[2.2] Elemental Minigun - Melt the screen for 1 Exalt - CoC Quill Rain

-Introduction-
Spoiler

**Build has been updated to use EK instead of Magma Orb. It's just faster, as cool as Magma Orb was it was too slow since it doesn't scale to projectile speed**

Back again with another guide. I was inspired by the Quill Rain CoC Spark/EK build for assassin, and knew I could improve upon it, so I did. This is, honestly, the best low budget build in the game at the moment. It delivers INSANE DPS, solid survivability, a ton of fun, and is 100% viable on 1 exalt worth of gear. The only mandatory items are a Quill Rain (any links/sockets) and a Tabula. You get to control a minigun vortex of death and watch the world burn! (and shock and freeze). This is, by far, the best build I have ever made and I truly think it's one of the best builds in the game at the moment due to it's incredible value.

-Videos-
Spoiler

Sorry for the shitty quality and whatnot, this is really just to give you an idea of what the build looks like. I'm also a shitty pilot with a shitty rig, so there's that. More videos to come soon but need to go to work. The fact my 7 year old PC could even record this well was good news to me lol.

Volley Fire Comparison - Proof that 1 is all you need:
https://youtu.be/Emvn7q25Ymo

Gorge: https://youtu.be/J872zfIVN-A
(just got Vaal Haste/Grace and forgot to even use them lol)

-Pros/Cons-
Spoiler

Pros:
+ HUGE DPS, potentially millions per second on a big group. You'll be casting 60 spells per second all at full damage (no GMP/LM, etc) all with +1 projectiles, so be prepared to see the screen full of projectiles
+ MASSIVE life on hit (and mana) with Thief's Torment; potentially thousands per second. This ring is so good for this build it was pretty much made for it
+ Fast clear speed
+ Can do any map mod except reflect; but doesn't die to ele/phys reflect rares due to LoH!
+ CHEAP! I'm using about 1 exa worth of gear and can clear level 80 maps easily at level 80!
+ Very scalable; if you are rich and in Standard you could throw 200 exalt at this build and be a God (Legacy Kaom's). For even 5 exa worth of the gear the build becomes OP.
+ High Survivability due to many layers of very unique defence: 1) Knockback on crit (and with Barrage Quill Rain that's a lot of knockback; even jumping enemies can't get to you) 2) Chilled ground from Arctic Breath. 3) Maim from crits from the Assassin part of Ascendant for another 30% slow... enemies simply can't get you to. It's seriously kinda broken. 4) Arrow Dancing - Since nothing can get within melee range, this node becomes broken. Dodge ranged attacks and keep melee at bay = winning.
+ Looks and feels cool as fuck; it's literally like controlling a minigun that rains down elemental hell on everything you're facing.

Cons:

- PC unfriendly. My PC is 7 years old and wasn't top of the line back then so my frame rate drops on large packs, especially Perandus Chest groups. That said, I can run it just fine now that I got a SSD so you don't need some new top-of-the-line PC to play it.
- With the super budget version lacks some HP (but is surprisingly still tanky)

-Gearing-
Spoiler
This build is the single best low-budget build in the game. You doubt me? Try it. Here's my current gear and I can clear any content in the game (haven't tried Uber Atziri, though. I don't like bosses in this game, really).

Super affordable, even for people in a new league. Keep in mind you need 155 INT to use level 20 Spark, so you will need +30 Int on ammy and +15 int on a gem to cap it out exactly (that's min-maxing for ya!)

However, it also scales extremely well with gear. Stage 2 of this build would be a 5 link (ideally 6L) Quill with Kaom's Heart. If you're rich, use a legacy Kaom's and never die. I also just got some resist jewels and am using Seven League Step.

In a perfect world, the gear would be: Legacy Kaom's Heart, 6L Quill Rain, Shadow's and Dust, Drillneck, Rat's Nest with Assassin's Mark enchant, Seven League Step boots, Thief's Torment, rare belt/ammy for resists.

