[2.2]Dual Curse + Mjölner + Scold's + Vaal Molten Shell = DeePeeEs (No Voll's)

Hello people, and welcome to this guide. Here is my first self-found build (had the idea, I did buy some gear though) and while I think it has a great potential, I would probably need some advices, as I'm pretty sure my tree is not optimized. While the gear is okay, it is far from perfect also.

Also, don't forget to check the bottom of the page, as I put my edits there.[/b]
-------------------------------

I would like to thank the following players for the inspiration and help they provided, probably without their knowledge ;) : tackle70 <=== for his Thor's Rainbow Nuke build and Mathil for the entertainment and his Scold's VMS build.

2.2 Build (Old Version)

Videos
https://youtu.be/zN--Ui7qAsQ<===Volcano Run (T10) (no sound, fuck Youtube ;()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM5CAjN-n3w<=== Shipyard Run(T12), Vulnerability/Porkepines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMLvK2AYciw&feature=youtu.be<=== Overgrown Ruin(T12), Minus max res, Beyond, Immune to Status Ailments and monster damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ_tkwoXo2s&feature=youtu.be<=== Palace Run(T14) : Ele Weakness, Beyond, Anarchy (old Setup, no Kaom's Heart/Determination, less tanky, aka excusing the stupid death to an exile in the video)

More videos will come soon

For this build to work, you're gonna need to be minimum lvl 70ish (as the Mjölner requires lvl 72 and the skills we take require great travel throughout the tree) and the following items :

As I know the Scold's Helmet can be expensive in standard and for some people, you can consider it as a huge upgrade to the build, but it is not required.

Ascendancy thoughts
While I have not tried every Ascendancy classes, my thoughts about them are quiete simple : first, to maximize damage while still having good survavibility, we need to get rid of lifeleech gem slot on Mjölner but we still need the leech. As Scion, you can take the Berserker ascendancy node that gives you 1.5% of any damage you deal(+ 10% more dmg and some other stuff). Then for the other sub-class, I went for the Elementalist as the res penetration is priceless on this build, as I believe lightning and fire resistances are the major threats to our DPS. The 30% increased dmg with your Fire Golem up comes up nicely to boost your Molten Shell damage.

But really, most important thing, it really is up to you what you choose, and it actually depends a lot on one player's taste. You could for exemple specc into Champion, wich would make you tankier while saving the Fortify gem for something else. I believe also that this build is doable with other Classes like the Duelist, Witch, and Templar but did not try them.

Now, the Pros & Cons :

Pros:

-Blue and red explosions all around, shits going everywhere

-Monsters melts.

-Really fast map Clearer thanks to Shield Charge/Leap Slam/Flicker Strike and a decent attack speed with the tree

-Boss Killer : As we penetrate 123%+ Lightning Res and 38 + fire res, they will vanish really quick.

-High Survavibility with Unawering Stance plus instant leech plus 5K+ life

-No momentum build, you can switch from chill to hyper-active whenever you want

-Versatility : I reckon you can adapt the tree to many classes.

-No 6L's, can even work in a 4L if you use Lightning Strike

Cons:

-Weak computers will melt too

-Weak computers of your party members will melt also

-For new players in standard, the total cost might be a bit high : You need 12ish exalt to make the build work entirely, as Scold's Helmet is expensive in std and it is required to make Vaal Molten Shell works to it's full extent. I would recommend doing this build on leagues as stuff are usually cheaper there

-I reckon very high level bosses like Core Malachai will RIP this build

-With the dual curse setup, Atziri is undoable because she reflects curses. You'd need to make up for another gem setup (like maybe x2 heralds ?) to defeat her.

