[2.2] [HC] Oro's Flicker Strike Elementalist, HC Perandus

Just a write-up of possibly the most fun build i've played this league on HC which looks cool (Witch dragging around a 2h sword? c'mon) and doesn't really need any currency to achieve a fast clear speed because of the class/ascendancy mechanics.

Nothing new with using Oro's Sacrifice for flicker strike but the Elementalist Witch ascendancy is an interesting alternative to the duelist/slayers with free melee splash or the shadow/tricksters with no mana cost.

So I present you...

The 2H Witch Elementalist Oro's RT Conflux Prolif Striker!
yeah no.

Spasming witch of fiery doom!
Nevermind.

Videos
Spoiler

White T6 Strand + the Zana spawned Arid Lake with demons & charges. Nothing special.
Youtube may have butchered the quality, apologies. I'll put up a better quality clip of a less linear map at some point.

Mechanics
Spoiler

Flicker Strike has a 2 second cooldown unless you have a frenzy charge to expend so you can override the cooldown, Oro's Sacrifice gives you a frenzy charge if you ignite an enemy.

From the passive tree and Oro's we have a combined 33% chance to ignite on every hit, multistrike lets you hit 3 times per frenzy charge so we are very unlikely to drop charges and run out of fuel for flicker strike.

In addition to this the Elementalist ascendancies give us Shaper of Desolation; 20% chance on kill to gain Elemental Conflux for 4 seconds that causes hits from all combined damage types to apply chill, shock, and ignite.

We also get Beacon of Ruin which is a free prolif to all these status ailments in a crappy radius of 9, melee splash by default is 14 radius but gets boosted by inc AE from the tree and other sources and will spread the prolif further since the splash damage counts as hits.

TL;DR 1 flicker strike into a pack of squish ribbons or whatever skellies

At the speed we are clearing we rarely drop Elemental Conflux let alone frenzy charges, ever.

So once we have permaflicker what do we do? Stack damage and survivability!

Passive Tree

Spoiler

Bandits: Oak, Kill, Kraityn. These are quite flexible, if you want attack speed for the slow oro's go ahead and help kraityn in cruel. You can go with 3 total frenzy charges as well but I opted for the frenzy charge from merciless and I skip charges from the tree. The +40 max life from normal vs 5% max passive point is a whole other debate, just do as you please.

Leveling: I leveled quite comfortably using firestorm and tabula before transitioning to oro's and flicker at lvl 67. Just take the generic damage nodes at witch start while pathing down toward marauder and respec them later.
(Obviously take life/damage as you see fit for your current gear and level, I took a bunch of regen+max mana nodes and Mind over Matter which I refunded later but you don't need to deviate from the final tree as much.)

34 points: www.poeurl.com/BFc
67 points: www.poeurl.com/BFd
82 points: www.poeurl.com/BFf
You are around lvl 61 and in merciless act 3-4, start fixing the pathing at witch beginning so you can easily refund the spelldamage/crit nodes which won't benefit your flickering at 67.

Transition & Tree at lvl 67: www.poeurl.com/BFh -> www.poeurl.com/BFj
Now you refund and transition into the final tree for flicker strike. Grab Resolute technique. The dual curse/blasphemy/aura setups are up to you. I run enfeeble and warlord's mark on blasphemy.

After this you can stack more life and armor and get jewel slots. Drop the dex nodes according to your need.
My planned tree at 90 (currently 83) would be something like www.poeurl.com/BFk.
For more deeps and 5% radius you can go to the Explosive Impact cluster and make your way toward Purity of Flesh for chaos res and life. If you want you can go toward duelist life nodes and an additional frenzy charge as well.

Gearing and Items
Spoiler

My gear
Spoiler

The only thing you need for this build is

which costs under a chaos. The rolls make a bit of a difference in damage (~720-780 max dps) but they don't make or break the build. The highest rolls go for around 6c.