My next upgrade will be a 5L Quill with Kaom's Heart until I can afford a 6L Quill.

You will need a couple of jewels similar to these
to cap resists and give some extra life if you decide to go Seven League Step (which I recommend highly!) Notice the Int on a the jewel... this is extremely important! You need +15 INT on a jewel and +30 Int on necklace (or belt if you can manage) to hit 155 Int for level 20 Spark and Magma Orb!

In addition to those jewels, you want ONE (and only ONE)
. I have run that math every way possible and 1 is enough to max out on the 50 MS cooldown of CoC. More on that later. This jewel goes in the cluster near Heartseeker, as that's the only spot with 50 Dex in the radius.

-Leveling-
Spoiler

Leveling this build isn't as bad as it might seem, but you can't level as CoC. I recommend switched to CoC/Quill Rain at level 60.

Do it however you want but I personally used Storm Cloud and Rain of Arrows along with Tabula to level and kept upgrading bows as I went with new uniques. Storm Cloud will be good til about level 30. I switched to Blast Rain once I could. I also used as many uniques with flat damage on them as I could (Sadima's Touch, The Ignomon, etc.) and used Hyrri's Ire quiver for more AOE. My 6L was:

Increased Critical Strikes/Blast Rain (or ROA)/Faster Attacks/Increased Area of Effect (or Concentrated Effect if you prefer)/Added Cold/Added Lightning.

I focused on a balance of life and crit nodes, with projectile damage nodes thrown in (even though ROA doesn't benefit from them) to keep the tree as close to the final version as possible. I didn't use a bunch of passive refunds to change my build at 60, I went with that tree from the get-go but do as you feel is best.

I skipped Lab entirely until about level 40 when I did normal. I then didn't touch Lab again until level 60 and I was ready to switch to CoC and then did Cruel and Merci (friend helped with that one). The build isn't very good until it gets both Ascendancy trees (Deadeye / Assassin).

Getting EE should be your priority after you get all the crit nodes.

-Ascendancy-
Spoiler
Deadeye/Assassin is by far the best version of this build. The people who run Assassin are wrong. The reason? Deadeye adds a LOT! By running Scion and getting the best of both worlds we get:

+1 Projectiles. This is nuts. It's mini-LMP with no LESS multiplier!
50% pierce - This means instead of pierce gem we can run a third spell... this is huge! Yes, Pierce also adds %MORE dmg, but it pales in comparison of adding an extra spell with an extra projectile!
30% increased projectile damage - While pure Deadeye's get 30% MORE damage, it's only to ATTACKS, thus is a wasted node. The mini-version actually is better for our build, as 30% increased projectile damage is around 3 passive nodes worth of damage!
Maim - Even pure Assassin's don't get this, as they spec Unstable and this don't get the Maim. Even though we are only half Assassin we get the benefit they don't!
+1% base crit - It's true that running a pure Assassin with Unstable Infusion will grant more crit chance, but it comes at a steep cost; they lose out on Maim (massive survivability increase!), +1 projectiles (this is huge!), 50% Pierce. Yes, Unstable Infusion would be nice but you have to pick and choose, can't get everything.

In addition we get 2 extra passive points, and chance to gain power charges even without Assassin's Mark, so we can still do maps with Curse Immune no problem!

What do we lose? Honestly, nothing much. The extra crit from pure assassin could be used to remove some crit nodes (but that's about it).

Deadeye has the same problems, in particular the potential best node doesn't work for us (up to 30% MORE damage for ATTACKS based on range; spells aren't attacks).

So again, we took the best part of Deadeye without even being one; a pure Deadeye doesn't even get our 30% increased projectile damage! A pure Deadeye does get 100% crit chance based on pierce so that would be 5% (Quill Rain's crit chance), but we get more than that by taking Dead/Sin and getting 1% BASE crit (multiplied by around 650% from power charges, gear, and gems) so again, the hybrid is better in every way! We truly get the best of both worlds and don't pay a penny to do so!