-Don't know if this is hardcore viable, would require some external testing as I don't play hardcore

The Stats
Defence
<===No flasks
<== Flasks up

Damage
All of the following come with with 5 Power charges and my gems are not max level : Discharge is 19, Shock Nova is 16, Arc is 19 and VMS is 19. Take into consideration that since Mjolner and Scold's overide cast speed we look at the total combined spell damage instead of the dmg per use.
<== Arc No flasks
<===Arc + Atziri Flask
<===Discharge, no Flask
<===Discharge + Flask
<===Shock Nova lvl 16 no flask
<===Shock Nova lvl 16 + Flask
<===Vaal Molten Shell (and low level supports) no flask
<===Vaal Molten Shell (and low level supports) + Flask
As you can see, defence and damage can be improved. When you have your VMS up (wich will be a large part of your time, since it lasts 16 seconds), the DPS is really insane, + the double curse setup wich makes it even stronger. If someone could do the maths for me, I'd be really greatful, as I'm a tooltip warrior.

--------------------

My gear & Gem Links

Gems to swap for Boss kill :

Gems to play around with :
Controlled Destructiion would be good too. You would of course need to swap one of the Spells; if I had to choose, I'd probably remove Shock Nova.

EDIT : Feels like Lightning Penetration is just too good. Didn't do the maths, but since our build revolves around penetration, I think it still is really good. Penetration <== For more info

<===Depending of your playstyle, you might want to use Lightning Strike to trigger your Spells. I personally don't like it, but it can be usefull to attack really dangerous threats from afar and let Arc do the job. EDIT : You pretty much need LS for higher level of content. You still wanna use Molten Strike for bosses as it hit more often than LS. You would then only need a 4L as LS doesn't require GMP to work properly.
In case you wanted to play with Molten Strike only, you then should leapslam to each packs, as it would be dangerous to approach a pack by foot, depending on monsters lvl.

<== You don't need a legacy variant of this flask, as the regular version is still pretty good coupled with a Basalt Flask.

<== We now use the new Basalt Flask since it does a better job than a Granite on this build. We reach 52% Phys dmg Phys reduction with it being up. It lasts 6 Seconds also, wich is pretty good. You could consider equiping a 80%+ Increased Armour Granite too. (Defenses Pictures will be updated soon)

<== While being a luxury, the Vinktar Flask is not required because we grab Vaal Pact in the tree, wich is really good leech coupled with your massive damage and Berserker's Leech

For an explanation of how those items work, visit this page : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1581072, gear section. Tackle70 does a great job making it clear and the writing of this guide already took some time ;).

I am just gonna explain the Scold's part :
<=== This item makes you take damage when using your mana; Vaal Molten Shell procs every time you receive damage. Since you always take some damage (wich is really minor), your VMS will proc all the time while it is active. For exemple, your shield charge will proc it whenever it's up, wich means you'll be kind of a moving fire ball, wich is really cool ;). You can even only use this skill to clear maps, wich is ridiculous knowing you have three other spells waiting to be used.

Tankier, Better Setup
<=== I now take Kaom's Heart and run the Determination Aura, as I was feeling I needed more tankyness to be able to do the high level content of the game. I'm now sitting at 6.1K life and 50%+ Physical damage reduction with a Basalt up, 61% with VMS and Basalt; you can add the Fortify effect and the Taste of Hate to this and you get a pretty tanky character.

About the "no wrath" setup : to be honest, I didn't see any difference in T10's-T12's. You might start to notice a small difference in red maps... I think that the penetration does a major part of the work, damage-wise, so I think Determination is a better choice for hard maps.

Alternative Gear
Instead of
, you could use
if you miss attributes and life on your gear. I believe the Repentance Gloves are best in slot for this build though, as they give you +1% spell DMG per 5 strenght : we have at least 412 Strenght (for equiping the Mjölner), so they will give you around 80% increased Spell Damage.

If you want more life and feel comfortable with the armor you have.

If you want more Damage and more AoE. (You'll be somewhat squishy as this doesn't provide armor.)

Spell damage on your shield will give you more damage. Take this if you feel confident. I personally prefer a high armor shield as I feel like my damage is already outrageous and the increase of tanking that I get justifies the loss of some spell damage. The Gloves and Helm already give you at least 160% increased Spell damage.

