[2.2][Trickster] Venu's Budget Low Life Evasive Caster (Trickster, Crit, Evasion,ES, Low Life, EK)

Hi, there!
This is the first build i tried in Ascendancy and I would like to share it with you.
It is a "budget" build, which means you can run it very effectively at low cost (No Shav's, only 4l). You can do it with any spell you would like to play, crit or non-crit. I chose Crit Ethereal Knives for it's high damage and it being physical damage.

Build Idea

I always really liked the idea of an evasion based energy shield character. With the Ascendancy Launch, the Ascendancy class "Trickster" opened some new options. Combined with the unique ring
i created a low life build which has high defenses and of course high damage output.

Defense:
With Lori's Lantern equipped, ennemies are unlucky when damging you (when you are low life), which means their attack is rolled twice and the lower damage roll is taken.

So you have high evasion and a high pool of energy shield and with boosted (witch nodes and belt) new flasks like Stibnite flasks (ceates smoke cloud),Jade flasks (+3000 to evasion),Quartz flasks (attack/spell dodge) you take very few hits from ennemies. And if you take one you have a high ES pool to tank big hits (higher than life) and high mobility to dodge further hits and fast and high energy shield recharge as well as vaal pact leech to get to full energy shield again. For every dot (damage over time) we have flasks to dispell (poison,burn,bleed)

I really like this mechanisms of defense and the gameplay with it.
Spoiler
I am not sure, if the whole attack is rolled twice or only the attack damage,if the hit is successful. If the first is the case it would boost evasion/dodge a lot, because if you have 40% evasion and 10% dodge. The ennemy only has a 0.6*0.9*0.6*0.9=29% chance to hit instead of 0.6*0.9=54% without Lori's Lantern.

Thats the way i thought it works. Maybe I am wrong and the whole build idea is based on false assumptions. But anyway Lori's Lantern is still a huge defense boost if not. And I am hit very few times.

Maybe someone knows how it works

Affordability:
I started this build myself as first character in Perandus League. Usually ES based builds are very expensive and hard as a first character. But with this build my ES comes from cheap uniques, the Trickster Class and the aura discipline. I went Low Life with a Solaris Lorica and had 6k ES, with spending not even 20 chaos. I did maps, malachai, merciless Izaro easily with that setup.

Pros

-very viable on a low budget
-endgame and atziri viable (with budget version also)
-Definetely Hardcore viable. But not as safe as some regen armour tank. You need to know the game and react to difficult encounters
-use the skill you like the most
-High Defense: So many layers of strong defense. Strong flasks, high evasion, high ES pool, instant leech.
-High dps: around 85k with charges in a 5l with ek
-special gameplay
-Fully benefits from Ascendancy Classes (or is even now enabled by Ascendancy)
-Run all map mods (a few are of course still a pain in the ass. For blood magic you maybe need to respec out of GR, for reflect you have to shuffle gemsetup)
-very fast movement
-very good at boss fights

Cons

-with this kind of playstyle you need a bit knowledge of the game. Which means not, you need to be more active to not die
-It can hurt to miss the 2k ES from Shav's on the budget version
-a bit vulnerable to spell damage (especially physical, because we have no armour). You have to be careful about reflect and need to dodge high damage spells (which is easy with this build)
-with my gear version of this build, resistances are only capped and not overcapped. can be a problem in elemental weakness maps
-very curse dependent. No mana sustain without warlords mark

Tree and Bandits

Bandits

Normal: Kill all
Cruel: Oak or kill all
Merciless: Alira

On Cruel i think Oak is the best option.

My Current Tree at lvl 90

If your spell of choice is elemental or AoE, just change the shadow start to the upper elemental nodes and/or drop the "Sniper" for the witch AoE nodes

If you have a Prism Guardian you'll at least need one reduced Mana node to run two 50% and one 35% auras.

With higher levels you can:
-drop the +30 Strength node, if your gear compensates it
-take all remaining ES nodes (8 nodes for 46% ES and 20% evasion)
-go for the extra crit with "True Strike" through Harrier (5 nodes)
-go for "Leadership" for extra blasphemy range and aura effectiveness (4 nodes)
-take two more power charges (6 nodes)(That's what I'll do first)
-get the spell damage in the with area (5 nodes for 58% dmg)
-get more Jewel slots (3 more slost availible)
-take "Faith and Steel" (3 nodes)

And there are plenty of other options.
Decide what is best for you and maybe combine some options for point effectiveness.