-Passives-
Spoiler

Here's my tree at level 82:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAADuAwQDHgW1DPIN0REvFSAZtB9BIXYi4iP2JP0mlSj6KgsqTSpbKwos6S2DMHEwfDWSNj031DnUOkI-zz8nQYdHfkfiSshLeE2SUUdS7FVLWlJbr13yYeJirGNDZU1sjG1sbqpv8nBScsN1y3tue8N_K4JegseGs4bOhweJ04wLjDaNfY2_lyGYrZtdnaqgn6OKpDmkeKXLpjKocqiaqwuxW7TFtfK3Prl8vTa95r6nwTPBfMHVwuzMBtN-1CPWiti93Q3dqN7444TnVOpi62PssO0_7g7vevKX9qP56P4K_94=?accountName=Vaalamity&characterName=I_PvP_Naked

Here it is finished at 95:
http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAADuAwQDHgUtBbUM8g3RES8VIBm0H0Ei4iP2JP0mlSj6KgsqTSpbKwos6S2DMHEwfDWSNj031DnUOkI-zz8nQYdDMUd-R-JKyEt4TZJRR1LsVUtVhVoaWlJd8mHiYqxjQ2VNbIxtbG6qb_JwUnLDdO11y3rve257w311fyuCXoLHhrOHB4nTjAuMNo19jX6Nv5chmK2bXZ2qoJ-jiqQ5pHily6Yyp9SocqiaqwuxW7TFtfK3Pre2uXy74702vea-p8F8wdXC7MMzxKLMBtN-1CPWiti92sHdDd2o3vjjhOdU6mLrY-yw7T_uDu968pf2o_no_gr-uv7I_94=

-Gems-
Spoiler
This build is VERY light on the links, which let's us use Kaom's Heart and also not worry too much about the other links. You don't even need all of your slots linked... lol.

6L - CoC/Increased Critical Strikes/Barrage/EK/Spark/Arctic Breath
4L - Curse on Hit/Assassin's Mark/Frenzy/GMP
4L - Vaal Grace/Grace/Arctic Armor/Blink Arrow (this setup doesn't even need to be linked!)
4L - CWDT (lvl 2)/Frost Wall (lvl 11)/Immortal Call (lvl 3)/Increased Duration (max)

That's it. Chest will ideally be a Kaom's Heart. I would use it with a 5L Quill Rain if you need to, and add Magma Orb back in when you can afford a 6L Quill Rain.

-Accuracy-
Spoiler
As in my other crit guide, here's a note on Accuracy; a VERY underrated and misunderstood stat.

Accuracy is vital; much more so than people think. Accuracy is even more important for a crit build due to the fact crits are accuracy checked TWICE; if the second roll fails, the crit becomes a normal hit. Taking that into account, adding to accuracy raises your real crit chance more than raising crit chance does, as well as raising your overall DPS more due to more hits.

For example, if you have an 85% chance to hit and 90% chance to crit, your attacks will look like this:
-15% miss
-8.5% normal hit
-11.5% hit that WOULD have crit but failed second accuracy check
-65% crits

If you raise your crit chance to 95% and keep your hit chance at 85%, your hits looks like this:
-15% miss
-4.25% normal hit
-12.11% normal hit that WOULD HAVE crit but failed second accuracy check
-68.64% crit

Notice in the above examples, you raised your crit chance from 90% to 95% but your actual crit chance went up only 3.64%.

Now watch what happens if you keep crit at 90% but raise accuracy that same 5% to 90% chance to hit...

-10% miss
-9% normal hit
-8.1% normal hit that WOULD HAVE crit but failed second accuracy check
-72.9% crit

So you raised accuracy by 5% but increased real crit chance by 7.9% and now you land more normal hits too! While raising crit chance from 90% to 95% only adds 3.64% real crits.

In this build we will be around 92% chance to hit; more if you manage to get accuracy on your ammy.