If you don't have/can't afford a Scold's (ignore gems in slots)

if you don't have/can't afford a Doryani's Belt.

: A cheap alternative to a good rare Shield.

SkillTree & Bandits
http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABNzsoA5ZuPWBDvoCDCW-eykpfsJu1hMXDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2UEJTNZMnbAsi9G0Zl_RSUz1fl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJgRD9teUDA7De_rfq-NGeAS2V_djPfXm6EYangvfOVYB49GHRT60hcvZOdV1oCkZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcyfNlxhVcpRtcaOJBVJy862Ow4gpuaO-FzogAEs8Bm6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezacwn8tVtcEEXz8UIO8OUEfE9sauPC2DzINftz7-Cti9NZLyRTrhGYr7CfbaGo8qOA==<=== LvL 92 Skill Tree

http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABN8M6YeJVSyaVykpvnow2D6tQQoMJm7VfsFM1Fr87KG49A5ZgQySLkydsCyL0bRmX9FJTl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJj315uhj0YdFPrSZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezVW1wQRfPxQg7w5QR3GFVylG1xo4kFUnLzrY7DiCm5o74XOiAASzfNmnMJ_LEQ_bXlAwGGp4L3zlWAcXL2TnVdaApCo4GYr7CfbaGo_E9sau <=== LvL 72 Skill Tree, when you switch to Mjölner and Dual Curse setup.

Bandits : Normal : Oak (+40 HP) // Cruel : Kraytin (+8% Attack Speed) // Merc : Alira (+1 Power Charge) <===If you were to posess a Voll's Devotion, help Oak and grab the +1 Endurance charge near Templar Tree.

Keystones :
-Unwavering Stance = massive survivibility boost as you cannot be stunned.

-Resolute Technic : We can't miss any hits, wich improves the chances to trigger Spells with Mjölner. It also works quiete nicely with
since you can't crit, you don't lose power charges.

-Vaal Pact : Optional if you have Vinktar's Flask = Lets you leech large amount of life instantly.

If you guys see any improvement in the tree optimization, please let me know :)

Leveling Guide
For leveling, I would highly suggest to level with a Dual Flame Totem setup since it seems like it is the most straightforward way as the tree itself travels nearby totem points. keep in mind that you will need to respec at lvl 72. The respec points you get through questing should be enough though.

If you're only starting your league with this character (wich I wouldn't recomend because this build requires specific items that can be somewhat expensive), first roll a Templar, Witch or Marauder, do the Glyph Quest at Act I (only running, grabbing glyphs, activating the wall then returning to town should take you less than 10 minutes) and grab Flame Totem.

<=== Great and cheap item for a safe leveling.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Thousand_Ribbons<== Great all around chest

<==Massive damage boost for low investment.

<== 5 alterations is cheap for movement speed and the "cannot be frozen" mod.

<== This also is a good item for damage. You can go dual weilding for maximum efficiency.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Emberwake<== This ring provides Fire Damage, Fire Res and cast speed, wich synergyze pretty well with Flame totem.

For the Jewellery (Belt/Rings/Amulets, before switching to Mjölner), prioritize life, resistances, armor, potentially fire and spell damage too.

Links, Gems and Tree
As the tree doesn't take any mana nodes on the path, you'll have to either spec into "Soul Syphon" near the shadow start to get your mana on kill or use Clarity in order to make up for the Totem's mana cost. You could also make a good use of Elreon's Jewellery as they reduce the flat mana cost of your spells.