My Jewels:

Gear

My Current Gear

Chest

Since we are low life and chaos damage would bypass our energy shield and kill us immediately, we only have two choices here:
The budget Solaris Lorica:

And the best but expensive option Shavronne's Wrappings:

I used Solaris Lorica up to level 82 and is definetely viable. But Shavronne's Wrapping is worth it costs. Check "Stats" for the comparison

I saved all my currency for it. You'll get a decent one for 3-4ex and if you catch a low roll with good price even for 2ex-2.5ex now in Perandus League

Helmet

this is very cheap in non-hardcore leagues. And it it gives so much ES and evasion. And the +1 for all gems and 50% reduced mana cost is so nice for leveling. A 5l is not much of an improvement to it.

This is the most cost-efficient item you can get for that build. Get it!!!
If you're on hardcore, where they cost much more, try to get a decent Evasion/ES Helmet or ES only.

I got very lucky with the enchantment. Was not even farming for it. As you can guess it is kind of a quality-of-life improvement and definetely not needed!

Gloves

you have plenty of options here:
-Voidbringer
You have to deal with the high mana costs here but if you manage it, enjoy super high crit and ES gain on kill.
-Facebreaker
much Crit multiplier
-Maligaro's Virtuosity
crit chance/multiplier and a bit attack speed for whirling blades

-I went for rare gloves because i wanted a bit more ES and evasion and needed to cap my resistances:

I guess Decree of Blades is the best Entchantment here

Boots

cheap option to get high movement speed, decent ES and evasion, and Dexterity which we need for gems and Intelligence which raises our ES pool a bit

This is again a lucky Enchantment. The best option in my opinion, but again not needed.

This is also a good option, you'll lose the 100 ES though

Rare boots with high es or ES/evasion are another option

Belt

This Belt is awesome. It is a huge damage boost, and the 60% increased flask duration is SO nice for boss fights. Since it is a Talisman-only unique, it is a bit expensive. But thanks to Cadiro, not that expensive as it should be.

You have many other options here:
-A rare rustic sash or chain belt with ES/resists/flask mods
-Auxium for the ES boost and not getting freezed for 2-3sec
-Bated Breath for even faster Energy shield recharge and a bit damage, ES and Intelligence

Amulet

This is important, because stun can get you killed often, but you can try it with a rare res/attributes/damage amulet. I just felt like i needed the stun immunity.

Rings

This is the core of the build. It gives so much defense. "Unlucky" means every hit form an enemy is rolled twice and the lower value is taken. It boosts our evasion/dodge by a lot and we are less likely to get hit by a crit, or just high damage rolls.

Use second slots to cap resistances and meet Attribute requirements

Shield

I love this unique. It gives us free auras and gives a huge boost to them. Also much resits and dexterity which is nice.

But you can also go for a ES/evasion shield for the cost of auras, but you'd get a lot of ES

Weapon

This is the budget option and very very nice. It gives all we need: damage, crit,es, faster es recharge, mana and culling strike. But i think a high spell damage/crit rare dagger would be better

I am using

I found this and it increased the dps by a bit, but raised the crit by a lot which feels better.
Best in slot is some super high spell damage+crit dagger. Attack speed is a nice bonus for movement with whirling blades.

You can also use rare wands or void battery, but then you can't use whirling blades.

Flasks

these two flasks combined, makes it very hard to hit you.

+
brings even more layers of damage avoidance.

Dot dispells are very important on your flasks. I always have a anti-poison flask for poison on hit maps. And a anti-freeze flask is very important, too, because you can get freezed pretty long. As you can see at the flasks above, removing bleed and ignite is most important.

With faminebind Belt and the flask nodes you can easily facetank any attack based boss with these flasks.