-Bandits-
Spoiler

Normal: Help Oak (+40 hp)
Cruel: Kill all (+1 Passive)
Merciless: Help Alira (+1 Power Charge)

-Flasks-
Spoiler
This build heals itself so well and has no need for mana that flasks are really up to you, but mandatory is a flask with Staunching and a flask with Thawing. The rest is up to you. Ideally you want Surgeon's mod (even non-legacy, as we crit A TON) on all the flasks. In a perfect world, you would have a Surgeon's Jade Flask of Relexes, a Surgeon's Divine Life Flask of Staunching, A Surgeon's Divine Life Flask of Thawing, and probably 2 Surgeon's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline.

Rumi's would also work, but the armor would be halved and the block thirded because of Acrobatics so I wouldn't spend my hard earned currency for one.

-FAQ-
Spoiler

Here are the questions I expect to get asked so I will answer them ahead of time:

Why only one Volley Fire?

Volley fire adds projectiles to the first and last hit only, it doesn't add more staggered hits. The reason this is important is because each Barrage either crits or hits (or misses, but not likely) so the entire barrage could be considered as one roll. This is important due to the 50 MS (1/20 second) cooldown for each spell on Cast on Crit. Even if we landed 1,000,000 crits in an instant (one frame), we would still only proc CoC at a maximum of once per linked spell. See the video for comparison. This is actually why my actual proc rate is lower than I calculated; even with 1 Volley Fire we are getting diminishing returns.

Why Elemental Equilibrium?

-50% resist is huge; it's the same as adding a level 31 Elemental Weakness curse; so for the few skill points it takes to reach it could also read; +1 to maximum curses, enemies have level 31 elemental weakness curse. It's an absolute insane DPS boost, and part of why this build is so epic.

To boot, because of said 50 MS cooldown on CoC, this ensures each spell HAS to be cycling CoC; think about it; Spark procs, it's now on cooldown for 1/20 of a second, but the Arctic Breath is not, so it goes off, and procs EE again, so CoC does the stagger for us and ensures it's unlikely to hit the same enemy twice with the same element! EE is the single biggest DPS boost you could have; it's easily equivalent to adding another 20/20 gem, but more!

Wouldn't Voltaxic/Windripper or a high crit bow be better than Quill Rain?

Short answer, no. Long answer, still no. Think in terms of crit per second, especially in consideration that each Barrage VOLLEY (not each individual arrow) is all rolled as crit or not... that said, nothing will trump the attack speed. With the bonus +1% base crit from Dead/Sin ascendancy, nothing is better than Quill Rain. Period. Trust me, run the math.

Why not use a wand? What does a bow offer?

Well, firstly the best wand and Quill Rain offer very similar crits per second, this is true. That's where the similarities stop. It's EXTREMELY hard to get crit nodes for wand; Just the King of the Hill node offers 80% bow crit, while it takes pretty much the entire wand cluster to get that and you don't get the knockback, which is INSANE in this build! Seriously, try it! I will knock a boss off the screen and pin him to a wall in an instant!

Secondly, attack speed > all else. Again, hits/crits are rolled for all the projectiles in Barrage at once, so with a slower weapon it means you will have longer periods without a single CoC. With an attack speed of 5 barrages per second with Quill Rain, there is virtually no chance of having a gap of CoC damage!

Your projectile pierce is only 90%, while arrow pierce is 100%

Yup, this is called min-maxing. At 100% arrow pierce we get full benefit from Quill Rain damage and the procs from our Barrage; the 10% we are missing in projectiles is massively irrelevant and saves a point. Why? Think about Arctic Breath, for example. At 90% Pierce chance the odds are extremely high that even with 5 mobs all lined up you will pierce all 5. Even in the off chance you don't, it will explode and add more chilled ground. There's nothing really lost there.
Last edited by Vaalamity on Apr 19, 2016, 1:33:25 AM
Last bumped on Jun 22, 2016, 2:47:41 PM
Hi, i liked the build but i was wondering how's the DPS in single target.

Ah, i forgot, can you post some videos?

