[2.2 DEA-OCC] Dire Drain: 66.5k Essence Drain DPS without LL or RF | Videos up

[Work in progress]

Goals achieved:
-60k DPS, 5.7k life, 10k armor.
-Atziri down.
-Relatively inexpensive (see cost breakdown below)

0% lv. 21 ED + Lv. 4 Empower

-Is 70k ED possible?

Stats

0% Lv. 21 ED + Lv. 3 Empower

-the life regeneration of ED is pretty good. Because the damage is so high, the life regenerated is almost the same as using life flasks.
-apex of sacrifice was very easy and straight forward with ED and temp chains (CoH on Ball lightning is ideal).

Links

Damage Dealer
ED - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Pierce - Rapid Decay - Empower(lv 2+)
Because 6L normal/magic bows are so cheap, you don't have to worry about which gem to take out if you only have a 5L.

Spreader
Contagion - Inc AoE - Faster Casting
Turns ED into an AoE.

Curser
Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - GMP - Temp. Chains or Projectile Weakness
BL is an obvious choice: it can apply curse to a pack very easily as it has auto-pierce. Temp chains with harder maps and Projectile weakness for faster clears (and sweeping with knockback).

Escape
Blink Arrow
Since your projectile speed is high, using BA for escaping is ideal. You can also use Flame Dash and Lightning Warp, it's up to you.

Frenzy Charge Generator
Blood Rage
You have enough life regen to counter BR's degen even without taking into account ED's regen.

Burst Counter
Cast when Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Increased Duration
Practically required for builds.

Aura
Clarity and Grace
You don't actually need either of these. You can easily take care of mana issues with a flask and armor with decent gear. The main thing to note is that mana cannot be reserved to allow Clear Mind to work. That's where Essence Worms come in.

Costs Breakdown

[The links are to PSC]
6L Bow 30c+
Kaom's Heart 60c+
Drillneck 8c+
Winds of Change 10c+
Essence Worm 15c+ * 2
Total = 138c ~= 2.3 ex (60c:1ex)

If other costs are taken into account (jewels, gear, 20% gems), you'd probably spend between 4ex and 6ex, which is much cheaper than a decent 6L unique body armor.

Additional costs:
-alteration orbs to roll +1 to gems on bow
-chromatic orbs to get RGGGBB on bow, and other gear
-helm, amulet, boots, belt with decent stats
-21/20 ED is absolutely not cost effective. Get it when you have BiS for every other gear. lv. 21 ED is enough
-lv. 4 Empower is the same with 21/20 ED. lv. 3 corrupted Empower is about 45c in PSC so if you're impatient you can get that.

Atziri

I actually didn't do anything special for Atziri other than using a Ruby Flask.

For the Vessels, I casted 2-3 EDs each before they went down. Use contagion to clear adds. Ball Lightning with temp chains to make it easier.

Same tactics with Q'ura, Y'ara'az, and A'alai. You won't get 1-shot but should probably keep your distance. Because my move speed was slow, I've used Quicksilver flask. If you're out of charges, Blink Arrow can help.

For Atziri herself, I just casted ED until she went to the split phase. Again, because your move speed is a bit slow, take caution here. Using Blink arrow to escape the flame blast works, although you should use it sparingly as it does have a 4 sec. cooldown.

Synergies
Bow + Drillneck + Pierce

The bow is rolled with +1 to gems, making ED and Empower better. With lv. 21 ED and lv. 3 Empower, you get a lv. 25 ED. Similar concept with caustic arrow, but cheaper since you only need to get the +1 to socketed gems.

Since ED is linked with Pierce, ED gets a +100% increased projectile DPS. 50% piercing from Pierce and 50% from Deadeye ascendancy. It works somehow, even though the pierce on ED should not affect global arrow pierce chance.

Essence Worms and Clear Mind

With 2 essence worms, you don't reserve any mana. Clear Mind gives you 55%+ increased spell damage. Corrupting CM for silence immunity would be ideal.

Jewels

Any 3 combination of Chaos, DoT, spell, projectile, max life, and resistances is ideal.

Ascendancy

Choose Deadeye for the pierce and projectile speed, and Occultist for the -15% chaos resistance to cursed enemies.

Bandits

Oak - Kill - Frenzy

Passive tree

Current Gear

Leveling

I think writing my own would be pointless as other (better) people already have guides on how to level up ED. Check out LiftingNerdBro's ED Guide which, aside from gearing and the passive tree, shares a lot of similarities. The leveling methods section should help out a lot.

More writeup later

Credits
Huge thanks to Tey for the lv. 21 ED
Last edited by Dire_ on May 8, 2016, 3:36:24 PM
Last bumped on Sep 9, 2016, 8:53:39 PM
Imo Deadeye would be a better pick than Berserker. Much needed projectile speed for the slow ED, additional pierce to cap 100% and an additional projectile would give you much better dps and aoe than the mere 10% more damage from Berserker.

If you don't mind the movement speed penalty (and can get the cold resists somewhere else if you need it) winds of change would also be a better choice than southbound. Projectile speed and damage should make up for a slight loss in life.
Last edited by Bada_Bing on Apr 20, 2016, 11:42:50 AM
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Imo Deadeye would be a better pick than Berserker. Much needed projectile speed for the slow ED, additional pierce to cap 100% and an additional projectile would give you much better dps and aoe than the mere 10% more damage from Berserker.

If you don't mind the movement speed penalty (and can get the cold resists somewhere else if you need it) winds of change would also be a better choice than southbound. Projectile speed and damage should make up for a slight loss in life.

Hey Bada_Bing!
From the calculations I did, 10% more dmg from Berserker did more than an additional 40% (since there's already 60% increased proj. dmg) but I think you may be right in that it can help with the clear speed.

Regarding Winds of Change, I'll test that as well. Currently, Southbound gives me 300 increased life which might be worth the tradeoff.

Time to test, haha.

Edit:
Aaah, I just remembered. I used Southbound because the socket colors made it easier since I already had the ED enchant on a pretty good evasion helm. The only remaining sockets I needed were for Contagion - Inc AoE - Faster casting link (BBB).

I think Deadeye did improve clear speed in exchange for a 2k DPS loss for a lv. 25 ED.
Last edited by Dire_ on Apr 20, 2016, 2:21:50 PM
what bandits did you do?
"
thunderingice wrote:
what bandits did you do?

I took Oak - Kill - Frenzy.

I should probably have that in the guide, haha. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for your response. I now have a second question which I realize is probably a dumb question, but what do you use to generate endurance charge for immortals calls?
"
thunderingice wrote:
Thanks for your response. I now have a second question which I realize is probably a dumb question, but what do you use to generate endurance charge for immortals calls?

You don't really need to regenerate charges for Immortal Call. Since it automatically casts on its own with Cast When Damage Taken. It is there to so that in the less than 1 sec that it is active, a burst of physical damage does not kill you.
hmmm. thanks for the response. I may do some experiments of my own once i get my character a tad further. thank you for your perspective however.
"
thunderingice wrote:
hmmm. thanks for the response. I may do some experiments of my own once i get my character a tad further. thank you for your perspective however.

No problem! Good luck with your experiments.
Can we get a video please ? :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info