I managed around 200-240mil xp/hour in Merciless Dried Lake after transitioning at 67, on a 4link without kaom's.
Your 4-link should be Flicker Strike-Multistrike-Melee Splash-Fire Penetration/Weapon Elemental Damage. Fire Pen doesn't up your tooltip but makes the biggest difference vs most mobs with the slightest fire resistance or end charges. I would leave WED as the 5th link.

The rest of your gear can be rares but I recommend

since it has good dps stats for the build. Flat fire dmg to attacks and weapon ele %, some life and it GREATLY helps with reflect, especially when you get a 5link with WED and/or run flammability, start dealing near true damage to a beefy reflect rare afflicted by shock. It also costs <1chaos. You should easily be able to cap resists from the remaining 7 item slots.

IR is an option if you want to use armor/eva gear, I use purely armor gear since I have Unwavering Stance and well, just had some nice armor gear.

Movement speed on boots is nice but doesn't affect your speed when flicker striking at all and a leap slam setup will get you from A to B quite quickly if your pots are down. (I run both quicksilver and onslaught flask for the movement speed, onslaught also helps you get rolling when starting a map or zone because of the attack speed). If you can afford it, get MS for the quality of life.

Mainly just get as much life and armor as you can. On jewellery and belt you should focus on weapon elemental damage, the higher the % the better. Flat elemental damage to attacks is good too, you get the most out of fire. We have RT so accuracy and crit does nothing.

Your biggest issue in gearing is dex. HOLY SHIT THE DEX. A level 20 Flicker Strike gem needs 155dex, with the pathing and being a witch we get 24dex. Nicebuild.

I have 42dex from gear, http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fluid_Motion placed between Templar and Marauder for 64dex and one of the 30dex nodes. We path by all of them so at the cost of 4 passive points(and a jewel most people vendor) you can be rocking 178dex without any from gear. Adjust passives according to gear since getting dex on ring/ammy/gloves/belt/boots is not that hard and 155 is all you need.

Offense & Defense
Spoiler

Defense
My stats at 83:

There aren't a lot of defensive options, shield and block are out of the question with Oro's obviously and acro is a stretch on the tree.
I'm using a Kaom's so my defenses are stacking armor and life, 4 end charges with a high level CWDT-Immortal Call lasting almost 4seconds.

Life: 6263 w/ 6,1% regen
Armor: 6600 no granite, 20k with granite
Unwavering stance, cannot be stunned but no evasion.
4-Link Leap slam with fortify when i see a big pack, perandus or when i open a strongbox.
High level Enfeeble on Blasphemy.

TL;DR Nothing impressive.

Flicker by it's nature is quite defensive since most mobs don't get to hit you as you are flying all around them and they promptly disappear before harming you. On the flipside it's also notorious for accidentally putting you offscreen and exchanging greetings with a mobpack you didn't know was there or what affixes they had. 2h flicker isn't as bad since you are not going at dagger + 7 frenzy charge speeds and you can quite safely manage how much you flicker i.e. don't need to hold RMB down until 0 monsters remain. Most mobs will die to the burn you leave from prolifing a pack while you run to the next.

For me the build is something fast, fun and pretty to play. With my playstyle and choices for defense it won't push into high tier maps or run many mapmods. I rely on warlord's mark on blasphemy for mana leech/sustain so curse immune mobs are a speedbump if they don't explode instantly.

You can however play around with the passive tree and go for the duelist leech nodes and even go for Vaal Pact if you want to, this would free a blasphemy and let you run grace on IR/determination for better armor as well but as a witch takes quite a bit of travel and drops your life and damage.

Other defensive options include
and/or a basalt flask.

Currently my health drops from 6.2k to 5.1k when using Coil but I prefer Kaom's since the fire dmg equals 3-4 passive points on the tree and IT LOOKS SO GOOD. Won't be pushing past 7k life though and it's never a good mitigation when it's all you have.

