Elemental Overload - Any way to tell if it's more efficient than your Crit Multiplier?

Pretty much as the title says. I'm a few points away from it, so I can't just use a regret to see what happens to my DPS if I take it.

Wondering if there's any handy chart, or formula, to work out if your regular Crit Multiplier or Elemental Overload will deal more damage.

Thanks!
Last bumped on Apr 23, 2016, 10:18:04 AM
Here you go. The red squares are where Overload is better, and this chart also assumes that Overload is permanently procced, which is obviously not a perfect assumption.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Apr 23, 2016, 8:09:53 AM
it's just a simple formula.

Let x = your skill's final crit chance, as a decimal

and

y = your skill's crit multiplier, as a decimal

then, if

x * (y-1) < .4

a perma-proc'd ele overload is better (for damage, anyway). If not, crit is the same or better.

Of course, that's for spells, which don't have to concern themselves with accuracy. For attacks, you just multiply accuracy into the first half.
Last edited by Shppy on Apr 23, 2016, 8:50:04 AM
Nice table, viperesque. I should save that somewhere.
As others have said, there's accuracy to factor in, and another important point: Specialty equipment and CoC.
If you, f.Ex., use Trypanon (the always crit mace) for CoC, your crits themselves won't do much damage anyways, but you'll get a pretty much permanent 40% damage boost for your spells triggered by critical attacks.
Just as well, Overload allows you to gain a buff on spells that normally don't crit. Sad it doesn't count as a buff.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Thanks! Very awesome table, very easy to use.

Looks like for my Whispering Ice build, Elemental Overload just sneaks in as the better option. Now I just gotta level up again so I can afford to get it~

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info