Gems

Primary Skill

I will only show my choice: Ethereal Knives
I was using it in The Vertex in a 4l up to lvl 85:
4l:EK - Spell Echo - Pierce/Chain - added Fire/Empower
5l:EK - Spell Echo - Pierce/Chain - added Fire/Empower - inc. critical strikes
6l:EK - Spell Echo - Pierce/Chain - added Fire - Inc. crit. strikes - increased critical damage

Since i do not own a lvl 3 or 4 Empower, i can't say how strong it is, but i imagine that it will definetely be one of the 5 best supports

Pierce is a lot more dps than Chain, but maybe you like chain more because of the pack clear feeling.
Faster Casting is more dps than increased critical strikes, but i recommend increased critical strikes because it raises youre crit chance by a LOT and it feels much better, while clearing.
I am not sure about the best link setup, this is just my personal choice. Other options are:
-Empower
-Faster Casting (more dps than most gems but i felt like i didn't need it. I want to one shot mobs, and due to the Trickster nodes i have already much cast speed)
-Physical to Lightning (raises dps and you can shock but keep in mind, many mobs have more mitigation for elemental damage than physical)
-Faster projectiles (if you feel you need more range)
-Slower projectiles (lots of dps but not recommended, since youre range will be so bad)
-Power Charge on Critical (if you need a reliable source of power charges)
-added Cold/Lightning
-increased critical damage (good with high crit chance but be careful againts reflect)

Auras

Auras I'm using by priotity:
In Prism Guardian:
-Discipline
-Hatred
-Grace/Haste (if you do high level content you maybe want grace(gives HUGE evasion) and for farming low level content swap in haste for the clear speed)

From Mana:
-Blasphemy Warlord's Mark
with WM you dont need to worry about mana sustain, and you have extra survivability with Ghost Reaver. You can't max WM, unless you invest heavily in getting more strength.
If you think you don't need the mana/ES leech you can get another dps curse like projectile weakness or vulnerability
-Blasphemy Assassin's Mark (best dps boost in my opinion, and delivers power charges)
-Herald of Ash (bit more dps. Level of it doesn't improve dps)

You can run a curse-on-hit setup with maybe arc or orb of storms and then enjoy more auras or get a high ES shield. But for me blasphemy was the by far the best solution.
-Fire Golem or Ice golem

Utility

Whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify

This is so awesome with this build. With a dagger with 1.4+ APS you're movig so fast, because you get attack speed from the Trickster nodes and haste. Fortify is nice for extra survivability.

Orb of storms - Power Charge in Critical - (Increased duration)

I use this for boss fights, when i can't get power charges with Assassin's Mark

Vaal Discipline - Vaal Grace - Vaal Haste/2nd Vaal Discipline - Increased Duration

These are all nice boosts, from which our build benefits a lot.

Lightning Warp - (Less duration) - (faster casting) - (rapid decay)
I am using Lightning Warp even without links. It is nice for Labyrinth runs and fast over-cliffs movements while mapping and leveling.

Stats

Defense

with Shav's and Grace unbuffed

with 4 flasks up (rumi's, jade, stibnite, quartz) without vaal auras

level 85 with Lorica without Energy from within Jewel
ES: 6012

Offense

level 85 EK lvl 19 dps 4 link in Vertex

5 Power Charges,after movement skill,with Grace(always like this when mapping): 43 704
5 Power Charges,after movement skill, after ES recharge, with Haste: 72 360

now in a 6l with 5 power charges after movement skill (without Haste) and lvl 20 EK but unleveld supports:

How to adapt to Map Mods

-Elemental reflect
Just swap hatred for haste, and swap all ele support gems (added fire, phys to lightning) for pure spell dmg ones (empower, faster casting etc)
-Phys reflect
This is one of the most difficult ones but doable. Swap Herald of Ash for Arctic Armour. Use phys to lightning and life leech and don't run increased critical strikes or increased critical damage. With rumi's up you should have no problem. Maybe take another granite flask with you and use flasks wisely.
Other option is, you swap in a high level spark with faster projectiles.
-I don't recommmend ele and phys reflect in one map
-Elemental weakness/-max res
Be very careful about elemental damage if you're not overcapped in elemental resistances. Know the boss before facing him and take the matching resistance flask with you (also in normal maps a good choice)
-Monsters poison on hit
Simply take a anti poison flask with you
-Blood Magic
Never did this but should be possible, drop a few auras, and maybe swap in life gain on hit to sustain life while casting(life leech and regen doesn't work because of vaal pact and ghost reaver)
-Curse immune
Turn off blasphemy and swap in clarity and life leech gem

