D3 has something better than PoE.

"
Pewzor wrote:
Yes agree. Greater Rift is indefinitely better than PoE's shitty rng map system and their layouts and tilesets actually change everytime.

Literally in D3 everyone can attempt Tier 15 maps anytime anywhere all the time as long as their characters can handle them whereas PoE red maps are more about getting a drop of another red map and praying to RNG God for "skill" to continue farming T15 maps.

When endgame is about RNG and trading, I find it extremely ironic that PoE calls itself "hardcore ARPG".

While rerolling over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over amd over and over and over and going thru the same fucking acts over and over kinda sucks major donkey balls because PoE wants you to reroll... PoE do have a more vast skill system... fortunately makes the stupid reroll-a-thon stupidity less pronounced.

Also I like paragon levels gives you a reason to play a few "mains" by allowing you to progress your character endlessly, and not forcing you to reroll over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over or quit this game.

Make Lv100 obtainable to most people in a timely manner, and we get something like "Exiled Level" where each level takes the same amount of exp of Lv99-Lv100 and every 20 eLevels rewards a passive point.

But I know PoE whiteknights hates any change that might help PoE grow, expand and increase population and revenue for GGG. So I guess nvm, keep everything the same.

I think you are confused. Paragon and GRs helped PoE by being in D3 not the other way around.
"
Hackusations wrote:

I think you are confused. Paragon and GRs helped PoE by being in D3 not the other way around.

Source?

And you do know even if D3 only had 10% of the players left compare to it's release, D3 would still be much bigger than PoE right?

Source http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9097497/diablo-3-sales-30-million-units

D3 had over 30 millions copies sold counted at 8/4/2015 with RoS breaking 20 million.

Even if we assume NOBODY ever paid more than $20 for these that's well over a billion dollars not counting any of the RMAH revenue.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on May 4, 2016, 11:40:32 AM
"
Hackusations wrote:

you couldn't be more wrong. Paragon and GR saved D3 a big time. D3 was sinking ship and paragon + gr system made a lot of players return to the game.

Even when it's so much worse than D2, D3 is still the leading ARPG for a reason.

I've been spending some time on PoE recently and the thing I have noticed is that PoE lacks the attention to details when compared against d3.

Engine, graphics, art (as in item art), overlay map, user interface, tutorial, tips for new players. D3 excels in all these things because of the high level of attention to details from the developers.

To me, it feels a lot like Windows 10 (d3) vs Linux-based OS (PoE). Each game has its strength, but for majority of non-hardcore users, D3 is more approachable and well-polished, and that's why more are playing D3 than PoE.

Personally, I enjoy playing PoE and learning all the sophisticated skill tree and theory crafting. It was really hard to get through the initial process though, as the engine was so clunky and the graphics of the game was unattractive and did not seem very polished.

Now, I know that a lot of people argue that GGG is not a billion dollar game company and it's unfair to compare PoE against D3, which probably had millions of dollars funded for its development. I think that's horse crap, because most people won't even care. People are only interested in the product, and if your product is not as good as your competitor's, then no one will buy it.

If you think PoE is superior to D3 overall, it's like saying HOTS is better than League of legends (sure.... HOTS players would say that, but the statistics say about 1:20 ratio in population). Games like d3 and PoE are all about player base. If PoE doesn't have the player base, then it's still much to improve.
"
dooboosoda wrote:
"
Hackusations wrote:

you couldn't be more wrong. Paragon and GR saved D3 a big time. D3 was sinking ship and paragon + gr system made a lot of players return to the game.

Even when it's so much worse than D2, D3 is still the leading ARPG for a reason.

I've been spending some time on PoE recently and the thing I have noticed is that PoE lacks the attention to details when compared against d3.

Engine, graphics, art (as in item art), overlay map, user interface, tutorial, tips for new players. D3 excels in all these things because of the high level of attention to details from the developers. (NO SHIT WHEN D3 HAS A TEAM OF LIKE 100+ COUPLE TO POE 10+)

To me, it feels a lot like Windows 10 (d3) vs Linux-based OS (PoE). Each game has its strength, but for majority of non-hardcore users, D3 is more approachable and well-polished, and that's why more are playing D3 than PoE.

Personally, I enjoy playing PoE and learning all the sophisticated skill tree and theory crafting. It was really hard to get through the initial process though, as the engine was so clunky and the graphics of the game was unattractive and did not seem very polished.