Spoiler

Offense
@ 83 with 5link & Kaom's

Tooltip without any buffs/flasks or golem: 5665 (5665*3.47aps= 19 567dps)

With flame golem and 4 frenzy charges: 7485 (7485*6aps= 44 910dps)

Onslaught not 100% uptime so who cares. Golem thanks to Liege of the Primordial ascendancy almost never dies unless it facetanks slams since it's immune to elemental damage and also gives me around 6k dps which is nice.
Sibyl's, even though a budget unique, gives about 4k dps while greatly helping vs reflect. +29 max life helps and 16% reduced rarity doesn't.

Noteworthy passives & synergies

The Elementalists ascendancy points give 30% increased elemental damage and 30% increased duration of status ailments. Passive tree gives 13% fire penetration with weapons, 5link/fire pen. gem at lvl 19 gives 36% fire pen so in total we have 49% fire penetration without a curse. That's a lot and all we do is fire damage. Replacing enfeeble from the blasphemy setup with a lvl 19 flammability curse further lowers monster fire resistance by 43% for a total of 92% effective fire penetration for our damage.

From the wiki:
"
"These support gems are applied after the resistance of an enemy is capped to 75%. If an enemy starts with 120% resistance, and is attacked using a 40% penetration supported skill, the enemy resistance is first capped at 75%, then the support gems take effect, lowering enemy resistance to 35%. Penetration gems effectively lower enemy resistance caps"

TL;DR With flammability almost any monster is actually vulnerable to fire damage at -17% resistance

The Celestial Punishment node makes us deal 25% increased damage against frozen, shocked or ignited enemies which is essentially all mobs all of the time. The conflux buff from ascendancy rarely drops while clearing a pack and causes a prolifed shock (mobs take 50% increased damage) with all hits.

All in all the ascendancy choices and the passive tree synergise well together and make pretty circles where the mobs got deleted. Works great in party since your friends also have the benefit of nuking at shocked/chilled/ignited enemies most of the time.

Pros & Cons

Spoiler

Pros:
+ Clearspeed
+ Looks (2h witch, prolif)
+ Budget, 1chaos unique is the only requirement
+ Easy to level as a witch utilizing firestorm/flameblast
+ Works in a group and boosts others dps as long as you factor in the curses/auras
+ Flicker Strike (fun & avoidance to projectiles and some melee hits)
+ General Sustain (leech, regen, charges, permaflicker)

Cons:
- Flicker Strike (unpredictability with multistrike and full YOLO with the button. Ground effects)
- Ele Reflect (sibyl's or ruby flask =/=)
- Curse Immune mobs
- Rippy mapmods no go. Avoidance to status ailments at 40% still works, not much difference.
- Facetank
- Desynch when you go too fast even on lockstep

If you have questions feel free to pm me ingame (IGN: Temudai) or here! Stay safe.

Last bumped on Feb 12, 2017, 8:35:41 PM
Good and interesting read with lots of information + a very detailed guide. TY SS!
Nice guide -- I have an Oro's Elementalist (SC) [Meep_EleOro in my profile] -- yours is definitely better for HC.

Main differences that I'm puzzling out between our builds:
Proliferation:
- I'm not sure how much it's adding with the small radius and Flicker-MS-Splash hitting a ton of mobs. I don't feel like I have any issues with packs, so I opted for Pendulum of Destruction - an average of 40% damage increase

Auras:
- you're going double blasphemy where I'm running Anger (and when I get around to getting an Essence worm I'll have Anger / AA / Blasphemy)

Gear:
- Kaom's -- single target isn't really a problem with this build, so it's a really good choice, I'm considering Daresso's Definace for passive End Charge generation - swapping Enduring cry for Rallying cry's regen/damage boost.
- I haven't had much of an issue with reflect, normally I can just tap the flicker, back off while my leech/regen works, then tap again -- in HC it is more imperative to have a better solution, though I think fitting in AA will make it a non-issue with a ruby flask.