I'll try the build though
Last edited by Ergolic on Apr 15, 2016, 7:42:17 AM
Please do not throw numbers at people from your mind.

This build cannot reach over a million dps, it has accuracy to factor in, it cannot get over 10 procs per second for single target (I also played many bow coc builds this league and if you can record a quick t12 boss kill, you'll see that the boss won't go down as fast as a 1 million dps reave build).

Cast on Critical Strike has a 50ms cooldown so getting 60 procs per second, even with a room full of mobs is impossible, even with 3 spells, due to the fact that you have to bypass 70% chance to cast on critical strike, accuracy and 95% critical strike chance.

I am not counting the fact that barrage spends 40% of the attack time charging up, then the 60% of the time firing arrows. So you lose 40% of your attack time EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU ATTACK.

It is elemental based, therefore prone to damaging bosses which have 50% all resist in high tier maps. Mobs also have around 20-40% resists. Plus there are map mods that grant elemental resistances.

We all want to post BIG numbers to impress people and get them to play our builds, but a new player might easily be misguided by your claims in the build. Please calculate appropriately and post real numbers.

Otherwise, appreciate your efforts, and post some videos if you can! Good luck.
Last edited by Mothren on Apr 15, 2016, 9:05:46 AM
deleted.

concern mentioned in op.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Apr 15, 2016, 4:30:00 PM
"
Mothren wrote:
Please do not throw numbers at people from your mind.

This build cannot reach over a million dps, it has accuracy to factor in, it cannot get over 10 procs per second for single target (I also played many bow coc builds this league and if you can record a quick t12 boss kill, you'll see that the boss won't go down as fast as a 1 million dps reave build).

Cast on Critical Strike has a 50ms cooldown so getting 60 procs per second, even with a room full of mobs is impossible, even with 3 spells, due to the fact that you have to bypass 70% chance to cast on critical strike, accuracy and 95% critical strike chance.

I am not counting the fact that barrage spends 40% of the attack time charging up, then the 60% of the time firing arrows. So you lose 40% of your attack time EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU ATTACK.

It is elemental based, therefore prone to damaging bosses which have 50% all resist in high tier maps. Mobs also have around 20-40% resists. Plus there are map mods that grant elemental resistances.

We all want to post BIG numbers to impress people and get them to play our builds, but a new player might easily be misguided by your claims in the build. Please calculate appropriately and post real numbers.

Otherwise, appreciate your efforts, and post some videos if you can! Good luck.

CoC can absolutely reach 60 casts per second, and regularly does. Here's why. Each barrage is crit calculated once, then accuracy checked then, CoC checked. My barrage fires 4+1+1+1+4 arrows (Volley Fire jewel and +1 projectiles from Dead/Sin) for 11 arrows per barrage. They also all pierce and have 92% chance to hit. On a large pack, this is a ton of crits on a single cast.

Let's assume the Barrage rolls crit (74.25% chance; 85% with Assassin's Mark with 20% increased effect) and fires 11 arrows. Remember now that if a Barrage rolls crit, all arrows in that volley are all rolled crits. If each arrows hits only 3 mobs (which is conservative on a large group) then the math would be 33*(hits).92(chance to hit)*.92(chance to truly crit)*0.69(chance to actually cast) = 19.27 Casts on Crit per a critical Barrage.

I fire 5 barrages per second (more actually, my attack time is .19). Obviously, not all of them will roll crit but it would only take 3 of the 5 barrages to roll crit to fire the cap of 20 of each spell per second (60%) but my crit chance is 85% (after golem, 5 power charges, +1% base crit from Dead/Sin and 20% increased effect Assassin's Mark).

This means that on any medium or larger pack we are getting close to or hitting 60 casts per second. On a large pack we are actually over the crit cap. On a lucky roll or with Diamond flask we can even reach this 60 spells/second cap on even smaller groups of monsters.