Now, I know that a lot of people argue that GGG is not a billion dollar game company and it's unfair to compare PoE against D3, which probably had millions of dollars funded for its development. I think that's horse crap, because most people won't even care. People are only interested in the product, and if your product is not as good as your competitor's, then no one will buy it.

If you think PoE is superior to D3 overall, it's like saying HOTS is better than League of legends (sure.... HOTS players would say that, but the statistics say about 1:20 ratio in population). Games like d3 and PoE are all about player base. If PoE doesn't have the player base, then it's still much to improve.

POE is 100% better than D3. D3 is turd and sold mostly of D2 reputation.
D3 lost was POE gain, if D3 was not so much of a turd, POE would not be as popular as it is today.
Last edited by neostars on May 4, 2016, 8:55:42 PM
TL DR:
I find it interesting that so many of those saying that D3 sucked are justifying their arguments with "It just sucks bad! loser game!" if you don't have a valid argument or reason for posting, don't post.

I personally like both games. As with many games, Both PoE and D2 have their distinct benefits and challenges. My long version below gives my personal take on both.

Long version:

Mechanics-
PoE by a long shot. D3's de-evolution to it's current state of a semi-"action" based game IMO is simply a developer team that didn't want to have to work to make an interesting system. Cheap man's way out. PoE's passive tree, combined with the Gem setup, allows so much flexibility it borders on amazing IMO. D3 wasn't even in the finals on this one. Don't get me wrong, I do love playing my barbarian and Demon hunter, but I pretty much boil them down to one setup, one system. Even to this day I still run into build ideas in PoE that I simply run out of time to try out.

Gear -
Hat's to PoE, if but by a bit. D3 has done much better in the recent past, but it's still behind PoE as it's simply does not have a market. Now, this may only be personal preference. gear acquisition in D3 is based on the point that you cannot trade, and gear acquisition is split between tokens and RNG.

PoE has a better gear system, but only because it opens the market up, allowing people to get gear that they otherwise would never have a chance at. But saying that, I prefer the option to trade, and thus control my gear acquisition, rather then have the dev team control my gear acquisition through token drops. But this is ONLY due to an open and flexible market system. If PoE did not have this, I probably wouldn't play it at all. Pure RNG is a Horrid design by default. the excellent market system in PoE (could be better, don't get me wrong, but it's not bad at the moment) is the only reason that RNG works in this game.

D3 is getting better with this...more flexibility in their system along with the gems and jewels gives you more to tinker with and more to try out, but in the end when you play a barb you are playing what 85% of the other Barbs are playing. not too inventive.

End game-
D3 wind this one. While Maps aren't BAD, the system that produces them is not effective for linear character growth. RNG is not what people want to rely on to grow their character. Imagine if once you hit the exp threshold for your next level, the game rolled a die, and if the roll failed, you were back to 0 exp at your current level.

That is pretty much what PoE does. The RNG lies in the actual acquisition of maps instead of gaining a level, but the RNG is still there. at some point you stop gaining what most people would call equitable gain from playing lower tier maps, and with the drop rates being what they are, real character advancement is limited by this RNG model.

D3 actually rewards you for playing no matter what you do, and your character advancement isn't limited by whether or not you got lucky with a map drop that day. Not to mention that leveling your higher level characters benefits you lower level ones and your new alts via the Paragon system. Love it or not, it is tuned to benefit the player who plays, not the market. RNG loses in this case.

Graphics-
tie. I like both. neither is an award winning detail level or realism level. both have their advantages and disadvantages. D3 is more colorful, but the detail level in both is great and I enjoy the varied scenery in both. If anything, PoE has a better variety of backgrounds, while at least half of D4 is either in some hell zone that looks like...well, hell...or some frozen barren wasteland. But it is more colorful IMO, so for this ones an apple, ones an orange. both are good fruit.

flexibility/customization-
D3 wins here. It has more interesting character design (skins, not mechanics per se), and the larger variety of gear looks plays towards more interesting styles, and that's attractive to a large playerbase (bigger then most "hardcore" players realize).

one of my greatest struggles with PoE is no matter what you do, with some characters they are simply ugly. While I love the survival scheme, I don't enjoy the idea that my character, who drug themselves through the entire realm of Wraeclast, and defeated the most powerful entities in it...and happened by dozens upon dozens of chests in the palace and temple halls, didn't find one single getup to make them look good. I like the "bad" looks, and the "dead" looks, but the exclusion of anything remotely attractive leaves me a bit dry. At least D3 recognizes that people like to look good while they play. or at least have a choice.