Tree:
- You go to curse / fire damage in the Witch area versus me going to get DEX/Fenzy/Leech/Life in the Duelist area (I also sacrifice the Marauder nodes to some extent here, too). Your sacrifice of a jewel spot for DEX seems like a good trade-off, but my pathing (and Daresso's) eliminates the need for Warlord's Mark. Adding in Iron Reflexes would allow much more gear flexibility as well. US is probably a very good node I'm ignoring, but I'm running one AR/ES piece to get some limited stun avoidance when ES is up.

Thanks for posting and giving me some more things to think about as I refine my build.
Last edited by meep_42 on Apr 8, 2016, 6:08:21 PM
"
meep_42 wrote:
Nice guide -- I have an Oro's Elementalist (SC) [Meep_EleOro in my profile] -- yours is definitely better for HC.

Main differences that I'm puzzling out between our builds:
Proliferation:
- I'm not sure how much it's adding with the small radius and Flicker-MS-Splash hitting a ton of mobs. I don't feel like I have any issues with packs, so I opted for Pendulum of Destruction - an average of 40% damage increase

Auras:
- you're going double blasphemy where I'm running Anger (and when I get around to getting an Essence worm I'll have Anger / AA / Blasphemy)

Gear:
- Kaom's -- single target isn't really a problem with this build, so it's a really good choice, I'm considering Daresso's Definace for passive End Charge generation - swapping Enduring cry for Rallying cry's regen/damage boost.
- I haven't had much of an issue with reflect, normally I can just tap the flicker, back off while my leech/regen works, then tap again -- in HC it is more imperative to have a better solution, though I think fitting in AA will make it a non-issue with a ruby flask.

Tree:
- You go to curse / fire damage in the Witch area versus me going to get DEX/Fenzy/Leech/Life in the Duelist area (I also sacrifice the Marauder nodes to some extent here, too). Your sacrifice of a jewel spot for DEX seems like a good trade-off, but my pathing (and Daresso's) eliminates the need for Warlord's Mark. Adding in Iron Reflexes would allow much more gear flexibility as well. US is probably a very good node I'm ignoring, but I'm running one AR/ES piece to get some limited stun avoidance when ES is up.

Thanks for posting and giving me some more things to think about as I refine my build.

Thank you!

Your charecters are hidden so I can't check your profile out sadly. They defaulted the privacy to hidden some patches ago so you propably need to uncheck it from your profile.

Prolif:
I felt the inconsistency of boosted damage from pendulum wasn't fitting for my playstyle. Beacon of Ruin does let you flicker past a white pack and they will die of the burn+shock that's proliferated but I agree it is not necessary for pack clearing or all-around gameplay nor will it give the single target boost of Pendulum when you hit the 4second window against a boss. Personally the melted destruction and pretty colours you leave behind is enough for me to keep Beacon ;).
Regarding HC and Oro's 10% increased fire damage taken i've thought about Paragon of Calamity for my last 2 ascendancy points to even out the damage taken difference (along with AA) but it also feels very situational and you have to take an initial hit from flame bearer/flameblast to get the reduction at all.

Auras:
I've thought about running a 50% aura and AA but for now i've kept the double curse since it's right next to where I path and warlord's has been the "easy way out" (also skip curse immune maps allthough manapotting worked but is a pain) to sustain mana and generate endurance charges. Lack of damage hasn't been an issue yet at tier 10 and lower maps, for HC i'd propably make the 50% aura determination/grace (if IR) for more survivability.

Gear:
Daresso would be absolutely be a solid choice if you don't want to generate the end charges through warlord's and would let you run flammability/enfeeble instead for more damage, or drop a curse and tweak in an aura. Added benefit of free onslaught too. The biggest issue for me here is switching around for IR right now to benefit from a hybrid chest and for HC I would definitely prefer Lightning Coil at that point.

www.poeurl.com/BGD Is a tree i've planned to try out once I start running higher tier maps, switching to Lightning Coil and a basalt flask, drop warlord's mark and run Grace + AA as auras. Also an option to keep the dualcurse and run flammability + enfeeble for more damage.