For your 4 Link.

http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABN8M6YeJVSyaVykpvnow2D6tQQoMJm7VfsFM1Fr87KG49A5ZgQySLkydsCyL0bRmX9FJTl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJj315uhj0YdFPrSZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezVW1wQRfPxQg7w5QR8T2xq48LYPMtz7-Cti9cYVXKUbXWOUqE1oro_IQzP6HeyD4kw48LKdKxPauGjiQVScvOtjsOIKbmjvhc6IABLM=

<=== LvL 70 "Totem Tree" : Pretty straightforward until you get "Ancestral Bond" for the +1 Totem. Then get whatever you think is better first, life or damage.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this guide as much as I did writing it, more videos will come soon. I consider taking this build to further testing to see the true potential and possibly swapping some gear too. I'll try and keep it updated.

Have fun and Cya in Wraeclast O/ !

UPDATES :

--28/03 Swapped my shield and body armor for
, tanking is now better, damage still really good.

--28/03 Now using Lightning Strike for Clearing and Molten Strike for Boss fights. LS is way safer as you attack from a greater distance

--29/03 Removed Shock Nova and replaced it by Lightning Pen. With the Dual Curse, the tree + Gem, my Lightning Spells penetrate 123%+ Lightning res while the curses/Pen gem are still low level.

---01/04 Added A leveling Guide section.

---01/04 Added a Tankier Gear/Aura Setup. Added a LvL 72 Skill Tree. Added a Palace run Video in the video section.

After many tests and trials of the high level content of the game, I came to the conclusion that this build requires more tanking than I had expected. Keep in my mind that you can still use the previous gearing/aura setup for lvl T10 and less though.
However, I still wanted to keep the high damage of the character, so I didn't touch the tree.

Only things I changed to make the build viable at high level are the chest/shield and aura. I now use a Kaom's Heart coupled with a high armor shield and the Determination aura. With everything up (Vaal Molten Shell + Potions) I get up to 89% Physical Damage Reduction with 6K+ life. You add the Fortify effect and Vaal Pact's Leech to that and you get a pretty tanky character. Knowing I was already tanking a Palace Dominus with the old setup, I think this is now really good.

2.2 Build (New Version)
For more informations about the mechanics and various other infos concerning this build, please refer to the "Old Build" section; few things have changed and the core idea of the build remains the same. It is just way tankier.

In this section, I will cover the new gear/aura, the new image stats and the new videos.

The Pros & Cons :

Pros:

-Blue and red explosions all around, shits going everywhere

-Monsters melts.

-Really fast map Clearer thanks to Shield Charge/Leap Slam and a decent attack speed with the tree

-Boss Killer : As we penetrate 123%+ Lightning Res and 38 + fire res, they will vanish really quick.

-Good Survavibility : Unwavering Stance / Vaal Pact (Instant Leech) / High Phys Dmg Reduction : 89% with everything up / 6K+ Life

-No momentum build, you can switch from chill to hyper-active whenever you want

-Versatility : I reckon you can adapt the tree to many classes.

-No 6L's

Cons:

-Weak computers will melt too

-Weak computers of your party members will melt also

-For new players in standard, the total cost might be a bit high : You need 12ish exalt to make the build work entirely, as Scold's Helmet is expensive in std and it is required to make Vaal Molten Shell works to it's full extent. I would recommend doing this build on leagues as stuff are usually cheaper there

-I reckon very high level bosses like Core Malachai will RIP this build

-With the dual curse setup, Atziri is undoable because she reflects curses. You'd need to make up for another aura setup, like Wrath and Purity of Fire to defeat her. Didnt try but I think she's easily doable.

-Don't know if this is hardcore viable, would require some external testing as I don't play hardcore

The Videos
For more videos, check the "old build" sections (T14 Palace over there). More updated videos will come soon, I just need to loot some red maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFdXfbg2d8&feature=youtu.be <=== Tier 11 Academy Map, Vulnerability. The boss doesn't last longer than 0.7 seconds. Pretty insane.

The Stats
Defence

<=== Stats in Town

<=== With Determination Aura

<=== Determination + Flasks

<=== Determination + Flasks + Vaal Molten Shell

Offence
All the following pictures come with 5 power charges up. As we have power charges up all the time, I think it is relevant.