Overall, I think both games could learn from each other and grow. And those against D3, I would at least expect logical arguments rather then trolling comments or ignorant spouts, you only belittle yourself at that point.

EDIT: Not to say that everyone who doesn't like D3 is a troll or ignorant. But Logical arguments, or even Logical reasoning (a.k.a here's my opinion and the reasons why) helps further the discussion. A single line ranting about D3 doesn't. This would also apply to single line rants about PoE. There are just far less of those in this thread...for good reason. It's the PoE forum.
Last edited by Temjiu on May 4, 2016, 9:56:42 PM
I find it funny that people are still unironically debating D3 vs PoE in le current year.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Temjiu wrote:
TL DR:
I find it interesting that so many of those saying that D3 sucked are justifying their arguments with "It just sucks bad! loser game!" if you don't have a valid argument or reason for posting, don't post.

I personally like both games. As with many games, Both PoE and D2 have their distinct benefits and challenges. My long version below gives my personal take on both.

Long version:

Mechanics-
PoE by a long shot. D3's de-evolution to it's current state of a semi-"action" based game IMO is simply a developer team that didn't want to have to work to make an interesting system. Cheap man's way out. PoE's passive tree, combined with the Gem setup, allows so much flexibility it borders on amazing IMO. D3 wasn't even in the finals on this one. Don't get me wrong, I do love playing my barbarian and Demon hunter, but I pretty much boil them down to one setup, one system. Even to this day I still run into build ideas in PoE that I simply run out of time to try out.

Gear -
Hat's to PoE, if but by a bit. D3 has done much better in the recent past, but it's still behind PoE as it's simply does not have a market. Now, this may only be personal preference. gear acquisition in D3 is based on the point that you cannot trade, and gear acquisition is split between tokens and RNG.

PoE has a better gear system, but only because it opens the market up, allowing people to get gear that they otherwise would never have a chance at. But saying that, I prefer the option to trade, and thus control my gear acquisition, rather then have the dev team control my gear acquisition through token drops. But this is ONLY due to an open and flexible market system. If PoE did not have this, I probably wouldn't play it at all. Pure RNG is a Horrid design by default. the excellent market system in PoE (could be better, don't get me wrong, but it's not bad at the moment) is the only reason that RNG works in this game.

D3 is getting better with this...more flexibility in their system along with the gems and jewels gives you more to tinker with and more to try out, but in the end when you play a barb you are playing what 85% of the other Barbs are playing. not too inventive.

End game-
D3 wind this one. While Maps aren't BAD, the system that produces them is not effective for linear character growth. RNG is not what people want to rely on to grow their character. Imagine if once you hit the exp threshold for your next level, the game rolled a die, and if the roll failed, you were back to 0 exp at your current level.

That is pretty much what PoE does. The RNG lies in the actual acquisition of maps instead of gaining a level, but the RNG is still there. at some point you stop gaining what most people would call equitable gain from playing lower tier maps, and with the drop rates being what they are, real character advancement is limited by this RNG model.

D3 actually rewards you for playing no matter what you do, and your character advancement isn't limited by whether or not you got lucky with a map drop that day. Not to mention that leveling your higher level characters benefits you lower level ones and your new alts via the Paragon system. Love it or not, it is tuned to benefit the player who plays, not the market. RNG loses in this case.

Graphics-
tie. I like both. neither is an award winning detail level or realism level. both have their advantages and disadvantages. D3 is more colorful, but the detail level in both is great and I enjoy the varied scenery in both. If anything, PoE has a better variety of backgrounds, while at least half of D4 is either in some hell zone that looks like...well, hell...or some frozen barren wasteland. But it is more colorful IMO, so for this ones an apple, ones an orange. both are good fruit.

flexibility/customization-
D3 wins here. It has more interesting character design (skins, not mechanics per se), and the larger variety of gear looks plays towards more interesting styles, and that's attractive to a large playerbase (bigger then most "hardcore" players realize).

one of my greatest struggles with PoE is no matter what you do, with some characters they are simply ugly. While I love the survival scheme, I don't enjoy the idea that my character, who drug themselves through the entire realm of Wraeclast, and defeated the most powerful entities in it...and happened by dozens upon dozens of chests in the palace and temple halls, didn't find one single getup to make them look good. I like the "bad" looks, and the "dead" looks, but the exclusion of anything remotely attractive leaves me a bit dry. At least D3 recognizes that people like to look good while they play. or at least have a choice.

