable. Which is why a lot of new players quit this game, because just one slight adjustment is enough to kill a build.

It's not disbelief, I'm just typing the stuff I believe so you can tell your opinion and give a better understanding to me, I don't want that Scion life wheel so bad, it's just that people told me 160% hp was really bad for my build so I thought 133 was low, and Scion seemed like a good solution.

But still, I did say "Is that hp enough if Aurora fails me, I fuck up or something goes down for another reason?", because I don't have first hand experience, so of course it might be ok, I'm not being defensive, I actually accepted a lot of my misconceptions, I thought since my hit rate was above 90%, it would only increase, not decrease. Since now I know that is not correct, I changed my stance on that. I also said I thought we picked at least some crit nodes, but we didn't. Good pathing.

Oh, I mildly remember the blocks are counted as stun thingie, forgot about it, US is a must then(I guess?).

If going to use BoR, what should I remove from the tree, because even if I use anvil, I have 6% extra block(if we consider I take Gratious Violence, if not, 8% more)

Heart of Oak? Defence from Shield? IR? What do you think about those? Aren't Frenzy Charges like 20% more damage?(Just asking, I'd rather get Gratious) Also is Brutal Blade efficient or just picked because it doesn't require pathing, doesn't seem like the best of notables.
US is a must then(I guess?).
You dont have to guess...

Heart of Oak? Defence from Shield? IR?

Heart of Oak is obviously for anti-stun, we already took resolute technique. Also take note that it takes two skill points to get Heart of Oak due to pathing.

The defences from your shield, which is Aegis Aurora, has really low stats. Not to mention that armor is useless in this game. To understand why armor is useless in this game there are at least 50 threads complaining about that. Go dig through the forums.

You only need about 10K armor to make Aegis Aurora efficient. Therefore, grabbing Iron Reflex alone will work.

Frenzy charges

As mentioned earlier, most veterans on this forum would actually agree with going frenzy, Just that you simply cannot invest in everything in this game. You have two choices-endurance or frenzy, but not both. Since your BOR already gives free endurance charges, you might want a more defensive version than offensive version. The 20% damage gives you better clear speed, therefore level up faster. Simultaneously, that endurance charge defensive bonus can save you from a potential 1 hit KO situation, therefore level up faster as well.

people told me 160% hp was really bad
Just invest your leftover passives in all the HP nodes I have not grabbed in the tree...Since you are using BOR now. Invest the block chance nodes in HP then...

Brutal Blade
Efficiency=Total bonus gained divided by number of nodes used to reach it. Can you find anything more efficient than Brutal Blade?
Just a quick update to the Scion lifewheel. Yes, you can grab it, but at the cost of quite a few thousand DPS. Some players acctually prefer the lower DPS just to play safe, at the same time slower kill rate=higher chance of death.

For everything I typed above, only some advice are gospel truths. The following you have your own freedom, nobody can argue which is exactly the best. Anything not listed below means you have to follow

-Scion life wheel or more damage

-BOR or 6link armor

-Frenzy or Endurance

-Gratuitous violence or Outmatch and Outlast

Ok. Just build around the ideas I have fed you so far. The rest are all up to you. If anything goes wrong, after next Monday I ll be able to see to it.

I know that armor scaling becomes terrible at some as with most games because how it's calculated so you can never reach very high amounts, only reason I tried to get more armor was for Aegis, but if 200es per block is good enough as it is, then it's ok. If you think I cant use both frenzy and endurance, then I think I'll use endurance and get Gratious Violence for that lovely explosion, I feel like that + ash will help a lot with clearing.

Seems like I'll do BoR and then switch to 6l, so I'll arenin the final 6% after leaving bor

Who cares about life DPS the best, life wheel sucks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info