As usual, we look at the Spell total Combined Damage, since our damage triggers from the Mjölner and Scold's, the trigger mechanic overrides the cast speed. Therefor, we actually deal way more damage than the tooltip tells us. In this build anyway.

<====Discharge

<=== Arc

<=== Vaal Molten Shell

As you can see, the defence is now really strong (you can switch to either Wrath, Purities or Heralds for Curse Immune Maps). With 6K life + 89% Phys damage reduction, few things in the game can one shot you when you have your flasks up.

The damage is also pretty insane : You need to take into consideration that we penetrate more than 120% Lightning resistances (with the dual curse setup + the penetration on the gem/tree) and at least 38% Fire resistances. You couple that with the Scold's/VMS mechanic and you got a serial boss killer, who will make high resistances mobs melt like their normal counterparts.

NOTE : If you're an excellent player and you can dodge everything, remove the Determination Aura for Wrath, you will deal substantially more damage while still being somewhat tanky with your flasks up. I don't recommend it for real tough bosses though.

My Gear, Gems&Links

<=== Those three pieces are the core items of the build. You could consider going no Scold's, but bare in mind that boss's fights will be longer and therefor more dangerous.

<=== I would consider this chest to be optimal but you can go for another chest if you really think you can justify it.

<=== Thoses pieces are really good but optional items. The Repentance Gloves really seem to be the best in slot item though : with all the strength we're stacking, it at least gives you %80 increased Spell damage(depending of the roll. I payed mine 1ex on std to give you an exemple).

<===Nothing exceptionnal but it does the job. I am of course picking Agates up, as this build would get so damned strong with a Voll's.

<=== The Flasks : On my opinion, you need the Basalt Flask and the %Increased Armour Granite Flask as the alliance of both of them seem just too strong.

The Legacy Vinktar Flask is a luxury and is not needed as we take Vaal Pact in the Tree. You could buy a Normal Vinktar's Flask though, as I think it would be a really nice defence/offence boost to the setup.

<=== Pretty simple for the jewels : prioritize % Maximum Life, then Sats required for the Mjölner (if you need them) then damage, then attack speed.

SkillTree & Bandits
http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABNzsoA5ZuPWBDvoCDCW-eykpfsJu1hMXDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeJVS4w2UEJTNZMnbAsi9G0Zl_RSUz1fl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJgRD9teUDA7De_rfq-NGeAS2V_djPfXm6EYangvfOVYB49GHRT60hcvZOdV1oCkZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcyfNlxhVcpRtcaOJBVJy862Ow4gpuaO-FzogAEs8Bm6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezacwn8tVtcEEXz8UIO8OUEfE9sauPC2DzINftz7-Cti9NZLyRTrhGYr7CfbaGo8qOA==<=== LvL 92 Skill Tree

http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABN8M6YeJVSyaVykpvnow2D6tQQoMJm7VfsFM1Fr87KG49A5ZgQySLkydsCyL0bRmX9FJTl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJj315uhj0YdFPrSZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezVW1wQRfPxQg7w5QR3GFVylG1xo4kFUnLzrY7DiCm5o74XOiAASzfNmnMJ_LEQ_bXlAwGGp4L3zlWAcXL2TnVdaApCo4GYr7CfbaGo_E9sau <=== LvL 72 Skill Tree, when you switch to Mjölner and Dual Curse setup.

Bandits : Normal : Oak (+40 HP) // Cruel : Kraytin (+8% Attack Speed) // Merc : Alira (+1 Power Charge) <===If you were to posess a Voll's Devotion, help Oak and grab the +1 Endurance charge near Templar Tree.

Keystones :
-Unwavering Stance = massive survivibility boost as you cannot be stunned.

-Resolute Technic : We can't miss any hits, wich improves the chances to trigger Spells with Mjölner. It also works quiete nicely with
since you can't crit, you don't lose power charges.