I have many flasks to swap in for specific bosses and map mods. This is makes some situations so much safer

Atziri

Atziri is very easy with this build.
Here is why and some tips if you face her the first time:

Vaal Duo:
-Try to trigger one and the other one ~4sec later, so they're not firing at you simultaneously
-Always whirl away, when they prepare to do their melee smash
-Have a topaz flask ready for tanking some lightning beams and balls. But should be easy to dodge most of them with whirling blades
-pop flasks and run/whirl around or vaal auras to recharge es
-get them both low hp at same time, if one dies the other one enrages

Trio:
-You have to focus one. Each time one dies the other ones enrage and get on full life. The range titty bitch is best to focus first. Then go for dual striker and then cycloner last.
-After you killed one, there is some strong dot on the ground. This is highly dangerous for this build. Try to kill them in corners, and always stay away from the area you killed them.
-They are all attack based, so its pretty easy to tank with flasks (prepare anti bleed) or whirl away to recharge

Atziri:
-Anti bleed and anti burn flasks are very important here. Better take a anti bleed ruby flask with you
-Always whirl around to dodge the flameblasts and storm calls. You can tank the smaller flameblast but will be ignited.
-Always immediately dispel bleed and burn to recharge ES
-In split phase try not to focus the one with the mirror (reflect). Focus one from the middle (such that no projectile can hit the mirror-one in the background).

WIth the super fast whirling blades movement you can easily dodge the high damage spells. And for attacks your flasks do the job. If you dispel all dots and use your flask charges for that wisely, this should be an easy run

Thank you for reading. This build is by far not optimized and still a work in progress. This is my first published build ever.
I try to optimize this build as far as i can and update this thread with new numbers/screenshots and maybe videos.

I appreciate feedback, thoughts, suggestions and questions :)
Last edited by VenuDuFond on Apr 13, 2016, 8:00:51 AM
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2016, 2:15:54 PM
Bump. Finished Guide (1st version)
Last edited by VenuDuFond on Mar 25, 2016, 6:19:54 AM
"
VenuDuFond wrote:

I am not sure about the best link setup, this is just a guess. Other options are:
-Physical to Lightning
-Faster projectiles
-Slower projectiles (lots of dps but not recommended, since youre range will be so bad)
-Power Charge on Critical
-Point Blank (not tried)
-Increased Critical Strikes (if you feel your crits are not consistent enough)
-added Cold/Lightning

Point blank only works with projectile attacks, it doesn't apply to spells.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:

Point blank only works with projectile attacks, it doesn't apply to spells.

Yeah, you're right, thank you, i overlooked this. Thanks for adding my build to your list. Much appreciate it.

I tried some more things and i will update the guide with stat screenshots, additional thoughts about gear and links and atziri section soon.
Last edited by VenuDuFond on Mar 29, 2016, 8:50:40 PM
Hi, I was just wondering why you didn't go down and get vaal pact for this build?
"
Hi, I was just wondering why you didn't go down and get vaal pact for this build?

Yeah i thought about this already. I just never felt i needed it and always went for more dps/es. But you're right for 3 skill points and no use of life regeneration there is no point in not taking it. It is a nice additional aspect of defense. Thank you for pointing it out.

Updated tree, some other stuff and added Atziri section.
Another question. What exactly are you using to leech life (Energy Shield) with? Is it an item or skill gem? or?
Nevermind forgot that warlords mark is leech lmao. I promise I'm not stupid.
Hi!

Nice guide. Im playing it right now and it's pretty cool and funny to play, im lv 88 right now.
I was wondering if you can upload a gameplay using this build.

I apologize for my bad english.
Thank you! :) Nice to hear that you like it.

Unfortunately my pc performs really really bad right now, and i even have multiple fps drops without recording in normal maps.
I would like to upload an atziri run with this build, since that could really show the characteristic and strength of this build, but i am not optimistic that i will manage it.

But for everyone running this build. Feel free to record your gameplay and upload it!!!

I would really like some videos.

I updated the build by a few additions:
-swapped one jewel for Energy from within. Now i have near to 8.2k ES
-added difficult map mods
-added some gem adjustments/pros and cons etc

I will be able to afford a 6l shav's in the next days and will update the build with new infos about links and stats

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info