Overall, I think both games could learn from each other and grow. And those against D3, I would at least expect logical arguments rather then trolling comments or ignorant spouts, you only belittle yourself at that point.

EDIT: Not to say that everyone who doesn't like D3 is a troll or ignorant. But Logical arguments, or even Logical reasoning (a.k.a here's my opinion and the reasons why) helps further the discussion. A single line ranting about D3 doesn't. This would also apply to single line rants about PoE. There are just far less of those in this thread...for good reason. It's the PoE forum.

I done my fair share of explaining, no need to waste more time posting long comments about that turd of a game. Just go check archive of D3 forums and see how many post hating on D3.
Last edited by neostars on May 5, 2016, 2:03:53 AM
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
Hackusations wrote:

Source?

And you do know even if D3 only had 10% of the players left compare to it's release, D3 would still be much bigger than PoE right?

Source http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9097497/diablo-3-sales-30-million-units

D3 had over 30 millions copies sold counted at 8/4/2015 with RoS breaking 20 million.

Even if we assume NOBODY ever paid more than $20 for these that's well over a billion dollars not counting any of the RMAH revenue.

The only source anyone needs is www.diablo3.com where 2 years after the release of RoS there is no new expansion, no love at Blizzcon, and devs have basically gone radio-silent. The community has been reduced to stalking Blizzard hirings praying for a hint of a new expansion or D4.

However, if you really want to know some details then I'll educate you a little bit about Activision Blizzard quarterlies.

Units =/= Copies
The 30 million 'units' sold a sly way for Blizzard to report a bigger number than what their actual retail sales would suggest. In other words they count SKUs, which means things like bundles of D3V+RoS have 2 units or when they sell premium in China they count the D3V players get anyway for free as a unit. Remember this number was reported in the same quarterly that had the millions lost in WoW subs, which they will no longer report, and not long after they had already canceled their $150 million Titan project. They were more than motivated to create whatever positive points they could for their stockholders.

Let's put it another way. If they had actually retailed 30 million in 4 years then that's roughly 15 million for the two 2-year development cycle of the original and RoS release. That's Call of Duty level sales and yet no expansion... hmmm. Meanwhile, Blizzard is trying to convince everyone that WoW dying is a good thing because their other titles will pick up the slack and instead of following up on the supposedly successful RoS they shelved the next D3 expansion and went with untested new titles involving a LoL clone and a recycled Titan turned TF2 clone.

The reality is D3V broke pre-order records and was wildly successful before most people could log into the game because of the hype surrounding it and the reputation Blizzard had. That's all gone now and most of what has happened with D3 since then hasn't been nearly as successful especially when subtracting the original PC sales of the first year. After the addition of RoS, the of counting $0 copies, the addition of having been ported to consoles, and the regional release of a F2P model in China the returns just haven't merited them putting resources into another expansion.

D3 is suffering from exactly the same core problems WoW is, which is the trivialization of core RPG aspects and character progression. Everything is so short-circuited, dumbed down, turned into a superficial choice, and eventually funneled into blatant Skinner's box design end-game(Paragon and GRs) that there is very little longevity or replay value in them.
Last edited by Hackusations on May 5, 2016, 3:37:32 AM
I got bored with the current season in PoE, but I am having a blast with Wand of Woh Wizzard in D3 collecting Firebird pieces.

It was not a hard decision choosing if to play new D3 season VS making endless Lab runs for 40 Challenges done.

Alt Art items as League MTX - When?
Interesting, there still are people around who think Blizzard-Activision has anything to do with the Blizzard of old.

It turned into a money-grubbing abomination long ago. It has produced nothing but shit in a long, long time. It managed to take WoW, Stacraft and Diablo - arguably the three most iconic games ever developed - and turn them into bland, soulless carbon copies of their former glory.

Watching their inevitable sinking into obscurity and infamy is a bittersweet feeling. On one hand, I'm glad because they deserve nothing else. On the other, this used to be the most amazing game studio, a legend and an old friend. A source of wonder and amazement from my childhood - I practically grew up with their games. Lost Vikings, Warcraft 1 & 2, Starcraft, Diablo, everything they did had the magic touch.

...fast forward to present days where I directly skip a title if it says 'Blizzard'. What was once great has now fallen into the Electronic Arts category.

Sad days.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info