-Vaal Pact : Optional if you have Vinktar's Flask = Lets you leech large amount of life instantly.

If you guys see any improvement in the tree optimization, please let me know :)

Leveling Guide
For leveling, I would highly suggest to level with a Dual Flame Totem setup since it seems like it is the most straightforward way as the tree itself travels nearby totem points. keep in mind that you will need to respec at lvl 72. The respec points you get through questing should be enough though.

If you're only starting your league with this character (wich I wouldn't recomend because this build requires specific items that can be somewhat expensive), first roll a Templar, Witch or Marauder, do the Glyph Quest at Act I (only running, grabbing glyphs, activating the wall then returning to town should take you less than 10 minutes) and grab Flame Totem.

<=== Great and cheap item for a safe leveling.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Thousand_Ribbons<== Great all around chest

<==Massive damage boost for low investment.

<== 5 alterations is cheap for movement speed and the "cannot be frozen" mod.

<== This also is a good item for damage. You can go dual weilding for maximum efficiency.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Emberwake<== This ring provides Fire Damage, Fire Res and cast speed, wich synergyze pretty well with Flame totem.

For the Jewellery (Belt/Rings/Amulets, before switching to Mjölner), prioritize life, resistances, armor, potentially fire and spell damage too.

Links, Gems and Tree
As the tree doesn't take any mana nodes on the path, you'll have to either spec into "Soul Syphon" near the shadow start to get your mana on kill or use Clarity in order to make up for the Totem's mana cost. You could also make a good use of Elreon's Jewellery as they reduce the flat mana cost of your spells.

For your 4 Link.

http://www.poeplanner.com/AAAABAABN8M6YeJVSyaVykpvnow2D6tQQoMJm7VfsFM1Fr87KG49A5ZgQySLkydsCyL0bRmX9FJTl5VMswQHg9tVxjpYrJj315uhj0YdFPrSZp5yD1nzrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9-rY346xRx2XyCB_JB0iGezVW1wQRfPxQg7w5QR8T2xq48LYPMtz7-Cti9cYVXKUbXWOUqE1oro_IQzP6HeyD4kw48LKdKxPauGjiQVScvOtjsOIKbmjvhc6IABLM=

<=== LvL 70 "Totem Tree" : Pretty straightforward until you get "Ancestral Bond" for the +1 Totem. Then get whatever you think is better first, life or damage.

I am now satisfied with the setup and the next step I'm looking forward to is the Voll's Devotion. Feels bad I sold mine some while ago. I hope you'll have fun as much as I'm having with this build. I will keep it updated with tougher maps videos and some thoughts if those ever happen.

UPDATES :

--04/04 : Added the "New Build Section"; refer to this one for the most finalized version.

IGN: TeslaChronos / Face_Tankit
Last edited by JungTzu on Apr 4, 2016, 7:15:18 AM
Last bumped on May 17, 2016, 4:30:14 AM
Bump :)
Video added, more will come soon, build still through testing phase.
Following this, very cool idea! Probably will level one of my own later this league!
"
Following this, very cool idea! Probably will level one of my own later this league!

Thanks mate, and yeah, in Perandus it really is a budget build :).

!UPDATE! : Shipyard run Video added ! Check it out !
Build Updated and feels alsmost realised. Feel like I need criticism in order to keep going; fill me in guys !
Bump : New video added !
Looking really good man, Waiting for more updates, One of the specs i'm looking into.
Can you make a guide on how to lvl until you get mjolner?
"
An4rchy wrote:
Looking really good man, Waiting for more updates, One of the specs i'm looking into.

Thank you man, a new update is coming as I did some tests with a Kaom's Heart equipped and Determination Aura instead of Wrath.

A Palace video is being uploaded also.

"
dramaticus wrote:
Can you make a guide on how to lvl until you get mjolner?

Sure, will do it very soon :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info