As to your concern for windup, it's irrelevant for this calculation as the hits are still staged and won't overlap the CoC 50ms cooldown. The windup time is already taken into account in the attack time and unless the enemies are positioned in a perfectly straight line relative to the Barrage the hits will still be staggered.

I also never claimed 1 million dps single target. That is completely impossible for this build; that part you're right on but I never made that claim (though I suppose people are usually talking about single target, aren't they?). I suppose I could calculate the single target and see what I get but for now I think I'll just remove the specific number from the build; I did some AOE calculations at 60 spells per second and the numbers were INSANE, though.
Last edited by Vaalamity on Apr 17, 2016, 4:25:00 AM
I am playing this on a newly created scion on PSC.

I'd say this isn't very beginner friendly.
I am have a hell of a time clearing Lab on level curve so you either pay for lab carry or you completely out level it by a shit load and run blast rain with a high dps bow until you get all 6 of your ascendancy points.

The ascendancy passives is really what makes (and breaks) this build. Before you get all 6 of your points you might as well play as an underpowered archer (with very low max life on top of that). Without Assassin, Quill Rain's crit is not viable, and without Deadeye, for the piercing % as well as projectile damage bonus with drillneck your spells are insanely weak.

But overall it's interesting build and i love spamming quill rain (but i hate explosive arrow) and everything explodes and looks cool as fuck, but I'd suggest people who decide to do build on a temporary league to pay for lab carry and get all your ascendancy points as soon as possible. This build doesnt work without BOTH of Assassin and Deadeye.

Or you overlevel the shit out of it as a shitty bow build that has very little life as a full life build (using high dps harbingers ect)... then convert after you got ALL your ascendancy. The build simply doesn't work before full ascendancy.

I had a hell of time soloing lab "on curve". I did norm lab at 31, cruel lab at 55 (died on last izaro a few times and then I had to run enfeeble because if izaro gets any damage buffs or if he gets vulnerability on you, you can die in 1 hit) and so on... it wasn't easy for a new player... at least not gonna be easy without getting lab carries or overleveling.

But it's a very satisfying build I gotta say.
The single target damage is decent but not 1 million dps... not even close. But they do work well enough... but it's just cool... love seeing quill rain getting in on the crit action and not some lame ass EA or CA build.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Apr 17, 2016, 7:29:00 AM
updated with videos.
Last edited by Vaalamity on Apr 17, 2016, 6:15:12 PM
"
Pewzor wrote:
I am playing this on a newly created scion on PSC.

I'd say this isn't very beginner friendly.
I am have a hell of a time clearing Lab on level curve so you either pay for lab carry or you completely out level it by a shit load and run blast rain with a high dps bow until you get all 6 of your ascendancy points.

The ascendancy passives is really what makes (and breaks) this build. Before you get all 6 of your points you might as well play as an underpowered archer (with very low max life on top of that). Without Assassin, Quill Rain's crit is not viable, and without Deadeye, for the piercing % as well as projectile damage bonus with drillneck your spells are insanely weak.

But overall it's interesting build and i love spamming quill rain (but i hate explosive arrow) and everything explodes and looks cool as fuck, but I'd suggest people who decide to do build on a temporary league to pay for lab carry and get all your ascendancy points as soon as possible. This build doesnt work without BOTH of Assassin and Deadeye.

Or you overlevel the shit out of it as a shitty bow build that has very little life as a full life build (using high dps harbingers ect)... then convert after you got ALL your ascendancy. The build simply doesn't work before full ascendancy.

I had a hell of time soloing lab "on curve". I did norm lab at 31, cruel lab at 55 (died on last izaro a few times and then I had to run enfeeble because if izaro gets any damage buffs or if he gets vulnerability on you, you can die in 1 hit) and so on... it wasn't easy for a new player... at least not gonna be easy without getting lab carries or overleveling.

But it's a very satisfying build I gotta say.
The single target damage is decent but not 1 million dps... not even close. But they do work well enough... but it's just cool... love seeing quill rain getting in on the crit action and not some lame ass EA or CA build.