Reflect mob (not as mapmod) hasn't been an issue once I started using sybil's ring and havn't felt the need for a ruby flask. As far as i'm concerned I won't get more damage from tree until 90 while running Kaom's and the more life I get the less reflect affects me. Against a beefy shocked mob that takes 2-3 hits i might go down 1,5k but it's quickly leeched and regenerated before I even think about potting. AA would definitely be my solution here if my damage were to spike up. And as you said just single tapping the mob works fine even without if you see it beforehand.

Tree:
I wouldn't drop the witch fire node since it gives 3% flat fire pen and the most damage of all nodes for it's cost and dropping a bit of life/armor and the dualcurse 4 points would let me also get IR and the duelist leech, at 90 you could have both. Iron Reflexes is a good option I agree especially since you get more flexibility on gear and you can run grace for survivability.

Thanks for replying and giving some critique! Feedback is welcome and I enjoy reviewing and thinking over the choices for the build and how they could be improved.
I really like this build!

For SC, what do you think about going CI or even lowlife with a tree like this? poeurl.com/BHi

Aura nodes to reserve Discipline + Flammability + Warlord's

Might be too many strength travel nodes, but I do like some CI action.
Last edited by ThraxAttack on Apr 8, 2016, 10:44:47 PM
I've updated my account settings -- thanks for your response, I definitely think yours is a more solid choice for HC -- while i'm a little reckless it has been a little spotty against some bosses or perandus packs.

Here's my char for convenience:
Spoiler

Tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAQN1BLMFLQYOCfYOPBEtFE0UcRZvGJEZtBo4Gmwc3CFgIq8j0ySqJy8n7SyFMoky0TWSNuk4UzpSOtg64TwtQKBDMUVHRZ1Gt0d-TP9N41NSV-JYd1nzWhpeE18EYVJlTWjyapNrem8ncql07Xasdud35XrvfIN82YIHgpuDX4PMhmCOvo8aj2CQVZD6kSuSwZpqmuCdrqIAplenCKyqtz68n702vqfAZsMzxPbGrsi_z37Tb9QH1HzWWNi92Xzcjd9t37Dhc-Nq6hjr7u0g707wH_JF9zL46_xL_gr-jw==?accountName=meep_42&characterName=Meep_EleOro

Gear:
I just linked my Oro's so I could test Daresso's or Kaom's without any issue -- single target (Frenzy) hasn't been necessary, damage is very good from flicker. VLS was just a test, it isn't very good against bosses at the gem level I have, not really surprising. Rest of my gear is pretty cheap/crappy. (You can tell I'm SC because I haven't bothered to link a CWDT setup -- honestly it's mostly porcupines that worry me)

Next upgrades: Essence Worm, Daresso's/Kaom's + Boots/Gloves needed to cap resists
Currently running alch and go or corrupt T7/8s without any real trouble
verry interresting im allready trying this, thanks for the shared build :)
🅰🅻🅸🅽 ::: ! ♥ PoE ツ 👌 :::
What are you or would you think for a sixth link? Culling would give a faster kill on things that take more than 1 hit and some damage, endurance charge on stun would give endurance charges for sure, blind for def, or maybe faster attacks for more speed? Just from what I can think of that would be "best". Just curious which way you would go with it?

Cheers :D
Any changes for 2.3?
"
Visarogo wrote:
What are you or would you think for a sixth link? Culling would give a faster kill on things that take more than 1 hit and some damage, endurance charge on stun would give endurance charges for sure, blind for def, or maybe faster attacks for more speed? Just from what I can think of that would be "best". Just curious which way you would go with it?

Cheers :D

Faster Attacks all the way. No useful defensive supports really and FA would up the clearspeed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info