Labyrinth,the worst content ever made in POE?

Did my first lab run since the day after it was released. Took me around 9mins, now i dont wanna play poe. Running past monsters on bad maps isnt fun
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
Ceri wrote:
That you (and others) enjoy it and find it thrilling, that's great. And I mean that, good for you. Now, if the Lab truly was optional content then all would be well. Decoupling Ascendancy points would accomplish that, and we could all be friends again. It's that simple, really. And please don't reboot that tired debate whether ascending is optional or not, just don't.

Well the issue is that the ascendancies wouldn't feel meaningful if there wouldn't be some challange involved getting them. And the labyrinth seems like a better spot than some random side quest to do that. And I don't really understand why traps are such a big issue, they are such a tiny part of the labyrinth. Most of the labyrinth is killing stuff, just like PoE. Most outside areas have no required trap-segments (there are some poison darts or some sawblades, but not more than in D3 and mostly you can just ignore them). There are 2-3 trap segments per run that actually have to be passed. Sometimes more but since you don't need many runs it is often quite easy to just look up the current layout and do it, exspecially since often the shortcuts are also made public. So I just can't understand why it is too much to do it 3 times and I would honestly agree if you only have to do merc to get all ascendancy points, since if you did it there, normal and cruel are even easier (well not at their level, I feel they are harder than merciless, but once being in merciless they are far easier).

Personally I would rather see the ascending tied to completing act 4, something that opens up after killing Malachai. Act 4 really needs an incentive in Merciless anyway, there's currently no reason at all continuing after the skill point quest in the Mines.

I also think act 4 is way more challenging than the Labyrinth is. My first forays into act 4 was terrifying, I died many times to a myriad of things and I don't die often normally. It was a great time. I finished the Labyrinth on my 2nd attempt, and went on to complete Cruel and Merciless on my first attempts. This on a fresh character in Perandus so my gear was terrible for sure. I was a bit overleveled but finished Merciless Lab at 71 which feels fair.

Traps aren't an issue to me, I have no problems navigating them. I just find them boring and time-consuming, an unwelcome addition. Like you say, most of the Lab is about killing stuff, which in itself is fine. What I don't think is fine is the forced reset thing and that you cannot TP out to sell loot and stuff. It's also way too long, half the number of areas would suffice. But to be honest the biggest annoyance is that if I mess up Izaro somehow, I have to redo from start. I find that infuriating, even though I realize it's my bad for messing up. Well, most of the time anyway. Either way when that happens I usually just quit the game, I lose all will to play. If that isn't a warning signal I don't know what is.

If they added waypoints before Izaro's room (one for each phase) then I probably wouldn't be so disappointed with the Labyrinth as a whole. I still wouldn't like it particularly, but I'd endure it.
I`m 10 days into Ascendancy and i think it is the best content ever made in poe. I like the design of the Labirinth,, i find the difficulty is well balanced and the perandus system exciting.
I failed normal Labirinth as i accesed it very early. I got 5-7 levels more than i done it without many problems.
In cruel i tried it as soon as i could at lvl 55 and when i got killed in a few second by Izaro`s pet i took the same aproach and delayed it till i got 5-7 levels more. Still at 3rd and final encounter it was very risky, ecpecially due to me having bad rezists, like 32 6 -6. Still i ascended.
I havent done it in merciless yest as i focuesed on mapping and i already took the interesting skills from ascendant tree.
Overall I really like labyrinth. Traps are sometimes annoying, but if you running straight to Izaro usually you don't need to pass across many of them. In this regard it's not big deal if you are using movement skills.
Side areas are different stories. While I am enjoying exploration or solving puzzles It feels completely unrewarding. At the end I ususally find dark shrine which can have negative impact or chest which is joke if you compare it with lockboxes. Compare to higher maps you gain very little exp and worse loot. So why should anyone run labyrinths except maybe racing on ladder later? Helmet enchantments? Well this sick RNG pool with inverted atribut restriction make it really frustrating experience with lack of progression.
I'd agree with "worst content ever made in POE" because it would be hard to fix the Lab's problems without a lot of work and/or without vitiating its core mechanics.

For me, traps simply aren't a fun kind of challenge, kind of like running a temp chains map. I avoid whenever I can and only put up with it at all because other parts of the game are fun.

Hopefully this is both the first and last trap-heavy content put into the game.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
I only do it to ascend otherwise waste of time. You dont get any exp like maps and 1 in a million enchant is not worth cycling Lab IMO. Maybe if mobs were way harder but that goes with all of POE where regular mobs are weak with no HP.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 21, 2016, 11:10:39 AM
Another day without EA enhancement on my helmet, cycle continue... very "fun" content.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Like what happened to previous hated content in the past, lab will probably get nerfed (bold prediction). Which in the end will only be dismissed as a tedious hump to get over with like the masters being leveled every new league. Ascendancy + skull enchants is a must upgrade, not an option, and people will wince and whine everytime they run through traps and puzzles when PoE's storyline finally wraps up.

Love this game and stucked with it, just that GGG should work on a more stable "lag-free" Izaro fight and no dc's if they stick to it having no checkpoints.
"
Jaille wrote:

"
I was watching a well-known streamer run merc lab yesterday. There were no golden doors, no backtracking, no weird layouts - just a straight shot from the beginning through to the final trial. After a few runs, this streamer, whose character could be considered complete and who was finishing the lab in only a few minutes per run, said:

"I literally feel my spirit leaving my body."

I could not think of a better description for how I feel running the labyrinth.

...so why was he doing it?
That's like if I sit in front of a Nickelback video on YouTube for 10 hours straight and complain that it sucks.
I could, you know, just not do it.

Why was he doing it? I don't know. You'd have to ask him. But I'd imagine it's for similar reasons as you keep trying to convince people who don't like the labyrinth that they should like the labyrinth. You could, you know, just not do it. But here we are.
Just poppin in to say i REALLY like the lab. Ascendancy has exceeded my expectations by far!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info