You do essentially need to level as an under-powered archer. Fortunately for a few chaos you can still clear quickly if you stack a lot of flat damage and keep upgrading your bow to new uniques. I skipped Lab til level 60 then did all 3 (had help in Merci) and switched over to CoC at that time. CoC is usually a bitch to level as you can't really use it til the build is done. But once it is, it's beautiful =)

As for a million DPS, I agree, it can't get close to that single target so I edited that as to avoid misleading people. I wasn't talking about single target when I was implying that but now I realize no one gives a shit about AoE dmg lol.
Last edited by Vaalamity on Apr 17, 2016, 6:19:15 PM
"
Vaalamity wrote:
CoC can absolutely reach 60 casts per second, and regularly does. Here's why. Each barrage is crit calculated once, then accuracy checked then, CoC checked. My barrage fires 4+1+1+1+4 arrows (Volley Fire jewel and +1 projectiles from Dead/Sin) for 11 arrows per barrage. They also all pierce and have 92% chance to hit. On a large pack, this is a ton of crits on a single cast.

Let's assume the Barrage rolls crit (74.25% chance; 85% with Assassin's Mark with 20% increased effect) and fires 11 arrows. Remember now that if a Barrage rolls crit, all arrows in that volley are all rolled crits. If each arrows hits only 3 mobs (which is conservative on a large group) then the math would be 33*(hits).92(chance to hit)*.92(chance to truly crit)*0.69(chance to actually cast) = 19.27 Casts on Crit per a critical Barrage.

I fire 5 barrages per second (more actually, my attack time is .19). Obviously, not all of them will roll crit but it would only take 3 of the 5 barrages to roll crit to fire the cap of 20 of each spell per second (60%) but my crit chance is 85% (after golem, 5 power charges, +1% base crit from Dead/Sin and 20% increased effect Assassin's Mark).

This means that on any medium or larger pack we are getting close to or hitting 60 casts per second. On a large pack we are actually over the crit cap. On a lucky roll or with Diamond flask we can even reach this 60 spells/second cap on even smaller groups of monsters.

As to your concern for windup, it's irrelevant for this calculation as the hits are still staged and won't overlap the CoC 50ms cooldown. The windup time is already taken into account in the attack time and unless the enemies are positioned in a perfectly straight line relative to the Barrage the hits will still be staggered.

I also never claimed 1 million dps single target. That is completely impossible for this build; that part you're right on but I never made that claim (though I suppose people are usually talking about single target, aren't they?). I suppose I could calculate the single target and see what I get but for now I think I'll just remove the specific number from the build; I did some AOE calculations at 60 spells per second and the numbers were INSANE, though.

I won't explain why this explanation is wrong. Things take too much time.

There is a simpler way. Make a 4 link GGGR or GGBR. Socket in Barrage CoC Blade Vortex/Summon Raging Spirits and Less Duration. They have a 50 blade/spirit limit though, testing even 50 is enough for me. Fire into a pack for 1 second, or continuously, your choice. If you can reach 20 spirits or 20 blades cast in just 1 second, or if you can keep 50 spirits/blades up without falling to 48 for a long time on packs, then you are close to being correct about your statements (proves 50 procs per second, but not 60 due to gem limitation).

Quick edit: If you reliably keep close to 50 spirits when firing into a pack, then the next, you are showing 50 procs per 3 seconds. It must stay at 50 or reach 20 very quickly in only your first 1 seconds of firing into a crowded pack.

Test this, you'll see what your real average proc rate is in just 1 hour of testing.

Edit 2: Fixed some numbers, while writing on mobile, I wrote some wrong numbers which made it seem like you need to proc 50 spells per second, though I actually tried to mean 50 spells per 3 seconds.
Last edited by Mothren on Apr 19, 2016, 3:10:29 AM
Hi, I'm trying this build and find it fun to play.

I don't understand why you use EK instead of Magma Orb. EK has a low range and Magma Orb was taking advantage of Elemental Equilibrium.

Could you explain your choice?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info